The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Interestingly Kinnock's son was the only red prince elected.
I struggle to see how the husband of the Danish Prime Minister can effectively represent his constituents and keep up his marriage when his wife is fully committed to her career 1000 miles away in Copenhagen.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I could probably check on the wiki but lazy. Do the results of the rl GE reflect on the results of the MHOC? (I know there will have only been around three occasions where this has happened but eh)
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
I could probably check on the wiki but lazy. Do the results of the rl GE reflect on the results of the MHOC? (I know there will have only been around three occasions where this has happened but eh)
I think to an extent, yes. 2010 led to a few years of Tory dominance.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I think to an extent, yes. 2010 led to a few years of Tory dominance.
Ohh, hmm.

Feeling awful as a liberal rn lmaoo
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not as posh as you'd think. He actually earnt his place in private school (scholarship for academic excellence). Think he did go to Oxford though.
Yes, Gove did go to Oxford, but not everybody's at Oxford's posh.

At the same time, the fact that he did well academically is irrelevant to whether he is posh.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Today our party moves on. Our leader, a man who stood up to the media, banks, energy companies and the pro-Israel lobby has resigned. He was an Opposition leader who stopped a Prime Minster from warring in Syria. A party leader who united a hugely divided party. A man who fought his brother for the his party's soul and won. Who took a punt on 'pre-distribution' and lost. The son of a Marxist. A thoroughly decent individual. He made eating a sandwich a political issue and still garnered more sex appeal than Tony Blair.

We fought the good fight, but lost. But this isn't the end, because in his own words, change happens because people like us don't give up.

Goodbye Ed. And despite everything, I liked you.

:sad:
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not to mention convincing Russell Brand that voting might actually be a good idea - something I don't believe a more right-wing leader could do.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Not to mention convincing Russell Brand that voting might actually be a good idea - something I don't believe a more right-wing leader could do.
You believed that.

Brand is an attention whore. He told people to vote Labour because he wanted the Tories out, not because Miliband changed his opinion of anything.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You believed that.

Brand is an attention whore. He told people to vote Labour because he wanted the Tories out, not because Miliband changed his opinion of anything.
I don't think he would have made the same declaration for David. Simple as. He certainly wouldn't have for Balls.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think he would have made the same declaration for David. Simple as. He certainly wouldn't have for Balls.
Sure but i don't think Miliband convinced him per say.. he was just a reasonable path to kick out Cameron or so he thought.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sure but i don't think Miliband convinced him per say.. he was just a reasonable path to kick out Cameron or so he thought.
The fact he was leader and as opposed to most other potential leaders convinced him I think. And that's what I said.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
What a WONDERFUL morning this is! I'm usually not this ecstatic about politics but this is ****ing perfect so far. :party2:

Did you wake up everyone?
Just about, how did you celebrate?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Amusing that the Express are offering £1 ferry trips to France.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Today our party moves on. Our leader, a man who stood up to the media, banks, energy companies and the pro-Israel lobby has resigned. He was an Opposition leader who stopped a Prime Minster from warring in Syria. A party leader who united a hugely divided party. A man who fought his brother for the his party's soul and won. Who took a punt on 'pre-distribution' and lost. The son of a Marxist. A thoroughly decent individual. He made eating a sandwich a political issue and still garnered more sex appeal than Tony Blair.

We fought the good fight, but lost. But this isn't the end, because in his own words, change happens because people like us don't give up.

Goodbye Ed. And despite everything, I liked you.

:sad:
Hear hear
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)

Amusing that the Express are offering £1 ferry trips to France.
Haha, they'll make a fortune from all the Lefties now fleeing in terror.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
That would be brilliant! Education needs him. Some stupid decisions, and tried some things too quickly without thinking the logistics through, but very much an excellent SoS.

I suspect he may get the EU negotiation role, though.

As for IDS, I respect him as a person but don't rate him as an MP. Thing is, he's still got some fairly big away with the more right-leaning Tories. Would perhaps not be the best idea to get rid of him and start divisions already!!
How on earth do you rate him as a person?
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
How on earth do you rate him as a person?
I think he's a principled, calm and dignified man. Always acts the right way. Not your Ed Balls type 'I know, if I just shout loudest the opposition won't get a word in edgeways' type arschlochs.
That said, even I find many of his policies abhorrent, and I don't find him particularly intelligent. But for how he handles himself, I have the utmost respect.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I will kinda miss Balls and his talking across the chamber and waving his arms around during PMQs (and I suppose generally too) if I'm going to be totally honest.
nixonsjellybeans
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
An interesting night by all accounts. I only wish I could have watched it all, damn work!

On the plus side Galloway has gone, the lib dems got the beating we've been waiting for, some of the big name losers are quite good Quite happy the kippers only got the one seat, Greens made slight progress and to top it off we've had a series of resignations :lol:

On the down side we now have a Tory majority, Clegg managed to cling onto his seat and Nigel will no doubt become leader again

On the local scale for GE Labour won of course. Green party vote went up mind due, TUSC plummeted as a result but I have little time for them. For the Council elections Labour held it with Greens in second.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
An interesting night by all accounts. I only wish I could have watched it all, damn work!

On the plus side Galloway has gone, the lib dems got the beating we've been waiting for, some of the big name losers are quite good Quite happy the kippers only got the one seat, Greens made slight progress and to top it off we've had a series of resignations :lol:

On the down side we now have a Tory majority, Clegg managed to cling onto his seat and Nigel will no doubt become leader again

On the local scale for GE Labour won of course. Green party vote went up mind due, TUSC plummeted as a result but I have little time for them. For the Council elections Labour held it with Greens in second.
The Lib Dems didn't really deserve their thrashing
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
66.33%
No I haven't decided yet (20)
20.41%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.27%

Watched Threads