Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Do you think we'll see Ward at all this season? Has Sakho been ruled out? Not sure if Toure will manage another 90 minutes after playing 120 minutes at the weekend.

Maybe drop Firmino for Ibe too since he wasn't great?
    Toure didn't really play 120 minutes though, did he? He played 90, because he replaced Sakho.

Firmino strikes me as a player who is best in and around the box, so I'd have him leading the line or playing very close to Origi tonight. The issue with Origi seems to be that he's an impact player, and I'm not sure whether that suits a start or not.

It's probably about time Benteke was used, in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    The thing about brand makes sense I suppose. Liverpool are one of the most supported clubs in the world. Don't buy the whole history thing though. If that was the case Nottingham Forest would be in at the expense of Chelsea/Arsenal.
    True, although our historical success lends to this brand.
    I think the difference with Forest is that they're no longer in the PL and they haven't been for a while.

All in all, I doubt it'll happen. It's a nice thought but it's a massive change. On top of that, what would the entry requirements be (because there'd have to be some)?
    Do you make it "fair" like in the CL and let second rate Eastern European sides compete or do you only let the best teams/biggest brands in?

ReputationRep:
    Are some of us believing this European super league? it came from the S*N.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Toure didn't really play 120 minutes though, did he? He played 90, because he replaced Sakho.

Firmino strikes me as a player who is best in and around the box, so I'd have him leading the line or playing very close to Origi tonight. The issue with Origi seems to be that he's an impact player, and I'm not sure whether that suits a start or not.

It's probably about time Benteke was used, in all honesty.
    Ah good point, forgot he came on after a bit. Wonder if it was tactical to use Lucas or if Kolo wasn't 100% ready to start on Sunday.

Yea I get the feeling both players need a partner to do well.

Benteke must know he's leaving in the summer.. must be plenty of PL clubs who would take him?

(Original post by LFC_fan_321)
    Are some of us believing this European super league? it came from the S*N.
    Don't believe it since it's from a **** source but I'm sure the Premier League breakaway seems implausible at the time but money dictates the way. There will be more money for an expanded CL and all the sponsors would probably love it too. It will happen eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    True, although our historical success lends to this brand.
    I think the difference with Forest is that they're no longer in the PL and they haven't been for a while.

All in all, I doubt it'll happen. It's a nice thought but it's a massive change. On top of that, what would the entry requirements be (because there'd have to be some)?
    Do you make it "fair" like in the CL and let second rate Eastern European sides compete or do you only let the best teams/biggest brands in?
    I personally am strongly against it. For me, if this idea became a reality, football would be dead. It would only serve the elite clubs. The likes of Leicester would never get a chance to compete in the Champions league even if they were to earn it on merit, like this season.

ReputationRep:
    I personally am strongly against it. For me, if this idea became a reality, football would be dead. It would only serve the elite clubs. The likes of Leicester would never get a chance to compete in the Champions league even if they were to earn it on merit, like this season.
    Is it any different to the current reality where the PL clubs make an absolute fortune and then the huge gap down to the Football League?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Is it any different to the current reality where the PL clubs make an absolute fortune and then the huge gap down to the Football League?
    Is there a huge gap though? Look at the semi finals of the FA Cup the last 3 seasons. Saints, Swansea and Watford have all been promoted in recent seasons and quickly established themselves in the PL.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a huge gap though? Look at the semi finals of the FA Cup the last 3 seasons. Saints, Swansea and Watford have all been promoted in recent seasons and quickly established themselves in the PL.
    Will be when the new TV deal kicks in from this summer. The TV money alone with net a PL club over £100mil. The Deloitte Football Rich List is dominated by PL clubs - making more money than foreign clubs which were traditionally seen as big clubs.

The teams in the Championship make below the £40mil threshold and it's even lower if you strip out the parachute payments - more like £25-30mil for the biggest clubs.

So you're probably looking at the weakest PL team making 3x as much as the richest Championship team.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Flanagan, Henderson, Can, Milner, Lallana, Firmino, Origi.

Subs: Ward, Skrtel, Moreno, Allen, Ibe, Coutinho, Benteke.

ReputationRep:
    Come on guys, let's get revenge.
    We really need to win anyway because if we aren't careful we won't even get a EL spot!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is mundane as ****.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Lallana 1-0!

ReputationRep:
    Woo Lallana

ReputationRep:
    Lallana 1-0!!!!!

We deserved that; we've been all over City.
    Sterling in Flanagan's back pocket.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we would've done better if Hart played on Sunday....

ReputationRep:
    If only Hart played on Sunday!

ReputationRep:
    You lose a cup final. Three days later you host the team that beat you in that final, and win. I think we've heard that before
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Caballero would have saved that.

ReputationRep:
    2-0 Milner!!!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    2-0 Milner!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.