Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Nah. Labour supporters overwhelmingly support remaining, and this will ensure the votes of centrists who care about the economy.
    I would hardly call 55:35 overwhelming enough, 61:39 excluding DK
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Mr Speaker, could you please change my vote to an abstention because the chief whip is disgusted by the idea of making a principled stand when it has no effect on the outcome. I maintain that this bill is an example of some of what is wrong with the house given that despite complains from several members from several sides at several points no amendment was needed to make the bill pass, and as such no amendment was put forwards, meaning this bill gives nobody free passes into the country and keeps telling the heroes they can **** off. Collective responsibility and all that *******s.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Nah. Labour supporters overwhelmingly support remaining, and this will ensure the votes of centrists who care about the economy.
    I'm not so sure. Labour's message of voting remain, rightly or wrongly, just hasn't been in much spotlight and it was only a few days ago that researched showed around half of the membership weren't aware of the party's stance in the referendum.

In addition, I think it might be the case that the renewed surge in Leave support could mainly be coming from Labour supporters. I'd have thought most Conservative supporters will have long decided how they were voting in the referendum and it goes without saying how UKIP and the Lib Dems will be voting. On the other hand, I don't think Labour members are as pro-remain as you speak. Part of the reason why UKIP surged before the election was renewed support from the working class which has traditionally been Labour's demographic and it could very well be the case that these guys are being swayed by the arguments on immigration. I think the amount of support for Remain in Labour is likely to be overstated by quite a bit (that is not to say that there's a majority for Brexit, but simply that support isn't overwhelming).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    According to vote leave Dave has signed a deal to give turkey visa free access to the EU and give it a seat on the European council all to happen immediately after the referendum:rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    According to vote leave Dave has signed a deal to give turkey visa free access to the EU and give it a seat on the European council all to happen immediately after the referendum:rolleyes:
    ...and they accuse Remain of speaking bull.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Gotta love how no matter what Labour Remainers have to attack the Tories, oddly it's only Labour that seem to be attacking the other parties.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, Patel is Priti good and Kendall truly is awful in this debate.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Labour's traditional voters are white working-class northerners and south Welsh people. They do not overwhelmingly support remaining, and if Labour campaigned on a promise to ignore a pro-Leave result, very significant numbers of them would switch to Ukip and they'd take the seats where they live and that Labour holds on the strength of their votes with them.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience labour supporters do not overwhelmingly support remain, the people who I have asked almost all support leave.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    ...and they accuse Remain of speaking bull.
    Exactly!!!
    Gotta love how no matter what Labour Remainers have to attack the Tories, oddly it's only Labour that seem to be attacking the other parties.
    TBF it is one of the more compelling leftist arguments. Then you get labour brexiters who say "vote leave to get rid of Cameron and trigger a GE" forgetting the fixed term parliament act...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Exactly!!!

TBF it is one of the more compelling leftist arguments. Then you get labour brexiters who say "vote leave to get rid of Cameron and trigger a GE" forgetting the fixed term parliament act...
    I haven't even heard that one argued...

I don't really see how it's compelling unless it's the left believing they cannot win any more elections and that the electorate that wants right wing government should not be allowed that.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I haven't even heard that one argued...

I don't really see how it's compelling unless it's the left believing they cannot win any more elections and that the electorate that wants right wing government should not be allowed that.
    Lots have been saying it... The most recent example was on the daily politics today.

I honestly don't understand it myself but the argument is definitely 'vote leave to take the awful Tories out of power'
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Lots have been saying it... The most recent example was on the daily politics today.

I honestly don't understand it myself but the argument is definitely 'vote leave to take the awful Tories out of power'
    Whatever the results we will almost certianly have a Tory government in 2020, but if we remain we know we will won't vote for our government for decades.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    How I would vote in the awards:
    1) TDA
    2) Kay
    3) B941
    4) D
    5) LM
    6) cran/TF (flip a coin?)

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually starting to get increasingly anxious about it all.

That's wishful thinking and won't actually win Labour many seats
    It will be tight, without a doubt. Probably 55-45 But the people of the UK are sick and tired of nonsense, they want to move forward and get their freedoms back- Achieved by voting leave
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Haven't posted here for a while ...
    Regarding the referendum I'm very anxious about the result ..... My gut feeling is that we will vote to leave although a degree of uncertainty does compale me ....all i will Say is this result is for ever .... We will never ( not in my lifetime) get another chance to vote on something like this and I think the British people need to vote wisely which is to vote leave on June 23rd
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Whatever the results we will almost certianly have a Tory government in 2020, but if we remain we know we will won't vote for our government for decades.
    ummm what on earth are you talking about?

(Original post by adam9317)
    It will be tight, without a doubt. Probably 55-45 But the people of the UK are sick and tired of nonsense, they want to move forward and get their freedoms back- Achieved by voting leave
    We are freer in.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    ummm what on earth are you talking about?
    The Tories will almost certainly win in 2020
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If we vote to remain by a slim margin then Labour stand no chance of winning in 2020 . And UKIP will take Labour and Conservative votes due to resentment against the remain parties
    If we vote leave then the Tories will still be the largest party although with a reduced majority / no clear majority.... Cameron will most certainly be forced out and likely a Brexit supporter will be elected leader and PM
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The Tories will almost certainly win in 2020
    The second part, about not electing our government...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.