The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chikaraispower
I was just thinking guys, does our EPQ topic have to be based on what we plan on doing at UNI, or can it be in the topic area of any one of our current A Levels?

Cheers for any answers :-)

Can be anything :smile:
Personally, I did it based on what I hope to study at uni - but that's only because I found it very interesting! I suggest doing it on whatever interests you most.
Original post by jellybellys
Can be anything :smile:
Personally, I did it based on what I hope to study at uni - but that's only because I found it very interesting! I suggest doing it on whatever interests you most.

*phew* Thank you, that's actually given me a lot of ideas now, I might even find this EPQ thing fun.

And I NEVER find work fun :wink:
I've done an activity log, critical evaluation of sources, liaison with expert and obv log book!
Anything else needed for a high marking EPQ?
I'm thinking of doing mine on "How effective is microfinance?". I want do an Econ degree - do you think the title is too vague, and if so, how can I improve it?
I have two questions.

Firstly, in the upcoming academic year I'll be taking four A2s in Maths, Economics, Politics and History. I haven't struggled with either the content or time management at AS, where I took the same four subjects at AS and additionally critical thinking. Bearing that in mind, does it sound like too much to take on an EPQ in year 13? It is probably worth mentioning I will have the summer to research and so have more time than I might otherwise.

Secondly, as I intend to study an economics degree does the title 'Implications of Behavioural Economics on the notion of an efficient market' sound like a good starting point? My plan thus far is to focus heavily on our inherent attitudes towards risk and the flaws in reasoning that affect how rational our decisions are.

Post results I am expecting to be considering unis such as Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, etc... so again this may be worth considering in regards to advise on both questions.
Original post by jennie23
I spent around 5-10 hours a week on mine but it was based on a hobby of mine so whenever i was at a rehearsal I was doing the primary research needed (which was 4-5 hours a week). It doesnt really affect your A levels as long as you plan your time effectively :smile:

okey dokes cheers
Original post by groovyd97
I'm thinking of doing mine on "How effective is microfinance?". I want do an Econ degree - do you think the title is too vague, and if so, how can I improve it?

I expect your supervisor will tell you that that is too vague, yes - exam boards like questions to be very specific. You might want to look into how microfinance effects a certain area of business or economics? But I know very little about either of those subjects, so I'm afraid I can't help you any further.
Hi guys if anyones on here? I need your help please haha.

For my epq I genuinely cant pick what question to do??? My options are
1) To what extent is the media both a cause and a solution of eating disorders (find it interesting having one myself)
2) Are islamic women opressed?
3) something to do with what i want to do at uni (economics)?
Original post by disillusion
Hi guys if anyones on here? I need your help please haha.

For my epq I genuinely cant pick what question to do??? My options are
1) To what extent is the media both a cause and a solution of eating disorders (find it interesting having one myself)
2) Are islamic women opressed?
3) something to do with what i want to do at uni (economics)?

Whilst an EPQ can be on anything you want, it's generally best to focus on the subject you want to study at university. Do you have any specific Economics-related question ideas?
Original post by LeFailFish
Whilst an EPQ can be on anything you want, it's generally best to focus on the subject you want to study at university. Do you have any specific Economics-related question ideas?

no, i have no idea ahahaha i can't make decisions!
Reply 5170
Original post by Futuremedic2096
I've done an activity log, critical evaluation of sources, liaison with expert and obv log book!
Anything else needed for a high marking EPQ?

Evidence of planning/reviewing your plan (e.g. Gantt/Cascade diagrams, showing that you've narrowed your question down) and reflection (basically your log book).

Posted from TSR Mobile
no, i have no idea ahahaha i can't make decisions!

If you want your EPQ to be as useful as possible for University applications, I would advise speaking to your Economics teacher for their advice regarding an Economics-based EPQ. However, if you want to do it to broaden your knowledge and/or for fun, just pick something you're interested in! Both of the questions you posed before sounded good, and if you already have ideas for them your EPQ is likely to be stronger.
Original post by LeFailFish
If you want your EPQ to be as useful as possible for University applications, I would advise speaking to your Economics teacher for their advice regarding an Economics-based EPQ. However, if you want to do it to broaden your knowledge and/or for fun, just pick something you're interested in! Both of the questions you posed before sounded good, and if you already have ideas for them your EPQ is likely to be stronger.

do you think i could merge them? like should funding for mental health services be increased or is the first option best
do you think i could merge them? like should funding for mental health services be increased or is the first option best

Merging them sounds like a good idea to me!
Original post by loua96
Evidence of planning/reviewing your plan (e.g. Gantt/Cascade diagrams, showing that you've narrowed your question down) and reflection (basically your log book).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks do we need an activity log as well as a Gantt chart
Thanks do we need an activity log as well as a Gantt chart

Yup. I handed in my production log and a Gantt chart.
Original post by Amazing.
Yup. I handed in my production log and a Gantt chart.

So the. I did this on this day thing?
So the. I did this on this day thing?

Yes. The 'I did this on this day thing' is the Gantt chart.
I handed mine in last Wednesday. I literally did my EPQ in two days :tongue:
Original post by Amazing.
Yes. The 'I did this on this day thing' is the Gantt chart.
I handed mine in last Wednesday. I literally did my EPQ in two days :tongue:

I've done one that says this alongside the GANTR chart but they don't coincide! What do you mean by production log?
The log book?
I've done one that says this alongside the GANTR chart but they don't coincide! What do you mean by production log?
The log book?

Yes the production log is the log book. Different schools call it different things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending