The Monopoly TSR Alliance Watch

hobo06
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sephiroth)
The point is, you don't completely change a game's mechanics midway through. I've planned to work my way up to large streets, selling smaller ones when they're no longer worth it etc. (strategy!) and now my 30mil street isn't generating any more rent per building than a 1mil street.

And yes, clicking a mouse for hours is effort. Especially the searching all over Europe and Japan for long streets. I could be doing something else with that time and that's my plan. This game isn't worth playing in its current form. When you make such a major change to an online game it's the norm to reset it. Right now it's a different game, but some got a head start.

Of course you're happy with the change because more than likely you were spending five minutes a day on it, sitting with 10 500k streets and doing poorly. I on the other hand play these games competitively, and there's no competition if a gameplay change makes your competitors 20 times harder to catch. There is no point to the game any more, maybe there never was for you. That's fair enough. Play it how you want to but don't ***** at other people for doing the same.
How about you stop complaining about what you could be doing better with your time, and actually do something better with your time? No one is forcing you to search for hours for an expensive, long street for the sake of a game.
And, as I said in the post you actually quoted, I spent quite some time building over 100 houses on a street last night. Now, being the expert you seem to be on this game, I'd expect you to have some idea of how long that would take. That's not just a 5 minute job. But how much do I really care about it? Hardly. Because it's just a game. Last night I didn't have much else to do, so I did that, and for that reason, I would hardly call it an effort either.
Hasbro can do whatever they like with the game. They don't have to let anyone play it. They can even charge people to play if they wanted to (though I don't imagine it would be very popular if they did, after this launch). If you don't like the way they run the game, don't play it. Simple as. I'm sure one player isn't going to be a huge loss to Hasbro.
And for the record, I have 3 roads. The only 3 I have bought, I've never sold any. They would have brought in 40mil before the rent change, now they bring in 12mil. Again, as the post which you quoted stated.
Sephiroth
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hobo06)
How about you stop complaining about what you could be doing better with your time, and actually do something better with your time? No one is forcing you to search for hours for an expensive, long street for the sake of a game.
How about actually reading what I've written? I fully intend to "do something better with my time". However I don't mind putting in that time for a game that works as intended from start to finish. The amount of time I've spent on web browser games over the years is probably more than console gaming but I don't mind that as long as it's competitive. MCS is not competitive due to the change. Do you understand that?

If you don't like the way they run the game, don't play it. Simple as.
Yet you're whining about me doing exactly that.

I can't be bothered with the rest of your post because I'm getting ready to go out and my main point was said above.

I have built buildings today on the small chance Hasbro reverse the change because so far you're the only person I've encountered who doesn't oppose it. If everyone did what you just said, would you enjoy the game being the only player? You may as well play Sim City. Not that SC is bad, it's great, but it's the competitiveness of MCS that I found interesting.

I am done with this debate because eventually a mod is going to come in with the delete post and warn buttons. If you wish to continue then PM me.
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How about actually reading what I've written?
That's ironic, considering the several points I made before regarding what you had ignored from my previous post.
I fully intend to "do something better with my time". However I don't mind putting in that time for a game that works as intended from start to finish. The amount of time I've spent on web browser games over the years is probably more than console gaming but I don't mind that as long as it's competitive. MCS is not competitive due to the change. Do you understand that?
No, actually, I don't. The game is still competitive. No one, besides the cheaters, have had an unfair advantage in the game. If you read the blog, Hasbro still have the intention of dealing with the cheaters. I would think this change is just one step towards it. Then of course there are those that are top of the boards legitimately (and if the blog of BESTCHEATER someone posted is to go by, that is pretty much everyone in the global top 10, I don't know how honest that blog is, but I trust that Hasbro will deal with them appropriately if there has been cheating to reach that place). They have had no more of an advantage than anyone else. They have had just as long to play the game as everyone else, at the same rent rates. They just had some luck with the roads they managed to find. I think that's competitive, don't you?

Yet you're whining about me doing exactly that.

I can't be bothered with the rest of your post because I'm getting ready to go out and my main point was said above.
I believe this started with everyone else whining about the change. And the rest of my post was about the points I made previously that you ignored, so I don't expect you to to address those really.

I have built buildings today on the small chance Hasbro reverse the change because so far you're the only person I've encountered who doesn't oppose it. If everyone did what you just said, would you enjoy the game being the only player? You may as well play Sim City. Not that SC is bad, it's great, but it's the competitiveness of MCS that I found interesting.
It's really only people complaining about the change we've heard from. Which is only a portion of the total user base. Many people genuinely couldn't give a crap. And I expect most will continue playing, whether it be for a bit of fun, competing against their friends or in their area, or even global competition, to see what will happen to the cheaters, and try to make their way to the top under the new game settings. And for that reason, everyone won't do as I just said. (Although, admittedly, there would be a brief sense of pride if I were to dominate the world being the only remaining player )

I am done with this debate because eventually a mod is going to come in with the delete post and warn buttons. If you wish to continue then PM me.
Fair enough, I don't expect a reply. I just wanted to get my point across, as I believe everyone's opinion, whether others agree or not, deserves to be heard. Anyone else feel free to flame me if you disagree. I stand by everything I have said.

Edit: Hasbro have posted a new blog post in regards to the rent change.
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You see, I'd be fine playing to compete against people in my local area but when I signed up I didn't realise it would be based on your starting street. And while I have two accounts neither are in competitive locations. My first has four people in the area, my second has a #10 at 13 million while I'm at 111 million. No challenge...

The reason it's not competitive for legitimate players is for example if I had a street earning 30mil yesterday and you had a street earning 4mil yesterday. You'd only be a day behind if you could turn that 4mil street into a 30mil street tonight. Now with the reduction, it might make that 30mil rent 4mil and the 4mil rent 500k. Same percentage of reduction yes, but it will now take you more than one day to catch up that 26mil gap. Might take you a week. That's why I'm not happy. I'm not the best legitimate player in the game and this change has made catching up a lot harder.

I guess we'll agree to disagree though.
MikeL230
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Come on guys. The rent needed to be dropped. Maybe not as dramatically, or unannounced, but i would have reached 9,999,999,999 in under 2 weeks at the rate i was making money.

Lets not turn this into a battle

Now if someone can help me destroy KSHARPLESS so he has no bonus buildings, i can keep him from sabotaging me by freezing his rent
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Definitely, it needed to be dropped. But only with a game reset. It's that big a change.
MikeL230
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Definitely, it needed to be dropped. But only with a game reset. It's that big a change.
Yeah, i think Hasbro/Tribal just don't want any more bad rep from it.

They would be known as the company who failed at making an online game.... TWICE.

They won't reset it to be honest. It took enough persuasion to get them to reset it before.
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've yet to find a company who can make an online browser game work. I played Star Kingdoms for 7 years, it's a game where you build an army and grow in land and become bigger by taking other people's land with your army. It was full of cheaters too but at least you could kill them and outgrow them. The game reset every 2-3 months but never changed midway through. The only way to get a good cheat free game seems to be pay to play. Cities XL looks good but being in my third year of uni I don't fancy trying it.
Easywellyes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol...read the 'Even greats make mistakes' post www.bestcheater.wordpress.com

You know the games in trouble when the top 10 list is being used to advertise a cheating website.
Phobia27
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1 CHEATER NO 3 M 558,607,620,000 100%
2 CHEATER NO 4 M 558,604,047,000 100%
3 CHEATER NO 5 M 558,600,674,000 100%
4 CHEATER NO 6 M 558,597,579,000 100%
5 RAFKO M 429,179,431,000 80%
6 CHECK US OUT AT M 330,014,629,000 100%
7 BEST CHEATER M 330,011,731,000 100%
8 WWW DOT M 330,011,262,000 100%
9 DOT WORDPRESS M 330,007,658,000 100%
10 DOT COM M 330,004,000,000 100%

:lolwut:
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:rofl: The game is back online after maintenance, and the majority of the 'CHEATER' accounts in the Global leaderboard are in jail. Yet there is an enormous difference between 1st and 2nd place, I think they need to be looking into that top one...
DiamondsAreForever
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ive got a demolition card if anyone wants me to use it for thhem
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
ive got a demolition card if anyone wants me to use it for thhem
There's a guy named SMAL who has one road with a bonus building who demolished a building of mine this morning. Would be appreciated if you took care of that bonus building. I have a factory to build
DiamondsAreForever
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's a guy named SMAL who has one road with a bonus building who demolished a building of mine this morning. Would be appreciated if you took care of that bonus building. I have a factory to build

soo um how do i go about finding this person??? (im terrible at this!lol)
Rubgish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Woot. No. 9 globally :P Thats ridiculous considering I haven't played since they changed the rent around.
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
soo um how do i go about finding this person??? (im terrible at this!lol)
Go to Leaderboards, Friends, click 'Add a person to spy on' on the left hand side, add SMAL, click the username, his profile should pop up, listing his roads, and go for the one with the bonus building (Norwich Street)
MikeL230
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I bet my account got deleted.
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rubgish)
Woot. No. 9 globally :P Thats ridiculous considering I haven't played since they changed the rent around.
Woah I completely missed the TSR on the leaderboard. Nice one! TSR is on it's way to taking over the world!
MikeL230
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I should be third on the leaderboard with 1.4billion.

Strange.

My account hasnt been deleted either.
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah and the guy that had 500billion or something stupid has also disappeared from the board.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.48%
No - but I will (48)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.3%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (331)
47.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise