Turn on thread page Beta

Americans! - Where did you get in and with what grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Will attend University of St. Andrews in fall of 2010 majoring in International Relations and assigned to St. Regulus Hall.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone clarify the difference between a sandwich degree and a full time degree?
    How important are extracurriculars?
    And how important is junior year compared to senior year? I've messed up my junior year (grades-wise) quite a bit.
    I'm intending to major in French and Japanese, or the three-language route, and I'm looking at
    Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Southampton, Sheffield, UCL, and Exeter. Can anybody tell me where I can find the minimum requirements for Leeds? I have no idea how to navigate through their site. It's been driving me nuts.
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kissurmojo)
    I had ACT and SAT II's plus an AP but Edinburgh still wanted 2 other AP's (although they didn't specify a required grade for the new AP's). They don't really care about your GPA
    what does 'insurance' mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innaat)
    Could anyone clarify the difference between a sandwich degree and a full time degree?
    How important are extracurriculars?
    And how important is junior year compared to senior year? I've messed up my junior year (grades-wise) quite a bit.
    I'm intending to major in French and Japanese, or the three-language route, and I'm looking at
    Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Southampton, Sheffield, UCL, and Exeter. Can anybody tell me where I can find the minimum requirements for Leeds? I have no idea how to navigate through their site. It's been driving me nuts.
    thanks!
    A sandwich degree is one year of studies, on year of internship, one year of studies, one year of internship... Not necessarily one year each, but they're layered like a sandwich.

A full-time degree is studies full-time, i.e 3 years for a bachelor's degree (or four in Scotland or the US and so on).

Extracurricular does have some significance. As a general rule, 25% of your personal statement should be about your ECs and you should only talk about them in the sense of how they will help you with your degree. I.e working at this office have given me time management skills which will be useful for my studies, or volunteering for this politician has given me further understanding of policy implementing. If you can't mention a skill you've gained from an EC, don't mention it at all.

Kick me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that American high school grades are a bit "la la la" to UK universities, which is why you need 1 year at American universities OR APs to be qualified for entry.

UCL is ranked the 4th best university in the world, better than Princeton and it is quite competitive. You'll need 5s in your APs and more than just a few of them, I would reckon. If you feel that you can compete for Princeton, you can compete for UCL.

Birmingham is quite different, many British people have BCC/CCC in their A-levels and can get in there. (A-levels could be compared to American APs). The other universities are sort of in between.

And you apply for 5 univerisites, they will then give you offers. The offers are usually "We will give you a place at this university IF you get these grades". You will then pick a 1st and a 2nd choice, with two different grade boundries. Let's say UCL demands 5 APs with 5 in each, and Birmingham 3 APs with 3. Then Birmingham could be your backup, in case you don't get 5 APs with 5. That's why it's called an insurance.

ReputationRep:
    It took me a while to figure out your question but I think you're asking about my signature. The long explanation is at the UCAS website - all UK university apllications go through there. You need to visit and find out about the application process http://www.ucas.ac.uk/.

However, the short answer is that you pick 5 courses to apply to in UCAS. You either get rejected, unconditionally accepted (meaning you have all the qualifications needed), or you get a conditional offer (meaning you have to pass an exam at a certain grade or something else - like graduate HS).

Once all the 5 universities have responded to you with offers (hopefully), you then have to choose to accept one as your first choice (firm) and one as your second choice (insurance). This only works if your firm is asking higher qualifications that your insurance. Once the results are out, it will be clear whether you're going to the firm or insurance. If you firm an unconditional offer, you don't get to make an insurance choice. If you don't get any offers you go through "extra" - see UCAS. When exam results are out, if you miss the terms of your offer for both your firm and insurance, you go through "clearing" - see UCAS.

Good luck! PM me if you need more info

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the Leeds site and I couldn't find the US requirement either. My advice is to just e-mail the department and ask them. They're really good at responding, especially to overseas students, as you will pay full tuition.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I'm in a bit of an unusual situation and wondered if anyone could offer input. I left high school two years early and went to college; when I apply via UCAS I'll be a second year college student, but will also be 17. Since I left after 10th grade, I only took one AP exam (US history), which isn't relevant to my degree anyway (biology). I'll have SAT I results later this month, and my subject tests are all in the 700-800 range. My GPA is 3.9-something-or-other, with high As in all science subjects. Will the lack of APs undermine my application too much, do you think? Oh, and I'll be applying to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, St Andrews, and York. Thanks! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aetiology)
    Hello everyone,
    I'm in a bit of an unusual situation and wondered if anyone could offer input. I left high school two years early and went to college; when I apply via UCAS I'll be a second year college student, but will also be 17. Since I left after 10th grade, I only took one AP exam (US history), which isn't relevant to my degree anyway (biology). I'll have SAT I results later this month, and my subject tests are all in the 700-800 range. My GPA is 3.9-something-or-other, with high As in all science subjects. Will the lack of APs undermine my application too much, do you think? Oh, and I'll be applying to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, St Andrews, and York. Thanks! :p:
    Well your university grades will be important, but when I applied with both university grades and high school grades (not american ones though) they gave weight to both, not only the university ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synvilla)
    Well your university grades will be important, but when I applied with both university grades and high school grades (not american ones though) they gave weight to both, not only the university ones.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    So I posted this in the 'US Students at Edinburgh' thread but I want to ask this here since there seems to be more people who may know :

I sent in scanned copies of my AP scores and an unofficial copy of my SAT/subject test scores but I got an email (understandably) saying that the unofficial pdf of the SAT/2 scores cannot be accepted. I was sort of expecting that but College Board never sent me paper copies of my most recent SAT and subject test scores, so I have no proof except on my College Board account. I understood that if I sent the scores to Edinburgh through College Board then they wouldn't receive the official transcripts. Is this true, or should I go ahead and pay the fee to have College Board send my scores seeing as I don't have my own paper copy?

ReputationRep:
    You need to call in and pay the fee and have College Board send in any AP, SAT and SAT II subject exams scores you've taken and want sent via score choice. You will also need to request an official transcript be sent from your high school directly to the admissions department at the university you are applying to. Also, I can't remember whether it was the AP scores for the SAT score dept. but you will need to call in your request because the European universities may not be on the automatic address list and the person you will be talking to on the phone at Collge Board will have to look up the address manually (or you can give it to them to directly) for a 'hard copy' to be mailed. Don't forget to send in your AP scores -- you don't get college credit for AP but those scores are required and are factored in to the admissions decision the university makes. Also, the College Board phone number for the AP scores and SAT scores is different. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maromelon)
    So I posted this in the 'US Students at Edinburgh' thread but I want to ask this here since there seems to be more people who may know :

I sent in scanned copies of my AP scores and an unofficial copy of my SAT/subject test scores but I got an email (understandably) saying that the unofficial pdf of the SAT/2 scores cannot be accepted. I was sort of expecting that but College Board never sent me paper copies of my most recent SAT and subject test scores, so I have no proof except on my College Board account. I understood that if I sent the scores to Edinburgh through College Board then they wouldn't receive the official transcripts. Is this true, or should I go ahead and pay the fee to have College Board send my scores seeing as I don't have my own paper copy?
    The College of Secience and Engineering never got anything I sent and accepted scanned copies of everything, so for me college board was a waste of money but Edinburgh does have a code to send any type of score (AP, SAT, ACT). In comparison, Glasgow and Aberdeen got everything I sent.

Good luck - I only have my AP scores to send after they come out in July and I can be unconditional firm and get housing. Can't wait.

ReputationRep:
    I got into the University of Sheffield with a 3.2 GPA and 1 year of community college. No SAT or AP scores. I am a mature student though so I am not sure how big of a part that played. I wanted to give anyone in a similar situation to mine hope! So excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavendermyst)
    I got into the University of Sheffield with a 3.2 GPA and 1 year of community college. No SAT or AP scores. I am a mature student though so I am not sure how big of a part that played. I wanted to give anyone in a similar situation to mine hope! So excited!
    Congratulations! Are you Sheffield Hallam or Sheffield University? My gran lives near there and there's some really nice countryside around there (catch the bus or train to Edale or Castleton). My mom went to uni there.

ReputationRep:
    I got into University College London 6 years ago mind you, with a 3.9gpa and with a 5 in AP European History and 5 in AP Biology in my junior year of high school. I also had to pass an interview with the Head of Department. I was offered a conditional if I got a 3 in one more AP module. I met it with a 5s in AP US History, English Literature, English Language and a 4 in US gov't and politics. It was for a course that at the time asked for AAB in A-levels. My teacher's were confused at the concept of "predicted marks" so I wrote up a really ghetto form letter. When it came time to send transcripts, to my (and probably the Department's) horror the guidance counsellors didn't know how to send an international fax!

Nowadays the same course asks for A*AA at A-levels and 5,5,5,5 from Americans :eek: . It's worrying as I was quite lucky that my public high school offered these AP modules (despite our teachers NEVER finishing the syllabus and having to self-study! rrr), but I know this is not the case for most schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brazilianrocker)
    Philosophical reasons?? What reasons could those be? That is a major disadvantage for your students when applying to college.

LOL? no its not all about grades really, it should be balance and it depends on how much the student is committed to the course. i heard from my friend from st.andrews who is taking medicine, they look at the reference/personal statement/recommendations of the student who is applying to the university and plus the EXPERIENCE from the field that youre going to. for example, you want to do medicine, if you have an experience working/volunteering in a medical field then its a big plus. i never took AP classes because my school doesnt offer them, but the st. andrews told me the same thing as i got it from their email last month together with edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd throw my stats in from a while back when I applied to Cambirdge for PPS (and was accepted):

AP US History: 5
    AP US Government: 5
    AP Comparative Government: 5
    AP English Lang: 5
    AP English Lit: 5

SAT: 2290 (CR: 800; M: 690; W: 800)

ReputationRep:
    so how are you guys going to pay for university and everything like *books, phone, excursions and the like?*
    are you paying with your personal money means with your parents help?or loans?or did you save money? im curious, i know you guys asked this question already. but not all all answered this.

ReputationRep:
    lavenderymyst im also a mature student!am planning on going to community college here to, but im still waiting for the advice i asked to the universities. im not sure which classes should i take thats why im wondering if you can tell me what youve gone through. email me pls. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much the same things apply to US students who want to do undergrad in the UK as European students who want to do undergrad in the US. Unless you want to come out hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and loans or work for several years before entering college, the best way to pay is to have wealthy parents.

As far as spending type money, again either wealthy parents or you might apply for defer entry and work/save up for a year before entering.

If these options don't sound too good, remember you can always try to transfer to an actual university in the US after a year or two in community college.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.