Not Interested (10)
7.41%
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
It's awesome for people who have no real issues to worry about while they are there, who don't have to worry about being homless or having to move their stuff around all the time, who have money to go out, who are excited about living on their own etc lol. I doubt it's going to be very 'awesome' at all for me, but hopefully my course won't make lectures mandatory so I just won't go to any and will get a job for as many hours as I can reasonably do.

I will make it work, it's just not an exciting thing for me. I may really enjoy it when I get there of course. The positive thing is that I wont be able to afford to destroy my liver anymore

What I am happy about, however, is moving away from where I am. I will be poor and constantly frustrated but at least I will be that in a new place.

(8) always look on the bright side of life (8) and all that :awesome:
Ouch. Hopefully it all works out.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Adorno)
#Life's a piece of ****; when you look at it#
I know far too many people who have never even heard of Monty Python would you believe.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazylemon)
Ouch. Hopefully it all works out.
Ah, things always work themselves out eventually. I have no right to sit and complain forever - I can go to uni and deal with it [and at least doss/read etc] or get a job in a supermarket. The former, while not greatly appealing, is still preferable to the latter :yep:

Oh, and thanks

I hope awesome uni works out for you too :p:
Drogue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Are you doing your MSc part-time then?
Yep, though it's been on hold this year due to my Treasury secondment and the cancer. I'll be going back to do the second year from September.

With uni, won't you get a student loan, maybe a grant on top of that? You'd be surprised how far you can make that go. Working solidly out of term and doing a few hours a week during term tops this up to be enough to live on, at least at a student lifestyle.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Drogue)
Yep, though it's been on hold this year due to my Treasury secondment and the cancer. I'll be going back to do the second year from September.

With uni, won't you get a student loan, maybe a grant on top of that? You'd be surprised how far you can make that go. Working solidly out of term and doing a few hours a week during term tops this up to be enough to live on, at least at a student lifestyle.
I will get a full grant and a loan yes but by the time I have paid for travel and 51 weeks of accomodation I have very little left. If I can find a job when I'm there pretty sharpish I can make it work, if not then I can't and will look for a full time job and drop out.

Oh ok, well good luck with that
Drogue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I will get a full grant and a loan yes but by the time I have paid for travel and 51 weeks of accomodation I have very little left. If I can find a job when I'm there pretty sharpish I can make it work, if not then I can't and will look for a full time job and drop out.
One accommodation and travel are paid, living can be very cheap. Saving a bit by working this summer, then working during holidays, should provide enough to live on, with a bit extra for doing a few hours during term time. You won't be rolling in it at all, but food and the few sundry things you need can be very cheap when you're a student.
Adorno
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
One accommodation and travel are paid, living can be very cheap. Saving a bit by working this summer, then working during holidays, should provide enough to live on, with a bit extra for doing a few hours during term time. You won't be rolling in it at all, but food and the few sundry things you need can be very cheap when you're a student.
Unless you are at Oxford, my three years were fraught with financial hardship. Not allowed to work in term time, refused jobs at home because I wasn't around the whole year. And yet the rest of the people I knew lived very well.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can live on very little (I currently live on less than 50 pound a week) so I'm fine with all that it's just that with university comes new issues. Unless I can manage to get a 51 week let in the first place I probably wont be able to go this year anyway, and then after that there is little left. I can't work now, but during all holidays at uni I will if I can get a job, and will work in term time as well if I can. First thing I'm doing when I get whereever I go is paying a visit to the job-office.

I know I can do it with relative ease but the point I'm making really is that it's not fun for me. The prospect neither excites or particularly interests me and ultimately I see it as just another necessity - much like A levels, much like Maths/English GCSEs. It's perhaps quite sad that this is the case but you can't help how you feel. I'm hoping I get somewhere half-decent through clearing and end up at least enjoying the parties and such.

I wish I was rich and could get my mum to pay for me to doss around europe all year tbh, but such is life :p:
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This is just one week away, so it is! People will be receiving PM's about this later today or tomorrow.
daniel_williams
Badges: 15
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Metrobeans)
This is just one week away, so it is! People will be receiving PM's about this later today or tomorrow.
Afraid I'm a no for this now... I've got so much on at work I'm having to do a lot of overtime and weekends when the phone isn't ringing in the office is the only time I seem to be able to catch up on everything!
username202682
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I'm not sure man. Depends where you go. Like Oxford, at Cambridge you can't work during the term times. It isn't worth or usually possible to get jobs during term breaks and its rather difficult to get summer jobs in my small town.
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Metrobeans)
TSR Spoons is decent. Apart from the people who brazenly walk in and try to sell you things. :indiff:
That happens? I thought they have security there now?

Weatherspoons is very overrated.
Drogue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
Weatherspoons is very overrated.
Wetherspoons is very cheap yet still serves nice beer and whiskey. I've no objection at all to going somewhere else, but since most people here are students, cheap is probably going to win over quality.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cheap always wins over quality with me. Just need to see the tesco's own vodka in front of me to know that lol. I found out today they have tesco's own white rum and gin, this makes me happy. :gah:
Thunder and Jazz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok, suggestion: one person who will absolutely definitely be coming no matter what e.g. Drogue, Metrobeans, myself should be PMed all mobile numbers of all those attending. that person should then relay those to everybody coming. I don't want to be a loner in London again and last time I did the only person I got through to was lotsofsnails, which was very useful what with him being on a coach and all.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
Ok, suggestion: one person who will absolutely definitely be coming no matter what e.g. Drogue, Metrobeans, myself should be PMed all mobile numbers of all those attending. that person should then relay those to everybody coming. I don't want to be a loner in London again and last time I did the only person I got through to was lotsofsnails, which was very useful what with him being on a coach and all.
Why was you a loner? Did you get lost of something?
Thunder and Jazz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Everyone else (read: four people) was late >.<
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
Everyone else (read: four people) was late >.<
Well it sounds like there are considerably more people going this time, several of which are going early. Shouldn't be so bad :p:
CyclopsRock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
if you're still around at like 8 or 9, I will try and pop down after work!
TheCrackInTime
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was just about to buy a one-day travelcard from the TfL website before seeing that they want £2.50 to deliver it. That's not happening, so is there somewhere close to Marble Arch where I can buy one on the day?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (864)
80.3%
Leave (212)
19.7%

Watched Threads