Higher Maths :: Post-Exam Discussion :: 2010 :: Did you make it out alive? Watch

Poll: How did you find it?
Very hard. Thank god for appeals/resits! :( (34)
20.36%
Not too sure, and I don't want to think about it. :indiff: (68)
40.72%
Very easy! :thumbsup: (27)
16.17%
I don't care if I failed [i]or[/i] passed, maths is finally done with! :talkhand: :dancing: (8)
4.79%
Shoot me now. :bawling: (30)
17.96%
Kelz_26
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by roar558)
oh well as long as you do well enough to not require an appeal, it shouldn't have any real effect since the working is only checked for appeals for those extra few marks
Yeah, well at the moment I'm thinking I might need an Appeal!
Kelz_26
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by garlicbreadman)
Or if you are just under a grade boundary, they do a remark, and the working could come in handy.
I showed all of my working and basically wrote out all my thoughts, no wonder I used all of the booklet.

But, seriously, don't worry, They have your working for paper 1 section B, paper 2, and also your prelim(s).

I guess they just like to have your working to check those trickier questions like Q20
Ok, thanks. I got Q20 wrong anyway! So are they less likely to accept an appeal if you don't have the working? I thought they just based it on prelims.
roar558
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kelz_26)
Ok, thanks. I got Q20 wrong anyway! So are they less likely to accept an appeal if you don't have the working? I thought they just based it on prelims.
The multi choice questions are 2 marks, if you get the answer wrong yet you show the right idea for the working they'll give you a mark. This is normally done during an appeal.
They will still accept appeals even if you don't have working but there's a greater chance for the appeal to succeed if you show the working, since you may go up a grade from those extra marks
Kelz_26
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The multi choice questions are 2 marks, if you get the answer wrong yet you show the right idea for the working they'll give you a mark. This is normally done during an appeal.
They will still accept appeals even if you don't have working but there's a greater chance for the appeal to succeed if you show the working, since you may go up a grade from those extra marks
Ok, that's not so bad because I got 2 MC questions wrong in total and one of them I just guessed so that would only give me 1 more mark extra at the most for the working for the other one.
Heanzo1993
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
on question 21a) do you lose marks if you dont simplify the gradient my final answer was 15y+2x=216 thats right apart from the simplification
roar558
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Heanzo1993)
on question 21a) do you lose marks if you dont simplify the gradient my final answer was 15y+2x=216 thats right apart from the simplification
I think you may lose a mark for not simplifying
JoshCurran
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think you may lose a mark for not simplifying
See for 21b) where you had to prove T was on the line. Is finding the gradient of T to one of the points and then finding the gradient of T to the other and then saying they have the same gradient and T is a common point acceptable? No worries if you're not sure
roar558
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JoshCurran)
See for 21b) where you had to prove T was on the line. Is finding the gradient of T to one of the points and then finding the gradient of T to the other and then saying they have the same gradient and T is a common point acceptable? No worries if you're not sure
I'm not 100% sure but as it's a proof of collinearity i think it is acceptable however it is a kinda long way of doing it, wouldn't it have been quicker to plug in the x value of T into the equation of BQ and finding it = the y value?
TheUnbeliever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JoshCurran)
Yes, that's fine. (Was it you that already asked this?)
JoshCurran
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
Yes, that's fine. (Was it you that already asked this?)
Nah, it wasn't me that has asked it but I didn't want to go looking through the whole thread as I'd get distracted :p:
Kelz_26
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Heanzo1993)
I've always been told that it's fine to leave it like this unless the question asks for the equation in a specific form. I'm sure you don't lose a mark.

Is this correct? y-10 = -2/5 (x-11)
That's what I left it as.
roar558
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've always been told that it's fine to leave it like this unless the question asks for the equation in a specific form. I'm sure you don't lose a mark.

Is this correct? y-10 = -2/5 (x-11)
That's what I left it as.
I think he meant he didn't simplify the gradient from -6/15 to -2/5 before substituting in
Yes that looks right to me though i would simplify it
JoshCurran
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think he meant he didn't simplify the gradient from -6/15 to -2/5 before substituting in
Oh no, I didn't realise you lost marks for not simplifying... :/ Ahh, it'll only be one mark maybe.
pamela_0016
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Emmak7)

That was a paper from HELL!! Paper 1 was easy, paper two was living hell :/
I would be lucky to get a B (which I need for uni...)

Anyone know what was the pass mark last year? do you think they'll lower the pass mark?
They wont lower the pass mark from last year, the paper this year was alot easier than last years.
Kelz_26
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh, sorry, I see what you mean. In that case you might lose 1 mark at the most.
Kelz_26
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pamela_0016)
They wont lower the pass mark from last year, the paper this year was alot easier than last years.
Easier? :eek:
roar558
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Easier? :eek:
Well, exam nerves make everything seem harder, after the exams, i retried the paper and breezed through it, found all my mistakes.
i believe last year's paper 1 was harder than this years, and last year's paper 2 was about the same maybe a bit easier making this year's technically easier overall since paper 1 is out of more than paper 2.
Kelz_26
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well, exam nerves make everything seem harder, after the exams, i retried the paper and breezed through it, found all my mistakes.
i believe last year's paper 1 was harder than this years, and last year's paper 2 was about the same maybe a bit easier making this year's technically easier overall since paper 1 is out of more than paper 2.
I agree with paper 1, I have to admit it was quite easy this year. But I thought paper 2 was a lot harder than last year's. Oh well, maybe you're right about the exam nerves making it seem much more difficult. So do you think this means the boundaries will hike back up to their usual 75-78% for an A?
RizzyI
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They won't lower the pass mark but I don't think they will raise it either. It doesn't matter how we you do after the exam, it's how well you do in the exam and judging by the majority of people, the exam was pretty hard. I hope it stays at around 72% anyway so I can have a secure A. I'm hovering around 75-80 percent which I find very nervewracking.
roar558
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I agree with paper 1, I have to admit it was quite easy this year. But I thought paper 2 was a lot harder than last year's. Oh well, maybe you're right about the exam nerves making it seem much more difficult. So do you think this means the boundaries will hike back up to their usual 75-78% for an A?
No, it'll probably stay at about 71 maybe go up to 75 worst case but probably not. My reasoning was that paper 1 is out of 70, paper 2 is out of 60 so the difficulty of paper 1 is more important than the difficulty of paper 2 in terms of marks and i didn't feel paper 2 this year was that much more difficult than last year whereas paper 1 was a bit of a joke this year.
But then again paper 1 is never that hard...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1648)
78.78%
Leave (444)
21.22%

Watched Threads