Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by June177)
    Hi I am an international student got an unconditional offer from Leicester. I am planning to arrive to leicester one week before the new semester start.(Can not arrive early due to personal reason) I have checked the University accommodation, I am planning to stay in uni accommodation for about a few weeks (maximum 3 months before Xmas) and then move to a private flat. Because I will be arrving a bit late, it is better for me to get settled down first and then start to think about moving out. However, I have checked the rules, and emailed the accommodation office they simply quote some rules which is not relevant to my case and did not give me a clear answer. I am wondering if this plan is feasiable and whether I will be bound by the 30 weeks or 39 weeks contract, and will I be charged for certain fees?

Can anyone give me some advice? Or whom should I contact for this matter? It is very much appreciated! Thanks a lot
    I suspect you can't. The University does not have unlimited accommodation so you have to commit to for the full contract, only exception I know of is people on just a semester abroad.

Contact accommodation to check, but can't see them being particularly amenable I'm afraid.

Why don't you want to stay in halls all year?! It's brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    The bus fare will be about 300 pounds for a pass for the entire year. It's a big hit, but you will more than get that back. You'll use it to get to campus, to town during the day and at night so it's not uncommon to have 4-5 trips a day. If you want to meet British students then Oadby's definitely where it's at and the atmosphere up there is brilliant.

A meal, prepared yourself generally costs about 1 or 2 quid for an evening meal. Takeaway will set you back about a fiver and a restaurant meal more again. It's easy enough to cook your own meals as there are kitchens in each flat.

If you plan to go home at Xmas and Easter then catered is cheaper overall as you don't pay for 8 weeks rent you do with self, otherwise it's probably more or less even with self possibly slightly cheaper, but obviously this depends how much you spend per meal. Catered is more sociable in my opinion, because you have to eat together with your flat/block mates and eating together is a sociable activity.

Personally I think the best value accommodation is Beaumont, ensuite catered. I stayed in Beaumont shared catered and that's pretty good too, along with its equivalent in GMS. JoFo is very nice but expensive.

I don't have much experience of city living, but I know Opal is seriously steep and Nixon has recently been refurbished. Freemen's is I think a lot of ERASMUS students.

Oadby is nearly all Freshers, whilst there are finalists, postgrads, year abroad students etc. in City living so it's going to be quieter and probably not as sociable as Oadby, because people have more work to be getting on with than First years.
    Thank you so much! FYI, I'm a postgraduate 'mature' student. Will Beaumont be still suitable for me? I want to have some fun too!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airanez)
    Thank you so much! FYI, I'm a postgraduate 'mature' student. Will Beaumont be still suitable for me? I want to have some fun too!
    I dunno, depends how 'mature' you feel

As a postgrad probably not, it's mainly 18/19 year old undergrads who will likely be going out a lot, as in 2-4 times a week.

If you're postgrad there are some nice houses up in Oadby which are postgrad only and parts of a block called the Coppice which is a mix of undergrads who've done gap years, mature undergrads and I think some PG. Best thing to do is probably to join some sort of Leicester PG facebook group and they'll be able to help or to contact accommodation to see if they've got any advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    I dunno, depends how 'mature' you feel

As a postgrad probably not, it's mainly 18/19 year old undergrads who will likely be going out a lot, as in 2-4 times a week.

If you're postgrad there are some nice houses up in Oadby which are postgrad only and parts of a block called the Coppice which is a mix of undergrads who've done gap years, mature undergrads and I think some PG. Best thing to do is probably to join some sort of Leicester PG facebook group and they'll be able to help or to contact accommodation to see if they've got any advice.
    Thanks once again. Is there a Leicester PG facebook group?

Also, I just realised that all City Living accommodation is based on 42 weeks. So does it mean that even though I'm not staying during the holidays I still have to pay for it? There is no way of paying based on the number of weeks without signing for the 42 weeks contract?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks once again. Is there a Leicester PG facebook group?

Also, I just realised that all City Living accommodation is based on 42 weeks. So does it mean that even though I'm not staying during the holidays I still have to pay for it? There is no way of paying based on the number of weeks without signing for the 42 weeks contract?
    Not sure if there's a general one, probably one for your dept. Just search it and see what comes up. If not post on SU's page and they may be able to point you to one.

Fraid not, if you go self catered you pay whether you're there or not.

ReputationRep:
    Raaawwrrrr!!! The university is just out to squeeze me dry!!!

How about the private accomodation, the Sulets or something like that? Are they more reasonably priced?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I've been allocated a room at Bowder Court. Is it a good place to live? I've heard that GMS was the most sociable hall and that was I looking for but they've given to me an expensive room ( premium+ ensuite) and I don't really know if I can afford it but I don't dare to refuse the offer because i'm afraid of not to find another room so ( It happened to someone )

I've learnt that even if oadby student village is far from the town and The University we can buy a student saver ticket for the year thanks to Arriva. But does this bus only operate during the term time?? If I stay during vacation I would like going into town.

Anyone else is in Block AA fl 1? I don't want to be alone lol

Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have reviews for Freemens Common? It seems to be the cheapest.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Raaawwrrrr!!! The university is just out to squeeze me dry!!!

How about the private accomodation, the Sulets or something like that? Are they more reasonably priced?
    Depends, most private ones are 12 month contracts at somewhere between 55-70 quid a week but they don't include bills, which are somewhere between 5-15 pounds a week depending how warm you want it, if you use a dishwasher etc.

You could try private halls, don't know much about them but others might.

You could email and see if any catered is largely for postgrads, I think there might be some up past JoFo but couldn't be certain.

ReputationRep:
    J foster
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kouji15)
    Hi!

I've been allocated a room at Bowder Court. Is it a good place to live? I've heard that GMS was the most sociable hall and that was I looking for but they've given to me an expensive room ( premium+ ensuite) and I don't really know if I can afford it but I don't dare to refuse the offer because i'm afraid of not to find another room so ( It happened to someone )

I've learnt that even if oadby student village is far from the town and The University we can buy a student saver ticket for the year thanks to Arriva. But does this bus only operate during the term time?? If I stay during vacation I would like going into town.

Thanks !
    Most people I know in Bowder liked it, probably the most sociable slef catered accommodation along with maybe the Coppice.

The one from right outside halls, the 80/80A, only runs during term times, but a bus called the 31 runs down London Rd every 10 mins all the time and is only about 5 mins walk halls. You're not quite as pampered as during term but it's not too bad

ReputationRep:
    Try this

http://www.youtube.com/results?hl=en...N&tab=w1&gl=GB

ReputationRep:
    Most people I know in Bowder liked it, probably the most sociable slef catered accommodation along with maybe the Coppice.
    Ok thanks! that was I thought! I was really happy to know that I was in GMS hall ( even if it is really far from the town) but when I read the price I turned pale lol

The one from right outside halls, the 80/80A, only runs during term times, but a bus called the 31 runs down London Rd every 10 mins all the time and is only about 5 mins walk halls. You're not quite as pampered as during term but it's not too bad
    And if you buy a student saver ticket it includes both lines? Haha it doesn't matter if I'm less pampered, I just want a bus XD

That's why I wanted to live in Oadby village! We don't have such a great student community and life in France!

ReputationRep:
    And if you buy a student saver ticket it includes both lines? Haha it doesn't matter if I'm less pampered, I just want a bus XD
    If you get the yearly bus pass it includes all arriva buses in the leicester city area, so definitely the 80/80A, 31/31A (the one that runs down London Road) and some others as well such as the 47/48 which runs from the city centre to the University.

ReputationRep:
    If you get the yearly bus pass it includes all arriva buses in the leicester city area, so definitely the 80/80A, 31/31A (the one that runs down London Road) and some others as well such as the 47/48 which runs from the city centre to the University.
    Ok! thanks for the reply! :-) I'm eager to live overthere!

ReputationRep:
    When are people moving into Nixon Court? What's the earliest we can move in?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any experience of Beaumont Catered (En-Suite)?

ReputationRep:
    Your so lucky that's one of the exact rooms I want (my first and second choice) the rooms are lovely!!!!

Hi!

Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Bowder Court is good - last year just over half of the blocks had been refurbished and were without doubt the best halls accommodation I've ever seen (especially the kitchens). The rumour is that the rest of the blocks are being refurbed over the summer. Everyone says that JoFo rooms are the best but in truth the refurbished Bowder Court buildings knock spots off JoFo (IMO) - and because of the layout of the place it still feels like student halls rather than like the Travelodge that is JoFo. Even the non-refurbs are good (IMO) and although are a bit tired, are still better than a lot of the other buildings I've seen.

In terms of being sociable then the character of each building is surely going to change each year depending on who lives there - that said Bowder Court is, I would have thought, a safe choice year on year because of the layout of the place and the huge number of people that live there. It's also quite central to the other major buildings and probably the best placed for catching buses in the morning - you've also got a pick of two bus stops without any detour to get to either which I would imagine is a godsend for 9am lectures.

As for the price of rooms - if you're definitely after self-catered I'd take the Bowder Court offer. Self catered rooms are rare at Leicester and if you've been offered one and really want one, take it. People on TSR are very picky about room cost but the reality seems to be that, by and large, what accommodation you're put in is a lottery (unless you volunteer for Mary Gee) and people manage to work round the cost of their room.

It's probably exceptionally foolish of me to say this (and I'm not known for being good at budgeting) but accommodation costs are paid in lump sums and tend to just be something you take on the chin and then adjust your budget to match later (within reason). I don't think that having a more expensive room is going to have as big an impact as you think it will (especially if you take a room you don't want which then has other implications), but YMMV
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Okay guys, this is probably a really stupid question, but in this booklet i got from the open day, the catered halls are only about £500 more expensive than self-catered. So does this price include the breakfast and dinner you get for the whole year, or do you still have to pay separately for these meals?

thanks guys!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.