Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got the Keyboard 3G one. The 3G I think is a necessity, I think for a couple of quid it's worth it, not only can you look stuff up and download things when you're out and about but it means you have an internet connection when you're abroad... Means you can send people fb messages or whatever instead of wasting money texting them

I use the keyboard a lot, dunno how you'd keep stuff organised or search for stuff without it :s

Also the non-keyboard one is pretty ugly.

ReputationRep:
    depends what you want to do with it - if you want to make notes on the book that you're reading, annotations for english for example, then the keyboard is invaluable. I wouldn't be without my keyboard. If you're not likely to want to annotate books, then it's prob a waste of the extra money.

As for the 3G, for me, it seems a bit over the top. The one without 3G still has wifi, so can still go on internet / download books directly to kindle without useing the laptop and wires. You just need to do it in a wifi area, like at home, at college, in weatherspoons, mcdonalds....

Bear in mind that although it does have an internet browers, it isn't ideal. If you have internet on your phone, then you really don't need the 3G. If you want to download books immediately whilst you're on the bus, and can't simply wait until you get home, then 3G it should be

And get a cover / case for it.... doesn't need to be one of the amazon expansive ones, but a case is essential.

hope this helps xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carderne)
    Most books that are out of copyright can be found for free on Gutenberg. (There are others but their names escape me right now.)
    I'm familiar with project gutenberg and the other similar sites, thanks . I know where to get hold of out of copyright books in that sense, but the poster mentioned special offers etc - I didn't know what sites did those others than amazon. Basically I'm looking for more recent popular fiction with good prices

ReputationRep:
    does it actually save you money or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucas13)
    does it actually save you money or not
    It depends what you want to read. The fact that a huge selection of classics are available means that you're going to be able to get them for free rather than paying for the book where they're the same price as they were during their copyright period.

I believe new releases are slightly cheaper than hardback and then become slightly more expensive than paperback once they're available in those editions (but that can vary).

ReputationRep:
    The Kindle's arrived! So far it looks great. Typing's a pain but I did expect it, can't wait for a journey long enough to get through all me new books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azraaa)
    i dont know which one to choose from there are so many?
    Wait for the Kindle Fire - will be a little more expensive but offers functionality similar to that of the iPad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseverance)
    Wait for the Kindle Fire - will be a little more expensive but offers functionality similar to that of the iPad.
    Which means it will be rubbish if you want an e-reader as opposed to a tablet.
    Backlit screen still suck in comparison to e-ink for reading.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou everyoneee iv decided to get the Kindle 3G from amazon i was in two minds i was going to get the kindle fire but nope, finally cant wait for it to arrive soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess Holly)
    The Kindle's arrived! So far it looks great. Typing's a pain but I did expect it, can't wait for a journey long enough to get through all me new books
    I thought that, but then once you've got through that initial 'ooh I have a new toy and have to search every book I can think of' you don't actually use the keypad that much :P

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no- it's brilliant to have something so light and portable. I travel a lot for work and having my kindle when I'm stuck somewhere random for an hour or two is brilliant, and for holidays.

No because, although having so many free books is brilliant as I read pretty fast and used to spend a fortune, a lot of them are crap so I feel like I read a lot more rubbish books.

I don't missing paper books is a massive problem though- you can just re-read your old ones and buy any that you particularly want a hard copy of anyway

ReputationRep:
    I love my kindle, I take it everywhere. I'm a big fantasy fan so I never really read outside that genre, but buying a kindle opened the door to a huge variety of books which I normally wouldn't have read. I'm glad that I did buy the kindle because some of the books I've downloaded onto it have become my favourites, yet if I'd continued reading normal books I probably would never have come across them.
    Having said that, I still do enjoy reading normal books. There's nothing like the feel of the pages between your fingers, and I don't think the kindle will ever replace a proper book for me. I bought a kindle mainly for practical purposes, so that I didn't have to lug around a massive book in my bag everywhere I went, but the kindle has proven to be even more useful than I originally thought it would be.
    A lot of my friends are avid readers as well, and we've often had the discussion about e-books and proper books. I don't see them as being mutually exclusive; it's possible to enjoy reading both, but if you travel a lot and read often I'd definitely recommend one.

ReputationRep:
    For me it has, as there were some books unavailable in the UK except via kindle

ReputationRep:
    >2012 not torrenting your ebooks

ReputationRep:
    anyone find themselves starting a lot more books than they finish with a kindle? this never used to happen to me. i think its the endless number of books avaliable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ophqui)
    anyone find themselves starting a lot more books than they finish with a kindle? this never used to happen to me. i think its the endless number of books avaliable
    I've had my Kindle a week now and so far I've read one and a half books. But I have loads downloaded onto it (most of them for free) and glaced at most them. I think part of the reason for this is that I see it, its free, I have a vague interest in it so I get it. That doesn't mean I really want it or to read it straight away. I'm trying to only pay for books on it that I definetly want to read. With the free ones, I can always delete them if I don't want them and my purse won't be any worse off than before.

I'm also torn between buying the hard copy and the digital one. If a book is more expensive, I'm tending to buy the hard copy. They seem more real to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaa.xo)
    Well im not planning on buying the e books and will be torrenting them because yea they are more expensive, also my local library rents out ebooks which is good
    Hi, I was wondering which one you decided to get in the end?

Also, from what I've read, you can only borrow books from the library on a kobo, and not a kindle in the UK?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    hey guys! (not sure if this thread should be here, but i couldnt think of other more suitable places)

i recently received a kindle (the new one without the keyboard) and am looking for a decent case cause i dont want it to get scratched up, but ive looked at the ones on the amazon website and they all seem pretty pricey for what they are.

im looking for a neoprene/silicon case not a hard one cause i just prefer the feel and look of them.

can anybody recommend a decent case/warn me of ones to stay away from?

ReputationRep:
    Cases can be quite expensive and I haven't really come across a cheap one really. For mine I did find a faux leather cover for £5.99 on Amazon in purple and they have a range of colours by 7dayshop it comes with a screen protector too hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I have this one..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet%C2%A...7233007&sr=8-2

It's really good. The kindle is very secure in it, and the other side of the case folds back behind it so it doesn't get in the way. It's also very lightweight. They do it in purple too.

Hope that's of some use.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.