Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    Hi all, I've got an offer from St. Edmund Hall for Law. Any other lawyers about, or people going to St. Edmund Hall?
    Look at the spoiler in the first post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindaloo!)
    Can anyone advise me - I was rejected by Oxford post interview and would like to apply again next year. My question is should I apply to the same college which I really liked or a different one? I had two interviews one could not have gone better and the other could not have gone worse - altough I have not got any feedback as yet I feel I know what let me down. I would really like to apply to the same college again but is this stupid would love some advice from anyone who has applied this year for the second time. Thanks
    Hello.
    I applied for Cambridge then reapplied for Oxford, so not entirely the same, but I still feel qualified to answer as I considered this question before.

Basically, do not go for the same college again. Most colleges explicitly advise this. It would be fairly pointless as the tutors will believe they have already judged your essential academic ability. I know one guy who ignored all the advice of his teachers and reapplied to the same college; he simply got rejected again.

Also, you need a new dream. Reapplying to the same college would probably encourage obsession. I fell in love with Jesus college Cambridge last year; I still think it's fantastic, but I forced myself to move on and have an open mind about other places (although reapplying to Oxbridge is admittedly a little obsessive)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumi Nous)
    (although reapplying to Oxbridge is admittedly a little obsessive)
    Yeah but look at the outcome!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone advise me - I was rejected by Oxford post interview and would like to apply again next year. My question is should I apply to the same college which I really liked or a different one? I had two interviews one could not have gone better and the other could not have gone worse - altough I have not got any feedback as yet I feel I know what let me down. I would really like to apply to the same college again but is this stupid would love some advice from anyone who has applied this year for the second time. Thanks
    I applied to Balliol last year and was rejected then this year I did an open application and got invited to interview at Keble. I got 'pooled' from Keble to Merton for another interview but also got an interview at St Hilda's which was an extra one because one of the tutors who interviewed me last year saw my name somewhere, remembered me and arranged for one of the other colleges she tutors at (st Hilda's) to give me an interview. I then got an offer from St Hilda's.

So, if you really feel your interviews went well (on aggregate) and that you may have just missed an offer then applying to the same college might be a good idea.
    Mind you, if you didn't get sent to another college, it could suggest that you weren't borderline so I'd say apply to another college or just do an open application and see what happens.

(I got sent to another college the first time I applied btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gasmask)
    Woo! Well done What college? What course?!
    THAAANKS! christ church for english! well exciiiited

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for all your help I guess I have alot of thinking to do over the next few months think I will make an open application next time. Well done to all who got offers its a great achievement - good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for all your help I guess I have alot of thinking to do over the next few months think I will make an open application next time. Well done to all who got offers its a great achievement - good luck
    I was fortunate enough to get an offer, and had resolved to try again next year if I were not successful. With apologies for being the (lone?) dissenting voice, I would not have made an open application. While it is true that this means the candidate is allocated to an under-subscribed college for the subject, it does not follow that this increases the chances of a place, because you will be thrown up against excellent candidates who have been pooled pre- or post-interview to the same college. The overall quality of interviewees is such that the possibility of them being slightly weaker because their college of choice allowed them to be pooled (and there are many reasons for a pooling decision) is hardly worth weighing in the balance. In fact, it is quite common to see successful pooled candidates inadvertently 'trade up' in terms of perceived college prestige.

College choice is one of the few areas where you have some degree of control over the interview process. You can research culture and ethos; for example, I applied to one that had a long history and proven record of accepting a high proportion of state school students. This is particularly important if you have an unusual qualification or educational path; has the college accepted people like you, or people that you may know? There are ways to find this out - TSR for instance!

You can also choose a college such that you will be fairly sure of who your interviewers will be (in at least one of your interviews). They can then be Googled to death to wring out as much useful information as possible about their academic interests and opinions, which can prove useful (if carried out subtly and sparingly) at interview.

Finally, you can make sure that you choose a college in which you know that you will feel comfortable; as a prospective candidate, you have wide access to visit, attend open days, and perhaps even stay overnight (some of the colleges do b&b, out of term) before making your preferred college decison. This may make you more relaxed at interview, and your genuine enthusiasm for the college may shine through, whereas if a college is allocated to you through an open app, it may be one that does not quite suit your personality: too big, too small, too new, too old, too quiet, too scary etc. However slight, this sense of unease may show through at interview.

These are tiny factors I know, but I worked on the basis that most of us will either get into Oxford, or be rejected, by a hair's breadth; relatively few would dazzle at interview (certainly not myself!) and relatively few would be judged academically below par. Of course, all this planning could still result in being reallocated pre-interview! But you are at least maximising your limited opportunities to control your fate.

Sorry to throw the cat amongst the pigeons at this late stage! Very best of luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    Yeah but look at the outcome!
    True! But it could so easily have gone wrong - and then I'd be cursing my obsessiveness and arrogance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shoshin)
    In fact, it is quite common to see successful pooled candidates inadvertently 'trade up' in terms of perceived college prestige.
    What d'you mean?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It turns out Exeter posted my MAT score to my school (I never got round to emailing them for it in the end)

(Original post by rev_pain)
    What d'you mean?
    I think they mean that people are sometimes pooled to a college with a better reputation than the college they originally applied to

ReputationRep:
    As lots of people said, I wouldn't apply to the same college. I even changed my course I applied for (from PPE to E+M).

You can also choose a college such that you will be fairly sure of who your interviewers will be (in at least one of your interviews). They can then be Googled to death to wring out as much useful information as possible about their academic interests and opinions, which can prove useful (if carried out subtly and sparingly) at interview.
    Another way of looking at this point is to apply to a college which the tutors are interested in areas you are interested in/areas you put in your personal statement. This way, you sort of know what they will ask in your interview as they love talking about their specific area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rev_pain)
    What d'you mean?
    Difficult to give examples without upsetting some offer holder or other. I mean that if the concept of 'better' colleges were valid, and if pooling were therefore a process by which the 'best' candidates were retained by these 'better' colleges, then why does pooling often proceed in what may be considered by the same flawed logic the 'opposite' direction? It's meant to be a rhetorical question: I'm not agreeing with the proposition.

Oh go on then: an example, at the risk of being negged to damnation. My college was Mansfield, but the noticeboard during interview showed students being pooled from there to Christ Church. A second example: a friend of mine chose Pembroke, which at the time (a few years back: lemme 'lone Pembroke offer holders, it may have all changed since) didn't have two ha'pennies to rub together, and was pooled from there to New, which gave him an offer. So he thought that he had 'traded up', like a free cabin upgrade on a flight.

I'm worried that I sound as if I'm defending these concepts, of 'better' colleges and top-to-bottom pooling. I'm trying to argue the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    I was fortunate enough to get an offer, and had resolved to try again next year if I were not successful. With apologies for being the (lone?) dissenting voice, I would not have made an open application. While it is true that this means the candidate is allocated to an under-subscribed college for the subject, it does not follow that this increases the chances of a place, because you will be thrown up against excellent candidates who have been pooled pre- or post-interview to the same college. The overall quality of interviewees is such that the possibility of them being slightly weaker because their college of choice allowed them to be pooled (and there are many reasons for a pooling decision) is hardly worth weighing in the balance. In fact, it is quite common to see successful pooled candidates inadvertently 'trade up' in terms of perceived college prestige.

College choice is one of the few areas where you have some degree of control over the interview process. You can research culture and ethos; for example, I applied to one that had a long history and proven record of accepting a high proportion of state school students. This is particularly important if you have an unusual qualification or educational path; has the college accepted people like you, or people that you may know? There are ways to find this out - TSR for instance!

Finally, you can make sure that you choose a college in which you know that you will feel comfortable; as a prospective candidate, you have wide access to visit, attend open days, and perhaps even stay overnight (some of the colleges do b&b, out of term) before making your preferred college decison. This may make you more relaxed at interview, and your genuine enthusiasm for the college may shine through, whereas if a college is allocated to you through an open app, it may be one that does not quite suit your personality: too big, too small, too new, too old, too quiet, too scary etc. However slight, this sense of unease may show through at interview.

These are tiny factors I know, but I worked on the basis that most of us will either get into Oxford, or be rejected, by a hair's breadth; relatively few would dazzle at interview (certainly not myself!) and relatively few would be judged academically below par. Of course, all this planning could still result in being reallocated pre-interview! But you are at least maximising your limited opportunities to control your fate.

Sorry to throw the cat amongst the pigeons at this late stage! Very best of luck anyway
    You seem to be very much the voice of wisdom and I think you make very valid points at least I have time on my hands to decide what to do. Have to say I was not inclined to make an open application this year so applied to the college I felt I would most enjoy and were the tutors specalised in the areas I was most intetested in..... I really appreciate all the feetback thats whats great about TSR Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Woo. Track finally updated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaddyD15)
    Another way of looking at this point is to apply to a college which the tutors are interested in areas you are interested in/areas you put in your personal statement. This way, you sort of know what they will ask in your interview as they love talking about their specific area.
    True, though this could backfire because you will be 'playing them on their home turf'
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Difficult to give examples without upsetting some offer holder or other. I mean that if the concept of 'better' colleges were valid, and if pooling were therefore a process by which the 'best' candidates were retained by these 'better' colleges, then why does pooling often proceed in what may be considered by the same flawed logic the 'opposite' direction? It's meant to be a rhetorical question: I'm not agreeing with the proposition.

Oh go on then: an example, at the risk of being negged to damnation. My college was Mansfield, but the noticeboard during interview showed students being pooled from there to Christ Church. A second example: a friend of mine chose Pembroke, which at the time (a few years back: lemme 'lone Pembroke offer holders, it may have all changed since) didn't have two ha'pennies to rub together, and was pooled from there to New, which gave him an offer. So he thought that he had 'traded up', like a free cabin upgrade on a flight.

I'm worried that I sound as if I'm defending these concepts, of 'better' colleges and top-to-bottom pooling. I'm trying to argue the opposite.
    The best example (which avoids offending anybody, if that's your concern!) is that people are pooled both ways between the same colleges. That is, one person might be pooled from college X to college Y, and another from college Y to college X. If we assume the suggestion that some colleges are 'better' than others, one of the people must have "traded up".

But I've always thought that at such a high and fairly consistent standard, the biggest factor differentiating between colleges and how well you do at them or how much you enjoy them is how well you get on with particular tutors. So at "superior" college X, if you don't get on with the tutor, you would have been better off at slightly "inferior" college Y, where you would have liked the tutor more.

ReputationRep:
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    I am a international applicant applying G100 mathematics and I ve receiced a conditonal offer (open offer) from st hugh's .In the condition ,there is not a requirement for IELTS, do I have to take IELTS and get 7?Or the tutors thought my English is Ok in the interview so they did not give me such a condition?

ReputationRep:
    My offer came through on track, appropriately the sweetest feeling was playing

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDB85BBV1uA)

list please?
    Computer Science at St Catz

ReputationRep:
    Offer just came through on track! has reduced some of my worrying, now just to actually get my grades

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.