Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Americanism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Nah, the Republicans will find a better excuse, like that he's a paedophile or something. :p:
    Unless you want me to get your American passport revoked, you'd better stop spelling pedophile with an 'a,' killer. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Unless you want me to get your American passport revoked, you'd better stop spelling pedophile with an 'a,' killer. :p:
    You're the French and Canuck wannabe. :hmmm:

Anyway, everyone knows that McCain will disappear in Roswell right after he wins the primaries in the first 49 states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty33)
    For the record, these people aren't as highly regarded as the media, or they themselves, portrays.

With all due respect to her - neither is ally.

ReputationRep:
    You're the French and Canuck wannabe. :hmmm:

Anyway, everyone knows that McCain will disappear in Roswell right after he wins the primaries in the first 49 states.
    Am not!

The Dems will be the ones abducting him, though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Really? I applied to Oxford, and it'd cost me 10,000 if I got in (it would be Ph.D. in IR or something similar). They justify it by using the money to buy newer and shinier buildings while continuing to give their professors crappy salaries.
    Prioritise prioritise

As I said before, I don't see him winning the primaries.
    Depends who runs for the Dems and how they look in the general polls.

Unforunately I think you are right ... the primaries polarise US politics.

ReputationRep:
    That's not exactly what I'm saying. They won't allow themselves to be curious because it's impolite to be nosy. One crushes any budding curiosity out of a sense of propriety.
    I would disagree... but I suppose it is a matter of opinion.

I don't really think that considering other interests in the world is a necessarily valuable quality. By all means know about the interests of others, but that should only be used to serve one's own interests. I'm sure the people of Nepal aren't contemplating how they can help Americans.
    Given that the world is now much smaller and forign affairs are so relevant to the lives of americans, I wouls disagree that it is not valuable.

And congratulations. Did she propose to you, then? How thoroughly modern of you both.
    Heh ... na - mutual agreement

ReputationRep:
    You mean the UK is going to nick him? Good stuff... Ill finally get to vote for him without having to pay US tax no matter where I live... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You mean the Brits will nick him? Great - I can finally vote for him without paying tax no matter where I live :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I dont see that that makes him particularly knowledgable in general. Considering that he was most likely a legacy at both Yale and Harvard.

Even the most staunch Bu****e (wow that looks close to another word :p: ) cant sincerely believe that Bush would be able to get into either institution on merit alone...
    I don't believe he got in there on merit alone, but I believe he stayed there on merit. We have plenty of politicians (Al Gore for example) who were from privileged backgrounds and they still flunked out of highly regarded schools.

ReputationRep:
    And then you claim Americans are dumb. You're just repeating a damn slogan. You must feel so brilliant. :rolleyes:
    You don't have to be brilliant to consider American's stupid. And yes, it is a slogan. That doesnt alter the fact that its true. Also I can't believe you are a pHD applicant. I am a stupid gap-year student, and even I'm not impressed by your arguments. I thought you were first year undergrad at best!

(To anyone who finds that comment unnecessary and childish :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacious)
    Perhaps not wildly intellectual, but representing the US, slightly intellectual would be beneficial,

"Do you have blacks, too?" — George W. to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    The rest of your quotes may be true, but this one is too far fetched to be a real quote.
    http://www.snopes.com/quotes/brazil.htm

Trust me, if that was a real quote, we'd still be hearing about it today from the NY Times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I dont generally like Brits... .
    Why's that?

ReputationRep:
    And then you claim Americans are dumb. You're just repeating a damn slogan. You must feel so brilliant. :rolleyes:
    As are you, you must feel like such an individual...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    You mean the UK is going to nick him? Good stuff... Ill finally get to vote for him without having to pay US tax no matter where I live... :rolleyes:
    Sore loser. That's just an incentive for you to move to the good old US of A. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    You don't have to be brilliant to consider American's stupid. And yes, it is a slogan. That doesnt alter the fact that its true. Also I can't believe you are a pHD applicant. I am a stupid gap-year student, and even I'm not impressed by your arguments. I thought you were first year undergrad at best!

(To anyone who finds that comment unnecessary and childish :p: )
    It's more than a slogan, it's a cliche.

What arguments? Most of your posts are rants. You throw out insults like they are facts. They aren't.

The only thing that's revealing in this thread, is the foolishness of blind prejudice.

Some people will always want a justification to dislike someone, to vent anger at, and blame in general.

Americans are a perfect fit, especially in the politically correct world we live in.

Don't want to seem like a prejucied bigot in everday life, but want all the benefits of it? Choose Americans. After all, they aren't a race or etnicity, and they can't be pined down to one religion (although they contain a huge mixture of all these factors witin the country)

Anti Americanism: The consequence free, enjoyable prejudice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    No my name isnt ally. Its an ironic micky-take of the stupid american show allymcbeal because I will be studying law next year and I am quite fat.
    You watch American TV shows and you're fat? How American of you.

ReputationRep:
    you appreciate the irony? How very non-american of you.

ReputationRep:
    Is this just another example of British self-loathing?

ReputationRep:
    self-loathing is the joint number 1 thing I like about the british...along with sense of humour. But no, that was just a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    It's more than a slogan, it's a cliche.
    Truth becomes clichéd when we don't accept it, yeah that seems plausable.....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.