Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Moffat started off good with the best Doctor Who story The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang being wrote by him but has started to ruin the show I I thought that Clara was going to be a good companion but She seems really boring at the moment because Moffat gave us the wrong Clara-I liked the one in Asylum and Snowmen but not this one, the dumber one who doesn't seem as if She can catch up with the Doctor's level of thought.
    16.Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways
    17.The Movie
    Totally agree with you here! I preferred her in the asylum of the daleks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Liked this latest episode quite a lot actually - though the ending could have been better. And I wonder why they didn't just set it on a British nuclear sub. I know there's an in-show reason for everyone to sound like they're speaking English with a British accent, but why use that reasoning when the plot could be exactly the same with British characters?
    I found it quite interesting that the BBC decided to set it on the Soviet side of the Cold War, considering the huge fan base Doctor Who has in America. The story could have easily been set on either side.

I assume the Professor not only must have spoken English, to understand the lyrics to Ultavox and Duran Duran, but this must have sounded like mumbo jumbo to the other crew members on the sub, and yet they don't how any signs that they didn't have a clue what he was singing.

Them having British accents though, I didn't think was an issue. When we saw Madame Pompadour, did she have the accent of a French person speaking English? I'm not sure, I can't remember - but I don't think she did. (Feel free to prove me wrong though!)

ReputationRep:
    The accent isn't an issue, it's tardis translation matrix, if they have a posh French accent it will be translated into a posh English accent (Madame de pompadour)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    I found it quite interesting that the BBC decided to set it on the Soviet side of the Cold War, considering the huge fan base Doctor Who has in America. The story could have easily been set on either side.

I assume the Professor not only must have spoken English, to understand the lyrics to Ultavox and Duran Duran, but this must have sounded like mumbo jumbo to the other crew members on the sub, and yet they don't how any signs that they didn't have a clue what he was singing.

Them having British accents though, I didn't think was an issue. When we saw Madame Pompadour, did she have the accent of a French person speaking English? I'm not sure, I can't remember - but I don't think she did. (Feel free to prove me wrong though!)
    I agree, it would have been easy to do a British/American sub, but I'm glad they showed the other side of things. DW often concentrates on just the UK and occasionally USA so it's refreshing to see them branching out a little.

There was another problem with the languages used - was the Ice Monster speaking Russian? They've always spoken English (or a language that the Tardis rendered as English), so it makes sense that the Doctor and Clara could have understood Skaldak, but not the submarine crew since they had never been in the Tardis and the Tardis wasn't even there, it has left by the time that Skaldak showed up.

Madame de Pompadour spoke with a British accent, as did all the other French aristocrats in that story, albeit with occasional French words thrown in ('monsieur' etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    I agree, it would have been easy to do a British/American sub, but I'm glad they showed the other side of things. DW often concentrates on just the UK and occasionally USA so it's refreshing to see them branching out a little.

There was another problem with the languages used - was the Ice Monster speaking Russian? They've always spoken English (or a language that the Tardis rendered as English), so it makes sense that the Doctor and Clara could have understood Skaldak, but not the submarine crew since they had never been in the Tardis and the Tardis wasn't even there, it has left by the time that Skaldak showed up.

Madame de Pompadour spoke with a British accent, as did all the other French aristocrats in that story, albeit with occasional French words thrown in ('monsieur' etc).
    If you're around TARDIS people, it translates for them as well. Think this was explained in David Tennant's first appearance with those Mars aliens and that.

ReputationRep:
    Moffat started off good with the best Doctor Who story The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang being wrote by him but has started to ruin the show I I thought that Clara was going to be a good companion but She seems really boring at the moment because Moffat gave us the wrong Clara-I liked the one in Asylum and Snowmen but not this one, the dumber one who doesn't seem as if She can catch up with the Doctor's level of thought.While we're at it I'm going to name my best 22 stories of Doctor Who Note:This is a convenient list with 2 stories for each doctor because considering over 200 stories would be an extremely tough thing to do:
    1.The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
    2.The End of Time
    3.Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
    4.The Trial of a Timelord
    5.The Invasion of Time
    6.Earthshock
    7.The Cyber Seas of Rhye/The Cyberlords of Time
    8.The Curse of Fenwick
    9.Remembrance of the Daleks
    10.The Invasion
    11.Aliens of London/World War Three
    12.The Chase
    13. Resurrection of the Daleks
    14.The Green Death
    15.Doctor Who and the Silurians
    17.The Movie
    18.Logopolis
    19.Vincent and the Doctor
    20.Revelation of the Daleks
    21.The Mind Robber
    22.The Celestial Toymaker
    No Genesis of the Daleks?
    No Spearhead from Space?
    No Caves of Androzani?

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite understand why the tardis was translating for Clara in this episode, but not in the previous one (with the flying car owner 'barking' at her)??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemissgiggles)
    I don't quite understand why the tardis was translating for Clara in this episode, but not in the previous one (with the flying car owner 'barking' at her)??
    If it were to translate for the barking lady, does that mean it would also have to translate for Dogs on earth?

I don't recall DW ever having talking Dogs (K9 excluded of course), so would make sense that the barking lady wasn't translated either.

ReputationRep:
    Moffat started off good with the best Doctor Who story The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang being wrote by him but has started to ruin the show I I thought that Clara was going to be a good companion but She seems really boring at the moment because Moffat gave us the wrong Clara-I liked the one in Asylum and Snowmen but not this one, the dumber one who doesn't seem as if She can catch up with the Doctor's level of thought.While we're at it I'm going to name my best 22 stories of Doctor Who Note:This is a convenient list with 2 stories for each doctor because considering over 200 stories would be an extremely tough thing to do:
    1.The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
    2.The End of Time
    3.Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
    4.The Trial of a Timelord
    5.The Invasion of Time
    6.Earthshock
    7.The Cyber Seas of Rhye/The Cyberlords of Time
    8.The Curse of Fenwick
    9.Remembrance of the Daleks
    10.The Invasion
    11.Aliens of London/World War Three
    12.The Chase
    13. Resurrection of the Daleks
    14.The Green Death
    15.Doctor Who and the Silurians
    17.The Movie
    18.Logopolis
    19.Vincent and the Doctor
    20.Revelation of the Daleks
    21.The Mind Robber
    22.The Celestial Toymaker
    Really? Also, no 'The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings0)
    Really? Also, no 'The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances'?
    Yes, they are guite possibly they best of the 'new' series. Loved it when the blitz doctor became a gas mask zombie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    If you're around TARDIS people, it translates for them as well. Think this was explained in David Tennant's first appearance with those Mars aliens and that.
    Yes but the Tardis wasn't there, it was at the South Pole.

ReputationRep:
    *Sycorax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sphodromantis)
    Yes, they are guite possibly they best of the 'new' series. Loved it when the blitz doctor became a gas mask zombie!
    I really hated that adventure with silly Gas Mask Zombies and a very bad conclusion about the nanogenes. If people think the show is childish now, watch that story where people keep saying "Are you my mummy?"-Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead is worse though with the artificial world and the Vashta Nerada agreeing to leave them alone.Steven Moffat wasn't too good before he was head writer an exception is the brilliant The Girl in the Fireplace. Moffat was great in Series 5 but has been lacking ever since but has still probably been better than before he started as Head Writer but Series 7 is an exception because it looks as if the series will be the worst since 1987.

I hate Caves of Androzani because there is this Jek person can't remember name who has a horrible face and a load of politics and rubbish really, the 3rd episode cliffhanger is pretty good and shows the lengths The 5th Doctor is prepared to go to but apart form that it is very bad.Genesis of the Daleks isn't really a traditional Dalek story and a lot of the time the Daleks just appear in reduced form up until the end its a good story but nowhere near the best for the Daleks like Remembrance,Revelation and Resurrection.Spearhead in Space is just an average DOctor Who story with the Autons really I think.

ReputationRep:
    I understand but come on, it helped to introduce a important character, Captain Jack Harkness, who later becomes the Face of Boe. And it was clever as nano genes help to repair the doctor after regen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CFSyHBVxDQ skip to 3:30.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No Doctor's Daughter?

Series 4 was probably the best..

The Vesuvius episode, the 3 parter at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but the Tardis wasn't there, it was at the South Pole.
    Yeah, but the TARDIS people (the Doctor and Clara) were there.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but the TARDIS people (the Doctor and Clara) were there.
    Sorry, misread your post and didn't see the word 'people'. Can you find a clip of that or a quote? I'm just curious since I have no recollection of that explanation, though I'm sure it will have come up, if not between Earth languages then between different alien languages...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, misread your post and didn't see the word 'people'. Can you find a clip of that or a quote? I'm just curious since I have no recollection of that explanation, though I'm sure it will have come up, if not between Earth languages then between different alien languages...
    All in here: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Translation_circuit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    No Doctor's Daughter?

Series 4 was probably the best..

The Vesuvius episode, the 3 parter at the end.
    The Doctor's Daughter wasn't too good-I liked Jenny though but the aliens the Hath were nice, which isn't very good.I wonder whether Jenny can regenerate?I know the source saved her but she could have just taken a while to regenerate like the 7th Doctor did, who was presumed dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sphodromantis)
    I understand but come on, it helped to introduce a important character, Captain Jack Harkness, who later becomes the Face of Boe. And it was clever as nano genes help to repair the doctor after regen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CFSyHBVxDQ skip to 3:30.
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand how Jack can become the Face of Boe? I mean considering the Face of Boe died permanently and Jack is a fixed point in time and space, it really doesn't make sense.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.