Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IHTWFR)
    There is shortage of housing, the medical use will be higher so will cause taxpayers to pay more and people will live to old so therefore more pensions will be given out which is a bad thing for the government.

Explain how leaves are adapted for diffusion?
    They are thin so less distance for molecules to move from cell to cell, increasing rate of diffusion. Concentration of Co2 is higher in inside leaf than outside so Co2 diffuses out. Stomata open up to allow oxygen to diffuse out of leaf and for Co2 to diffuse in

hate B4 plants are dull haha

Describe Ultrafiltration and it's purpose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    Whoops forgot to add a question to my post

Here's one: what do amniocentesis and chromosomal analysis do during foetal scanning and give an ethical issue that arises due to this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They tell the parents if the baby has a chromosone abnormality such as down's syndrome and the ethical implication of this it that the parents are faced with the difficult decision of whether to terminate the pregnancy or not

Describe the problems with two different fertility treatments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaG)
    They tell the parents if the baby has a chromosone abnormality such as down's syndrome and the ethical implication of this it that the parents are faced with the difficult decision of whether to terminate the pregnancy or not

IVF- risk of lower birth weights; expensive; chance of multiple virus

Surrogacy- ethical implications where the surrogate mother may not want to give up baby; religious reasons

Describe how insulin is made

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They are thin so less distance for molecules to move from cell to cell, increasing rate of diffusion. Concentration of Co2 is higher in inside leaf than outside so Co2 diffuses out. Stomata open up to allow oxygen to diffuse out of leaf and for Co2 to diffuse in

hate B4 plants are dull haha

Describe Ultrafiltration and it's purpose
    Ultra filtration is when blood from the renal artery diffuses from the glomerulus to the capsule and then the blood is filtered clean of waste products

I don't know the exact wording but correct me and add in things if I'm wrong please?

ReputationRep:

You missed out that amonsicioties (or whatever) can increase the risk of miscarriage

ReputationRep:
    IVF- risk of lower birth weights; expensive; chance of multiple virus

Surrogacy- ethical implications where the surrogate mother may not want to give up baby; religious reasons

Describe how insulin is made

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm really ****ty so correct me if I'm wrong but dna is taken from human insulin and added to an agar plate full of bacteria where the bacteria reproduce asexually and then insulin is made which can then be injected into someone?

List the 4 hormones included in the menstrual cycle and their functions

ReputationRep:
    Ultra filtration is when blood from the renal artery diffuses from the glomerulus to the capsule and then the blood is filtered clean of waste products

I don't know the exact wording but correct me and add in things if I'm wrong please?
    Ultrafiltration is where blood is pumped at a high pressure through the glomerulus and into the capsule, where water and other substances are carried through.

So it's essentially similar to what you said

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

it's at under high pressure and I dunno if diffusion is the right word, I would just say the high pressure forces the urea, glucose and water molecules from the glomerulus into the bowman's capsule.. it's tricky :P

ReputationRep:
    it's at under high pressure and I dunno if diffusion is the right word, I would just say the high pressure forces the urea, glucose and water molecules from the glomerulus into the bowman's capsule.. it's tricky :P
    Yeah, the Lonsdale revision guide says reabsorbed although to me, diffusion still makes sense... Unless diffusion is automatic and causes this reabsorption (not sure how this would fit in with ADH increasing permeability though)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm really ****ty so correct me if I'm wrong but dna is taken from human insulin and added to an agar plate full of bacteria where the bacteria reproduce asexually and then insulin is made which can then be injected into someone?

List the 4 hormones included in the menstrual cycle and their functions
    The human insulin gene is isolated using restriction enzymes then a loop of bacterial DNA is cut open using restrictiion enzymes, human insulin gene fused into gap in bacterial DNA using ligase enzymes then the transgenic gene reproduces and copies new DNA, the bacteria is then left in large fermenters to produce large amounts of insulin

FSH - signals ovaries to ripen egg and produce oestrogen
    Oestrogen - builds lining on uterus
    LH - Signals for egg to be realesed from ovaries
    Progesterone- Kepps uterus lining in place

What is a problem with organ donation and how is this combated?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the Lonsdale revision guide says reabsorbed although to me, diffusion still makes sense... Unless diffusion is automatic and causes this reabsorption (not sure how this would fit in with ADH increasing permeability though)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah but that's selective re-absorption not ultra-filtration ah I don't know haha, the revision guide isn't very clear !

ReputationRep:
    The human insulin gene is isolated using restriction enzymes then a loop of bacterial DNA is cut open using restrictiion enzymes, human insulin gene fused into gap in bacterial DNA using ligase enzymes then the transgenic gene reproduces and copies new DNA, the bacteria is then left in large fermenters to produce large amounts of insulin

FSH - signals ovaries to ripen egg and produce oestrogen
    Oestrogen - builds lining on uterus
    LH - Signals for egg to be realesed from ovaries
    Progesterone- Kepps uterus lining in place

What is a problem with organ donation and how is this combated?
    Thank you to both of you for correcting me! *hug*

And problems with organ donations is there are 4 hard criteria's to meet:

1) Relatively young - healthy and fit organs
    2) Similar body weight to patient
    3) Close tissue match
    4) Over the age of 18

Also organ donations could be rejected by immuo-supressive drugs stop this from happening

Explain how yoghurt is made?

ReputationRep:
    I....

How did you peoples fair in last years bio exam??
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If you dont mind me asking

Ryan

ReputationRep:

3) Close tissue match
    4) Over the age of 18

Also organ donations could be rejected by immuo-supressive drugs stop this from happening

All equipment is sterilised. Milk is heated to a high temperature and pasteurised. It's then cooled down and bacteria culture (lactobacillus) is inserted into the mixture. Temperature is kept warm so the enzymes don't denature and so the bacteria isn't killed. The yogurt is then sampled and finally, packaged and sold. The bacteria culture turns lactose into lactic acid, so the yogurt tastes more acidic.

Explain the consequences of a hole in the heart and describe the processes of a blood donation and transfusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All equipment is sterilised. Milk is heated to a high temperature and pasteurised. It's then cooled down and bacteria culture (lactobacillus) is inserted into the mixture. Temperature is kept warm so the enzymes don't denature and so the bacteria isn't killed. The yogurt is then sampled and finally, packaged and sold. The bacteria culture turns lactose into lactic acid, so the yogurt tastes more acidic.

Explain the consequences of a hole in the heart and describe the processes of a blood donation and transfusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ooh a double question!

Hole in the heart is when deoxygenated blood mixes with oxygenated blood causing less oxygeon to go to cells which makes the heart work faster. This can be easily corrected by surgery.

The process of blood donation is that the donor has to possess the same blood type for the blood to be accepted. However, O blood type group can be given to anyone but O blood type group please can only receive O type blood. I think that is what you meant or am I wrong?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Explain how an increase in humidity affects transpiritation and how air movement affects transpiritation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ryan
    Nah it's alright :P and 134 UMS

3) Close tissue match
    4) Over the age of 18

Equipment sterilised
    Milk pasteurised at 80 degrees killing microorganisms
    Bacteria added to milk and mixture is incubated
    Bacteria feed on lactose to produce lactic acid which thickens yoghurt and gives it a sharp taste
    Yoghurt is sampled for taste
    Colours and flavours added

How do fish use gills to get oxygen in their bodies? and why can't they breath air?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ryan
    Do you mean fail or...?

BTW: sorry guys for multi posting, its just my tapatalk mobile app doesn't allow me to multi-quote or edit my posts

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean fail or...?
    well grade...

i dont think anyone on this thread has failed (peoples answers dont represent it anyway) .... everyone has got an A* i think

ReputationRep:
    Ooh a double question!

Hole in the heart is when deoxygenated blood mixes with oxygenated blood causing less oxygeon to go to cells which makes the heart work faster. This can be easily corrected by surgery.

The process of blood donation is that the donor has to possess the same blood type for the blood to be accepted. However, O blood type group can be given to anyone but O blood type group please can only receive O type blood. I think that is what you meant or am I wrong?
    I'm not sure in how much detail we have to know this but what you described in the first part is correct and the second part is correct about transfusion (so you answered 2/3 of the question ). During the blood donation process, you give/donate a certain amount of blood which is then screened for disease and blood group and rhesus information is recorded before it is transfused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.