Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananarama2)
    Yup, it is about the square brackets.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think, I have done too much number theory .

As we speak, let me suggest something in this direction.

Problem 68**

Evaluate \displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}...\int_  {0}^{1} [x_{1}+x_{2}+...+x_{n}]dx_{1}dx_{2}...dx_{n}.
    Of course, [x] is the largest integer not greater than x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dknt)
    Another physicsy maths one :awesome:

Problem 65 **/***

A cone of base radius R, height H, mass M and homogeneous mass density ϱ is orientated as shown below.

Attachment 209111

The angle the cone makes to the xy plane is α. The cone is then attached to an axis along its outer mantle in the direction of  \hat{\mathbf{u}}.

Calculate the moment of inertia of the cone, with respect to this axis.
    I don't *know* how to do this. Is there anywhere you can point me to to read about it. (Inertia tensor? )

ReputationRep:
    I don't *know* how to do this. Is there anywhere you can point me to to read about it. (Inertia tensor? )
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's definitely the easiest way and if you can do it that way you should, however it's not necessary. Consider an arbitrary mass element dm at point r=(x,y,z). Decompose the vector r into its parallel and perpendicular components (relative to the axis). \mathbf{r}_{||}=(\mathbf{r} \cdot \hat{\mathbf{u}})\hat{\mathbf{u}  }. Then you can find the perpendicular component and then just use the integral definition for the moment of inertia. Strictly speaking this could be shorter than the tensor method, depending how you go about using the tensor.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Problem 69***

For x  \neq 0

evaluate

\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{r^2 + x^2}

ReputationRep:
    Solution 69

Consider the function \displaystyle f(z)=\frac{(-1)^{z}}{z^{2}+x^{2}}, which has poles at ix and -ix

We have \displaystyle Res(\pi \csc (\pi z)f(z),ix)= \frac{(-1)^{ix}\pi \csc (\pi x i)}{2ix} and \displaystyle Res(\pi \csc( \pi z)f(z),-ix)= \frac{(-1)^{-ix} \pi \csc (\pi x i)}{2ix}

Notice \displaystyle \csc (\pi x i)= -i csch (\pi x) and \displaystyle csch (\pi x)= \frac{2e^{\pi x}}{e^{2\pi x}-1}

So,

\begin{aligned}\displaystyle Res(\pi \csc( \pi z)f(z),ix)&= \frac{(-1)^{ix}\pi \csc (\pi x i)}{2ix} \\ &= -\frac{e^{-\pi x}\pi e^{\pi x}}{x(e^{2\pi x}-1)}\\ &= -\frac{\pi}{x}\frac{1}{e^{2\pi x}-1} \end{aligned}

\begin{aligned}\displaystyle Res(\pi\csc( \pi z)f(z),-ix) = -\frac{\pi}{x}\left(1+\frac{1}{e^  {2\pi x}-1}\right) \end{aligned}

Therefore \displaystyle -\sum_{a_{k}} Res(\pi \csc( \pi z)f(z),a_{k}) = \frac{\pi}{x}\left(1+\frac{2}{e^  {2\pi x}-1}\right) = \frac{\pi}{x} \coth (\pi x)

Now, since \displaystyle \sum_{r= -\infty}^{\infty} (-1)^{r}f(r) = -\sum_{a_{k}} Res(\pi\csc (\pi z) f(z)), where a_{k} are the poles of f, we obtain \displaystyle \sum_{r=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{r^{2}+x^{2}}= \frac{\pi}{x}\coth( \pi x)
    \displaystyle \sum_{r= -\infty}^{-1} \frac{1}{r^{2}+x^{2}} + \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{r^{2}+x^{2}} = \frac{1}{x^{2}}(\pi x\coth(\pi x)-1)

Hence \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{r^{2}+x^{2}} = \frac{1}{2x^{2}}(\pi x\coth(\pi x)-1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mladenov)
    Solution 69

Consider the function \displaystyle f(z)=\frac{(-1)^{z}}{z^{2}+x^{2}}, which has poles at ix and -ix

We have \displaystyle Res(\pi \csc (\pi z)f(z),ix)= \frac{(-1)^{ix}\pi \csc (\pi x i)}{2ix} and \displaystyle Res(\pi \csc( \pi z)f(z),-ix)= \frac{(-1)^{-ix} \pi \csc (\pi x i)}{2ix}

Notice \displaystyle \csc (\pi x i)= -i csch (\pi x) and \displaystyle csch (\pi x)= \frac{2e^{\pi x}}{e^{2\pi x}-1}

So,

\begin{aligned}\displaystyle Res(\pi \csc( \pi z)f(z),ix)&= \frac{(-1)^{ix}\pi \csc (\pi x i)}{2ix} \\ &= -\frac{e^{-\pi x}\pi e^{\pi x}}{x(e^{2\pi x}-1)}\\ &= -\frac{\pi}{x}\frac{1}{e^{2\pi x}-1} \end{aligned}

\begin{aligned}\displaystyle Res(\pi\csc( \pi z)f(z),-ix) = -\frac{\pi}{x}\left(1+\frac{1}{e^  {2\pi x}-1}\right) \end{aligned}

Therefore \displaystyle -\sum_{a_{k}} Res(\pi \csc( \pi z)f(z),a_{k}) = \frac{\pi}{x}\left(1+\frac{2}{e^  {2\pi x}-1}\right) = \frac{\pi}{x} \coth (\pi x)

Now, since \displaystyle \sum_{r= -\infty}^{\infty} (-1)^{r}f(r) = -\sum_{a_{k}} Res(\pi\csc (\pi z) f(z)), where a_{k} are the poles of f, we obtain \displaystyle \sum_{r=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{r^{2}+x^{2}}= \frac{\pi}{x}\coth( \pi x)
    \displaystyle \sum_{r= -\infty}^{-1} \frac{1}{r^{2}+x^{2}} + \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{r^{2}+x^{2}} = \frac{1}{x^{2}}(\pi x\coth(\pi x)-1)

Hence \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{r^{2}+x^{2}} = \frac{1}{2x^{2}}(\pi x\coth(\pi x)-1)
    Don't you just love elementary solutions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    Don't you just love elementary solutions?
    As Nikolai Nikolov, the leader of our mathematics team, says: Why simple, when it could be complicated?!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Methinks that I have digested quite well his advice.

ReputationRep:
    As Nikolai Nikolov, the leader of our mathematics team, says: Why simple, when it could be complicated?!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Methinks that I have digested quite well his advice.
    Out of curiosity, how old are you and are you planning on studying at university here? (Take to PM if you'd like)

ReputationRep:
    This one is a bit easy compared to some of what's been posted but it's quite a nice question;

Problem 70 */**

Consider the set \{1, 2, 3,..., N\}. Two sets A and B are chosen independently and equally likely among all the subsets of \{1, 2, 3,..., N\}.

Find P(A \subseteq B).

I hope it's not already been done.

ReputationRep:
    Which IMO team are you on then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    Out of curiosity, how old are you and are you planning on studying at university here? (Take to PM if you'd like)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I am 19 years old, and I am in my last year of high school.
    Yes, I am planning to study at university either in UK or in France.

Which IMO team are you on then?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have not participated in the IMO yet.
    In tenth grade, I finished 11th (out of 12) on our team selection test. Last year I was second reserve (finished 8th). I hope I will make it this year.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Only if there was no geometry..

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In tenth grade, I finished 11th (out of 12) on our team selection test. Last year I was second reserve (finished 8th). I hope I will make it this year.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's literally amazing. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Solution 70

Note that there are 2^{N} subsets of \{1,2,..,N\}.
    Let card(B)=i,  i \in \{0,1,..,N\}. Then \displaystyle P(card(B)=i)= \frac{\dbinom{N}{i}}{2^{N}}. So, since there are 2^{i} subsets of B, we have \displaystyle P(A \subseteq B)= \sum_{i=0}^{N} \frac{\dbinom{N}{i}}{2^{N}}\frac  {1}{2^{N-i}}= \frac{1}{2^{2N}}\sum_{i=0}^{N} \dbinom{N}{i} 2^{i}=\frac{3^{N}}{2^{2N}} .

ReputationRep:
    **Complex analysis awesomeness**
    My way:
    \dfrac{sinx}{x}= \Pi (1-\dfrac{x^2}{(\pi r)^2})

\Rightarrow \dfrac{sin(i \pi x)}{i \pi x}= \Pi (1+\dfrac{x^2}{ r^2})

\Rightarrow ln(\dfrac{sin(i \pi x)}{i \pi x})= \displaystyle \Sigma ln(1+\dfrac{x^2}{r^2})
    Differentiating both sides wrt x:
    \displaystyle \Sigma \dfrac{2x}{r^2+x^2}= \dfrac{d}{dx}[ln(\dfrac{sin(i \pi x)}{i \pi x})]=\dfrac{d}{dx}[ln(\dfrac{sinh(\pi x)}{\pi x})]=1/x(\pi x coth(\pi x)-1)

\Rightarrow \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{r^{2}+x^{2}} = \frac{1}{2x^{2}}(\pi x\coth(\pi x)-1)

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I am 19 years old, and I am in my last year of high school.
    Yes, I am planning to study at university either in UK or in France.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show

That really is incredible. Make sure you have a look at STEP and MAT, assuming you apply to Oxford / Cambridge / Imperial / Warwick.

Also, you'll be pleased to know that there is no Euclidean plane geometry of the kind that's useful for IMO at university!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by shamika)

Also, you'll be pleased to know that there is no Euclidean plane geometry of the kind that's useful for IMO at university!
    This may be a silly question but does anybody like geometry?? Even Mladenov who appears to be a maths genius dislikes it

ReputationRep:
    Problem 71**

Find all x,y \in \mathbb{C} such that x^y = y^x.

EDIT: The question is asking for a way to generate solutions of that kind. To be precise, define the pair of parametric functions x,y : S \to \mathbb{C} such that x(a)^{y(a)} = y(a)^{x(a)} for all a of some set S (for example, \mathbb{R} or \mathbb{C}), and the functions must be able to generate all the possible solutions in \mathbb{C}. You shouldn't need to use any function definitions beyond A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    This may be a silly question but does anybody like geometry?? Even Mladenov who appears to be a maths genius dislikes it
    At least in the UK, the problem is that it's not taught properly. I remember at GCSE I had to randomly learn the circle theorems a day before the exam because no one had bother teaching them at school. Similarly with vectors; in retrospect my teacher had really confused the hell out of us, despite spending weeks trying to explain. The fact that a vector could be 'free' just made no sense to me until several months into my A-Levels. Needless to say, my mind was blown

ReputationRep:
    I don't Dunno if they like it or not but the Chinese have some really freaky Euclidean geometry in their syllabus - someone mus like it

ReputationRep:
    I quite like it The only real disadvantage is trying to get a compass that doesn't screw up your circle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.