Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RC5496)
    Is Alternative Vote the same as Single Transferbale vote?? reading my notes it seems they are the same someone help! Also my teacher predicted Minimum Pricing of Alcohol for DME!! Pressure groups or House of Lords, PR vs FPTP, and immigration for USA. personally i think it might be their political influence due to the 2012 presidential election
    AV isnt the same as STV i dont think but its unlikely to come up, AV i mean :P
    What kind of BK would you need for minimum pricing on alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaLee123)
    AV isnt the same as STV i dont think but its unlikely to come up, AV i mean :P
    What kind of BK would you need for minimum pricing on alcohol?
    Mention how minimum pricing in Scotland has been ineffective to an extent. For example, Buckfast, a cheap drink, is not affected by it and additionally some supermarkets offer special deals on beverages to circumvent this legislation.
    On the other hand, you could discuss how it's been successful in other countries, such as Canada, where a 10% increase in cost for all alcoholic beverages has resulted in a 3.4% decrease in total alcohol consumption, according to a studies carried out by the IAS (Institute of Alcohol Studies).

ReputationRep:
    How would you structure an essay discussing American immigration and the disadvantages/advantages of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    How would you structure an essay discussing American immigration and the disadvantages/advantages of it?
    I do like a little para on immigration in the USA (like a nation of immigrants etc), then a para on advantages, para on disadvantages then a para on government measures (like IMMACT) - not sure if this is the best way though but hey!

ReputationRep:
    What I do is 4 paragraphs - 1 on an economic benefit, then economic disadvantage, then a paragraph on cultural benefit, then cultural disadvantage etc..

Obviously it doesn't need to focus on economic and cultural factors though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarwalk49)
    Reading through this and everyones freaking out, I've just been learning loads of essays, spent like an hour pacing around my room reciting it then write it out in under 22 mins, its worked for nearly all of mine and ive still got 3 days !!
    Is this actually working for you? How are you memorising the essays so easily? Might try this coz writing out notes and essay plans isn't working for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amber_sss)
    Is this actually working for you? How are you memorising the essays so easily? Might try this coz writing out notes and essay plans isn't working for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It really is haha my essays aren't really long but there still grade A standard and when you can memorise them writing them in 22 mins is a lot simpler

ReputationRep:
    In our nab for section 1B, we were asked about how Her Majesty's Opposition (HMO) influence decision making in central government.

Don't know if it h
    as much chance of coming up, but I thought I'd mention it just in case

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with the social issues in the UK? You have a choice between two questions ( health or wealth) does that mean i can leave out sutdying wealth? Does a question ALWAYS come up on health? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amber_sss)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    What about trying study cards - pick six/seven things - so say for immigration - two benifits to the USA and two policies encouraging it, then two that are unbenificial to the USA and a policy that discourages it. pick the most up to date ones

ReputationRep:
    I need help with the influence of ethnic minorities on the outcome of an election

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolagrantgrant)
    Can anyone help me with the social issues in the UK? You have a choice between two questions ( health or wealth) does that mean i can leave out sutdying wealth? Does a question ALWAYS come up on health? Sorry if this is a stupid question!
    No sorry you definitely can't just learn one of them! It's pretty rare to get a question that only asks about either health OR wealth - most combine both together.
    The two questions aren't one on health and one on wealth - it's normally split into inequalities and government policies to reduce these inequalities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fjords)
    Wow, that worries me a little. We did not cover the effect of immigration on the country itself at all.

How likely is it that this will come up? Does anyone have any essay plan or anything?
    Arguments for Immigration
    Cheap labour helps keep the prices of products low. In California they have jobs like Agriculture and fruit picking. They do jobs people do not want, hard labour.
    Immigrants are young and economically active. Contribute 30 billion each year to the economy.
    Harvard studies show that immigration reduces crime as most immigrants want to stay in the country and therefore behave and live in good areas.
    Cultural Diversity is enhanced, more fashion and food.
    They bring new skills and create new jobs. Evident with APIs.
    Stimulate the economy housing, education, insurance etc.
    The US has a reputation as a land of the free, history of immigration.
    Political Refugees need a haven, Korea, China, South America.

Arguments against Immigration
    Wage levels kept low, competition for jobs and housing etc.
    Cost to the taxpayer. 30 billion spent on health, education and welfare.
    US State Department reported the threat of Mexican Gangs
    Overwhelmed culture: 45m SPanish speakers, 40m immigrants, 25% of them are in the country illegally and no assimilation from them.
    Huge investment into border security.
    Before 9/11 it was economy fear but now a security fear.
    Issue in California and Texas - Proposition 187 passed by people in state vote - evidence of opposition.

Responses to Immigration
    Due to the credit crunch and increased Government action immigration has declined from 12.5 million in 2007 to 11.1 in 2009.
    Bush introduced the USA Patriot Act and the Border Security Act both introduced in 2001, restricted and controlled entry of immigrants into the US.
    A border wall between the USA and Mexico was expanded and the number of Border patrol Agents reached a record high of 16 500.
    Operation Jump start, a project to prevent illegal immigrants from getting into the country, involved military support to help agents. In 2008, estimated 200,000 immigrants were stopped. Congress refused Bush’s request to continue to fund it.
    Obama continued some policies. Increased Border Patrol Agents by 1500 in 2010.
    In 2010, the state passed a law allowing the police to query the immigration status of anyone they stop and allowing the state to close businesses that hire illegal immigrants. Obama challenged it, but they said it was okay, omg.

ReputationRep:
    Here is my background knowledge for the DME.
    I made it a Mnemonic of my username so that I can remember it :P

Universal Minimum Wage Attitudes Raploch Taxation Iraq Attitudes Neets

U is for Universal benefits.
    A universal benefit is available equally to all people and is not means tested.
    On the other hand, a means tested benefit is something a person receives only gets once their income has been taken into account.
    A good example of a universal benefit is, or was, Child Benefit. Currently all parents in the UK receive child benefit for their children, regardless of their income.
    Parents receive £20.30 per week for the first child and £13.40 per week for others.
    But, from 2014, under Coalition Government plans, Child Benefit, for the first time, will be means-tested.
    Higher rate taxpayers, estimated to be those earning over £42,000, will receive no Child Benefit.
    Ironically, a two-income family with a joint income of £83,000, with both parents earning £41,500 each, would continue to receive Child Benefit.
    A good example of a means tested benefit is free school meals.
    Only those parents who are unemployed, or on low incomes, are entitled to free school meals.
    Currently, around 122,000 children in Scotland receive free school meals.

M is for Minimum Wage.
    The Labour Government of 1997-2001 introduced the National Minimum Wage (NMW).
    The NMW, from October 2010, is £5.93 per hour for those 21 and over, £4.92 for those aged between 18 and 20 and £3.64 for 16-17 year olds.

A is for Attitudes
    The 2010 British Social Attitudes Survey showed the British people to have mixed views towards spending on social issues.
    On the one hand, there was a move to the Right, with fewer people (27%) believing that Government should spend more on benefits. Only 36% believed that Government should redistribute income towards the poor.
    On the other hand, the majority of people are happy with state spending on health and education. 64% of the public are happy with the way the NHS is run and 73% are happy with the teaching of basic skills.

R is for Raploch.
    The Raploch council estate in Stirling is a classic case of a poor community which is now benefiting from investment by a variety of public and private organisations.
    There was high unemployment, poor health and high rates of crime.
    The anti-social behaviour of one Mags Haney brought national attention to the estate and not for the right reasons.
    Now, through “joined up” or partnership working by the Scottish Government, NHS Scotland and Scottish Enterprise, life in the Raploch is improving for its residents.
    Housing has improved. There is lower crime and drug abuse.
    There is still poverty but a combination of collectivism (government action) and individual responsibility has created success stories.
    T is for Taxation
    We are taxed on just about everything we earn and everything we spend.
    Incomes are taxed by Income Tax.
    Businesses pay Corporation tax.
    Savings are taxed.
    Most of our spending, especially tobacco, alcohol and fuel, is taxed too, through VAT.
    If you buy a house you are likely to pay “Stamp Duty”.
    Car owners pay Road Tax.
    For most people in the UK, a large part of their earnings go on paying Council Tax.
    Even when we die, many people’s assets are subject to Inheritance Tax.
    Tax can be used to create more, or less equality.
    The Chancellor’s changes affect everyone differently, depending on individual financial circumstances and spending choices.
    The most recent changes in UK Income Tax came into effect in June 2010.
    Those earning £0 - £2,044 pay 10% in Income Tax. £0 - £37,400 pay the standard rate of 20%.
    Those earning £37,401 start to pay the Higher rate, of 40%. Those earning over £150,000 pay 50%.
    All are subject to personal allowances, which are not taxable.

I is for Iraq
    The UK's Iraq's Inquiry in January 2010 showed that war in Iraq has cost the British tax payer £9.24billion.
    There will be other, significant, costs to the NHS.
    Thousands of British troops in Iraq have been identified with mental health problems.
    There have been over 300 cases of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

A is for Attitudes
    On the other hand, the majority of people are happy with state spending on health and education. 64% of the public are happy with the way the NHS is run and 73% are happy with the teaching of basic skills.

N is for NEETS
    NEETs is the term used to describe young people who are Not in Education, Employment or Training.
    Currently there are around 15,000 teenage NEETs in Scotland.
    NEETS are much more likely to be socially excluded and involved in crime.
    NB. The SNP Government does not use the term NEETS any longer, arguing that the term has "negative connotations".
    Instead the Scottish Government refers to the "More Choices, More Chances" group.
    Research for the Scottish Government shows that the Educational Maintenance Allowance scheme (EMA), whereby pupils from lower income families receive benefit to stay on at school, is not improving the educational attainment of NEETs.
    It found that most who claim EMA would stay on at school anyway and NEETS are not staying on at school for Highers.
    Glasgow City Council runs a vocational training programme for the entire west of Scotland.
    This has proved to be successful in improving truancy and behaviour, as well as job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    Just 3 more days and I won't ever have to touch my notes again.

ReputationRep:
    Just 3 more days and I won't ever have to touch my notes again.
    anybody burning it?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good statistic for the USA question to what extent do ethnic minorities achieve the America dream?

ReputationRep:
    anybody burning it?
    Oh yeah.

ReputationRep:
    anybody burning it?
    Me me me

ReputationRep:
    anybody burning it?
    definitely, top of the pile :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.