ReputationRep:
    I always have to scroll right back to the top or press the home button on my keyboard and then click the big logo on the top left. Would be easier not to have to do that!

ReputationRep:
    Have to say I think the bar at the top is annoying as its essentially a waste of space which is taking up part of my screen
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by c_al)
    Have to say I think the bar at the top is annoying as its essentially a waste of space which is taking up part of my screen
    I'm tempted to say the same, but I don't know if it's just because I'm not used to it.

ReputationRep:
    The green bar also covers the top of a post when you go to the latest post in a thread.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This just shifted:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c_al)

(Original post by Zottula)
    I'm tempted to say the same, but I don't know if it's just because I'm not used to it.
    Agreed, in both cases.

ReputationRep:
    There's a block of green crap following me down the screen.

It doesn't scroll left and right on the phone (nokia c3) so I can't use the search feature or the link to the log in page anymore.
    Well done, I said the next time you performed an 'upgrade' to the site it'd make it unusable for me and you so nearly succeeded this time. Fortunately I kinda guessed what might be coming and bookmarked a link to the login page.

You seriously need to get a grip on the stupid cosmetic changes you're constantly making to the site. Commercial companies don't ass about like this with their users. People come here to use the message board not look at a load of pointless bells and whistles - saying people should join the testing team does not make it alright.

The out of the box forum is usable and fairly attractive it'd be so much better if you left it that way.
    I seriously hope you pass this up to someone with the authority to reign in your fiddling. It's not about making it work for every particular brand of phone or improving your testing procedures... It's about recognising when you've got a ui that works well alone and not mucking about for no reason.
    You are not loosing market share or whatever it is you're worried about because the forum doesn't have enough gimmicks in it's menus.

ReputationRep:
    Fixing the green header bar to the viewport is not a bad idea but once again badly implemented. For a start it cuts off the tops of posts if you follow a link directly to one, it also doesn't play nicely with logos and menus. Having made my living building websites in the past I can say I would not have expected to receive my full fee for everything that's been done to TSR over the last couple of months, not because it's aesthetically displeasing (although it is) but because it's shoddy work.

If you're determined to burn time and money on this, can I suggest doing something useful rather than unnecessary cosmetic changes which please nobody. You might start by considering mobile accessibility.

ReputationRep:
    The green bar doesn't move on my phone or my tablet :dontknow: Not that it really matters since I tend to use the app anyway.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Hi all,

The green header bar shouldn't move on mobile devices (but it's possible that a few mobile browsers will still render it to scroll down the page).

The anchoring issue (where it covers the top of posts) is on the list to be fixed, as are the problems with the logos. Hopefully this will be sorted ASAP.

Thanks for your patience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    The green bar doesn't move on my phone or my tablet :dontknow: Not that it really matters since I tend to use the app anyway.
    I believe that support for CSS 'fixed' elements (such as the menu bar) isn't implemented in the same way on mobile devices. Most devices will convert it to a static element (as it was before - or close to that).

ReputationRep:
    The green bar looks very odd, but once the issues of logos and covering the tops of posts are fixed, it should be ok.

I strongly support the idea of having a link on the floating bar (top left perhaps?) to the home page.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    I believe that support for CSS 'fixed' elements (such as the menu bar) isn't implemented in the same way on mobile devices. Most devices will convert it to a static element (as it was before - or close to that).
    Apparently support for position:fixed; has been added for devices running Android 3+ and iOS5+ though. :holmes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    One suggestion is maybe have a button where it takes you back to the top of the screen? :dontknow: But I quite like the bar, would work well on a mobile device :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Mobiles can handle position:fixed and will keep it that way

I think they probably use a media query in the css file to set position:static if the screen height is less than a certain amount

ReputationRep:
    I think the green bar is being naughty and should stay at the top where it belongs.

I've therefore updated my TSR toolbox script so you can now enable a preference to whip it back into submission - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0&postcount=66 (general install instructions in first post of the thread).
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by G8D)
    Is horizontal scrolling going to happen? :puppyeyes:
    I think it's important that the drop-downs and search remain accessible regardless of your set-up, so yes

ReputationRep:
    Could you add a homepage link to the green banner?

Atm, I use a bookmark to go to TSR homepage instead of scrolling all the way back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    You know what would be good? A link back to the homepage on the new scrolling header.
    Really good idea - we'll try and get it done by next week

ReputationRep:
    Is the text on posts smaller than it was before the redesign? Recently, I feel like I've had to keeping straining to read it... although, strangely, I can't remember having that problem just after the redesign.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.