Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceKidd)
    Hi, at most cambridge colleges they have a small 1 hour paper on the day of your interview, and your solutions are discussed during your interview and new problems are approached.

Since Oxford has the MAT already is this the same. Is there also a small test for any of the colleges so that some of your interview involves discussing your answers to some of these problems. Or is there no test/problem sheet for any college?
    I don't know any college that does it. There is a disadvantage to having a paper, it's quite easy to miss out on the applicants' thought process if they've done solutions before the interview. Being put on the spot in an interview is considerably more daunting (and probably more telling for the tutors).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I don't know any college that does it. There is a disadvantage to having a paper, it's quite easy to miss out on the applicants' thought process if they've done solutions before the interview. Being put on the spot in an interview is considerably more daunting (and probably more telling for the tutors).
    Tbh I think a paper before is better. In the interview about half an hour (for trinity camb ones) is spent discussing what you were thinking when you did this and why you did that and so forth in your solution. Then the remaining questions you didnt attempt you can give your thought processes on how you could attempt that and they can give you hints and see how you react. And for a question you couldnt answer yourself in the hour before, they can see how you react to help and if you are then able to solve it.

Also when I do step questions, when i choose question it can occassionally take me a few minutes to see what I need to do. I imagine in an interview you want to work it out within seconds, because a few minutes of silence has got to be bad!

Thank you for the reply btw

ReputationRep:
    On question 3)v), why is the answer 1/8 and not 1/12? I don't understand the mark scheme.

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fil...est09-edit.pdf
    https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi...utions09_2.pdf

What does "non-decreasing line and also (12 B − 1) − 4 B 0 for the first n = 1 case to hold." mean?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konnichiwa)
    On question 3)v), why is the answer 1/8 and not 1/12? I don't understand the mark scheme.

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fil...est09-edit.pdf
    https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi...utions09_2.pdf

What does "non-decreasing line and also (12 B − 1) − 4 B 0 for the first n = 1 case to hold." mean?

Thank you!
    Haha I have just literally done that paper, I just though you had to sub n=1 in because that was the minimum on the graph that you draw in part i for large value of n, I may be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChildishHambino)
    Haha I have just literally done that paper, I just though you had to sub n=1 in because that was the minimum on the graph that you draw in part i for large value of n, I may be wrong though.
    Just saying, you're so pretty! Totally random, I know. Beats the Mathmo stereotype.
    I gather you're a Childish Gambino fan?
    Which college have you applied to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Just saying, you're so pretty! Totally random, I know. Beats the Mathmo stereotype.
    I gather you're a Childish Gambino fan?
    Which college have you applied to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    haha thanks and yeah think he's wicked!! Mansfield hbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChildishHambino)
    haha thanks and yeah think he's wicked!! Mansfield hbu?
    I've only heard two songs of his, 'Bonfire' (I think) and 'Heartbeat'.

Keble for M+CS. I'll probs be one of a small number of girls...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dutchmaths)
    If you've already attained the relevant US qualifications for your course, doesn't that make whatever grades you get for your Indian qualification irrelevant?
    I'm Dutch, so I need to get good grades in a whole slew of subjects that have little to do with my course (Maths) as well. It's annoying, but I kind of understand why they ask for it. This year would be a cakewalk if all I needed to get was an 8 or a 9 for my two Maths subjects and (for example) Physics, with nothing dependent on how well I do in my other five subjects, and I imagine studying at Oxford would be quite a change from that. I think they want to make sure people are challenged in their last year.
    Let's get to the intervies first I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konnichiwa)
    On question 3)v), why is the answer 1/8 and not 1/12?

If you put B > 1/12 does the inequality hold for all n? You've made the gradient of the line positive but the initial case (n=1) can still be negative.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone, and does anyone know when and how we will get our MAT results? Since other universities may be interested in my MAT score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayonara)
    Good luck everyone, and does anyone know when and how we will get our MAT results? Since other universities may be interested in my MAT score.
    You don't get the results unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzy pops)
    Hi, does anyone have any tips on how to approach questions, because sometimes I just look at questions and don't even know where to start! Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks XD!
    every question is different but i also have this problem, the more i do the papers i find myself knowing what to do, e.g. i find a lot of question have power manipulation such as 2^(x+2) +4=8^x+4^x which should go to 4.2^x +4=2^3x+2^2x
    and sub in y=2^x. for questions with "guess the graph?" see negative values of y and intercepts and patterns of repetition etc.
    any particular questions you are confused with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    You don't get the results unfortunately.
    do you think it would be fine to ask them what you got after offer/rejections come out and you have gotten an offer?

ReputationRep:
    Q2 part ii specimen 2
    B=16 so b= +- 4 but they only consider b=+4. Why?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seohyun)
    Q2 part ii specimen 2
    B=16 so b= +- 4 but they only consider b=+4. Why?

i wasnt sure when i did that question aswell. so i just did b=4 as it was only going to be one of them. out of interest,....what did the answer with b=-4 turn out to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceKidd)
    i wasnt sure when i did that question aswell. so i just did b=4 as it was only going to be one of them. out of interest,....what did the answer with b=-4 turn out to be?
    ((x^2) - (+-sqrt(12)) - 4) ( (x^2) + (+-sqrt(12)) - 4)

ReputationRep:
    The question asks for a single factorization. It happens that positive b is a nicer choice as you don't need to seal with signs which is why use b = 4.
    Your final answer is the same in the last part.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cem101)
    every question is different but i also have this problem, the more i do the papers i find myself knowing what to do, e.g. i find a lot of question have power manipulation such as 2^(x+2) +4=8^x+4^x which should go to 4.2^x +4=2^3x+2^2x
    and sub in y=2^x. for questions with "guess the graph?" see negative values of y and intercepts and patterns of repetition etc.
    any particular questions you are confused with?
    2011 question 1g, I have no idea which function you use and why and do the limits change??? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Just those two I think. A few others use STEP.
    I did AS and A2 Maths this year. I got an A* 589/600

UMS breakdown:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    C1: 98
    C2: 100
    C3: 100
    C4: 100
    S1: 100
    M1: 91

What about you?
    Pretty nice scores there, which exam board are you with?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.