Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I asked for feedback from Slade and they basically told me I didn't do anything wrong and they really liked my work, it's just that the course is so competitive. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzie210)
    To any goldsmiths interviewees; did they take your photo during the interview as they didn't take mine but they took a photo of a guy on my course during his interview so I'm now starting to panic that thats a bad sign...:/

I did apply for the fine art and hisotry of art course and he applied for the straight fine art course..not sure if that makes any difference!?
    When I went they took a picture of everyone when we arrived, but I was also for the single honours course.They didn't take one during the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzie210)
    To any goldsmiths interviewees; did they take your photo during the interview as they didn't take mine but they took a photo of a guy on my course during his interview so I'm now starting to panic that thats a bad sign...:/

I did apply for the fine art and hisotry of art course and he applied for the straight fine art course..not sure if that makes any difference!?
    I hope not lol because I had a bike accident on Sunday and I'm black and blue! They'll probably remember me though :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelveticaBold)
    I've posted my flickr before, but here it is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/102018...7639981505374/
    I promised myself I wouldn't re-apply next year (I'd be applying for the 3rd time) but now the rejection is a reality I'm totally considering it. :/

Do you have any artwork online?

I'm on a Foundation. If you haven't done one and would like to try again for Slade I'd recommend it as it's what most people do. It gives you a second shot.
    Hey, sorry to hear about your rejection.
    I hope I don't cause any offence but have you ever thought that you might be idolising the Slade a bit? I'm sure it IS a great school, but often places are what you make of them. And you have offers from other reputable art schools, what makes Slade so much better than them? Ive heard that it is extremely competitive there, I'm not sure if that's what you want, but personally I want to be in at a uni with a bit of a community, and working in a studio with other students that I can bounce ideas off, not expect to be stabbed in the back by!
    If you 're motivated and your works great then you will do well in any establishment, why waste your years re applying to the slade when you could be studying elsewhere and perusing your dreams as an artist. I'm sure you spoke of MA before too? Once you have an MA no one is going to look or care about where you did your BA! I know it's hard when you have your heart set on something but really I don't think it's all that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omifeeney)
    I hope I don't cause any offence but have you ever thought that you might be idolising the Slade a bit? I'm sure it IS a great school, but often places are what you make of them. And you have offers from other reputable art schools, what makes Slade so much better than them? I've heard that it is extremely competitive there, I'm not sure if that's what you want, but personally I want to be in at a uni with a bit of a community, and working in a studio with other students that I can bounce ideas off, not expect to be stabbed in the back by!
    If you 're motivated and your works great then you will do well in any establishment, why waste your years re applying to the Slade when you could be studying elsewhere and perusing your dreams as an artist. I'm sure you spoke of MA before too? Once you have an MA no one is going to look or care about where you did your BA! I know it's hard when you have your heart set on something but really I don't think it's all that..
    No offense taken, I've thought about this before. But I'm actually not that bothered about reputation (which is why I'd probably choose Brighton over Goldsmiths), that's not what attracted me to Slade. I haven't heard of any backstabbing going on. On the contrary people at Slade seem to have group exhibitions often and help each other out. But I think everyone is extremely motivated to become a successful artist and you might not get the same community feel as you would somewhere else. Personally I'd prefer this as I want somewhere that's going to prepare me for life in the art world (which is pretty cut-throat). However, I don't want to be somewhere that's too cold or competitive, especially between students on the same course, and this is one concern I have about Goldsmiths. Both tutors and students was just so happy and friendly at Slade, and I thought it was a relaxed atmosphere despite the slightly austere building, haha.

I agree that any art school will be what you make of it, and I'm certainly not turning my nose up at the offers I've received as both Brighton and Kingston are very competitive, but I didn't feel like I fit in there in the same way as I did with the people at Slade. It's more the atmosphere and people I met there, I felt like I could be friends with everyone.
    It's advantages over Brighton were it being in London (with all the convenient museums and art galleries) and it being part of a more academic institution where I could go to lectures for any subject, which I would love. However, Brighton does have the advantage of having better film facilities, although my access the these would be limited as I'm on the Painting course, as well as being in a more modern building. It is also close to London, but there'd be no popping into the British Museum at lunch. I've pretty much decided I'm going to accept my offer from Brighton and then see how I feel after a term there. Hopefully I'll fall in love with it and I can think about Slade for an MA, but if I feel I'd be much more at home at Slade I'll think about re-applying.

I think I probably do idolise Slade a bit as it's been my dream for two years. It's kind of hard to let that go.
    Thanks for your thoughts, I think you're right about not taking another year out. It's nice to talk this out with people.

ReputationRep:
    I asked for feedback from Slade and they basically told me I didn't do anything wrong and they really liked my work, it's just that the course is so competitive. :/
    I hope I don't cause any offence but have you ever thought that you might be idolising the Slade a bit? I'm sure it IS a great school, but often places are what you make of them. And you have offers from other reputable art schools, what makes Slade so much better than them? Ive heard that it is extremely competitive there, I'm not sure if that's what you want, but personally I want to be in at a uni with a bit of a community, and working in a studio with other students that I can bounce ideas off, not expect to be stabbed in the back by!
    If you 're motivated and your works great then you will do well in any establishment, why waste your years re applying to the slade when you could be studying elsewhere and perusing your dreams as an artist. I'm sure you spoke of MA before too? Once you have an MA no one is going to look or care about where you did your BA! I know it's hard when you have your heart set on something but really I don't think it's all that..
    You are extremely talented and your work is clearly outstanding, technically and the ideas behind it, and it's a real shame you didn't get into the university you really had your heart set on.

However, I agree with omifeeney about re-applying. Maybe the way you work and think just isn't what they are looking for. The Slade is in the same calibre as Goldsmiths and lots of other courses in terms of reputation etc, if that is something that is important to you, and as omifeeney says, your MA is the one that will really count! You have some amazing offers (loads of people I know got rejected by Brighton, it's not at all easy to get into), and it would be a real shame to refuse them on the chance of getting into the Slade on the third try, which isn't even guaranteed, when it might not even be the best course for you in reality in terms of not only your work itself, but the way in which you work (which is something they would definitely have considered).
    If I hadn't got in I would have been gutted, but I would have assumed that I wasn't suited to the course, and would have gone for my second choice. I wouldn't try and mould myself in order to fit into what I think a university wants.

I truly think you will do fantastically wherever you go!!

ReputationRep:
    No offense taken, I've thought about this before. But I'm actually not that bothered about reputation (which is why I'd probably choose Brighton over Goldsmiths), that's not what attracted me to Slade. I haven't heard of any backstabbing going on. On the contrary people at Slade seem to have group exhibitions often and help each other out. But I think everyone is extremely motivated to become a successful artist and you might not get the same community feel as you would somewhere else. Personally I'd prefer this as I want somewhere that's going to prepare me for life in the art world (which is pretty cut-throat). However, I don't want to be somewhere that's too cold or competitive, especially between students on the same course, and this is one concern I have about Goldsmiths. Both tutors and students was just so happy and friendly at Slade, and I thought it was a relaxed atmosphere despite the slightly austere building, haha.

I agree that any art school will be what you make of it, and I'm certainly not turning my nose up at the offers I've received as both Brighton and Kingston are very competitive, but I didn't feel like I fit in there in the same way as I did with the people at Slade. It's more the atmosphere and people I met there, I felt like I could be friends with everyone.
    It's advantages over Brighton were it being in London (with all the convenient museums and art galleries) and it being part of a more academic institution where I could go to lectures for any subject, which I would love. However, Brighton does have the advantage of having better film facilities, although my access the these would be limited as I'm on the Painting course, as well as being in a more modern building. It is also close to London, but there'd be no popping into the British Museum at lunch. I've pretty much decided I'm going to accept my offer from Brighton and then see how I feel after a term there. Hopefully I'll fall in love with it and I can think about Slade for an MA, but if I feel I'd be much more at home at Slade I'll think about re-applying.

I think I probably do idolise Slade a bit as it's been my dream for two years. It's kind of hard to let that go.
    Thanks for your thoughts, I think you're right about not taking another year out. It's nice to talk this out with people.
    I posted before I read this, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoeah)
    You are extremely talented and your work is clearly outstanding, technically and the ideas behind it, and it's a real shame you didn't get into the university you really had your heart set on.

However, I agree with omifeeney about re-applying. Maybe the way you work and think just isn't what they are looking for. The Slade is in the same calibre as Goldsmiths and lots of other courses in terms of reputation etc, if that is something that is important to you, and as omifeeney says, your MA is the one that will really count! You have some amazing offers (loads of people I know got rejected by Brighton, it's not at all easy to get into), and it would be a real shame to refuse them on the chance of getting into the Slade on the third try, which isn't even guaranteed, when it might not even be the best course for you in reality in terms of not only your work itself, but the way in which you work (which is something they would definitely have considered).
    If I hadn't got in I would have been gutted, but I would have assumed that I wasn't suited to the course, and would have gone for my second choice. I wouldn't try and mould myself in order to fit into what I think a university wants.

(Original post by Zoeah)
    I posted before I read this, sorry!
    You still make a good point. I'm confident my way of working would fit the course, and this was confirmed by the feedback they gave me, but I think you might be right about things just not being meant to be. I'll see where I am with my work in a years time.
    Thanks for your help and kind words about my work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoeah)

Seconded. It could be that they rejected you because they didn't feel you'd be suited to the course (I know you loved the feel of it, but sometimes we can make a wrong judgement call).

I'm sure you'll do well wherever you go. Once you receive all your offers it could be worth going for a second look at all the places you have offers from and deciding after that.

ReputationRep:

I haven't heard of any backstabbing as such, I've just heard it's very competitive once in there. If you're still convinced you want to study there you can do an MA there, but then again there is more buzz around the RCA and RA for postgrad courses.

London is great, but the price of living here is so high at the moment that it's very tough as a student, particularly studying fine art as art making is so expensive, so I can see the practicalities of living out of the city. And Brighton is a really nice town too.

I had the same concern about Goldsmiths, but I have hung around in their studios a bit as friends of friends study there, and the majority seemed really friendly with one another and were having conversations about their work and ideas. Personally I find the discussions with my peers in the studio more helpful than the fleeting tutorials I get with my tutor, which is why I liked the look of Goldsmiths. I felt the lack of tutor contact and all the critique would prepare me better than other places. But I guess every year has a new group of students and it's impossible to tell what they will be like, after all the institution doesn't dictate peoples personalities. Have you definitely ruled out Goldsmiths? And have you heard from Chelsea yet?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard of any backstabbing as such, I've just heard it's very competitive once in there. If you're still convinced you want to study there you can do an MA there, but then again there is more buzz around the RCA and RA for postgrad courses.

London is great, but the price of living here is so high at the moment that it's very tough as a student, particularly studying fine art as art making is so expensive, so I can see the practicalities of living out of the city. And Brighton is a really nice town too.

I had the same concern about Goldsmiths, but I have hung around in their studios a bit as friends of friends study there, and the majority seemed really friendly with one another and were having conversations about their work and ideas. Personally I find the discussions with my peers in the studio more helpful than the fleeting tutorials I get with my tutor, which is why I liked the look of Goldsmiths. I felt the lack of tutor contact and all the critique would prepare me better than other places. But I guess every year has a new group of students and it's impossible to tell what they will be like, after all the institution doesn't dictate peoples personalities. Have you definitely ruled out Goldsmiths? And have you heard from Chelsea yet?
    It's nice to hear something positive said about Goldsmiths. It's just all the negative things I've heard that have put me off.
    I haven't ruled it out, and now you've got me interested in it again, haha. It's more that i'm not expecting to get in as I don't think my work fits what they're looking for, but that might just be based on rumours. If I do get in it would be a hard decision between them and Brighton, but Brighton's winning at the moment. I think I'd visit them both again before I made a decision as I want to make sure I'm making the right choice.
    I never heard anything from Chelsea and decided not to pursue it as I already had an offer from Brighton. I think it must be a rejection though.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to hear something positive said about Goldsmiths. It's just all the negative things I've heard that have put me off.
    I haven't ruled it out, and now you've got me interested in it again, haha. It's more that i'm not expecting to get in as I don't think my work fits what they're looking for, but that might just be based on rumours. If I do get in it would be a hard decision between them and Brighton, but Brighton's winning at the moment. I think I'd visit them both again before I made a decision as I want to make sure I'm making the right choice.
    I never heard anything from Chelsea and decided not to pursue it as I already had an offer from Brighton. I think it must be a rejection though.
    I've heard negative things too, but when I went there and saw the studios/facilities and spoke to the students I had a very good feeling about it. It's hard to know, but everyone will have positive and negative experiences of places, so it has to be more about choosing the place that feels right for you, and I think the gut feeling you get about something tends to be right, but it's always a gamble. If they offer you a place then it shows they think you and your work would be suited for the course, so that's a good start!

If you're really keen to live in London then Peckham is a great area for art students at the moment, and just down the road from New Cross.

That's strange about Chelsea, considering you had interviews for all your other choices. I'd say it's definitely worth contacting them about it

ReputationRep:
    I've heard negative things too, but when I went there and saw the studios/facilities and spoke to the students I had a very good feeling about it. It's hard to know, but everyone will have positive and negative experiences of places, so it has to be more about choosing the place that feels right for you, and I think the gut feeling you get about something tends to be right, but it's always a gamble. If they offer you a place then it shows they think you and your work would be suited for the course, so that's a good start!

If you're really keen to live in London then Peckham is a great area for art students at the moment, and just down the road from New Cross.

That's strange about Chelsea, considering you had interviews for all your other choices. I'd say it's definitely worth contacting them about it
    My initial response to Goldsmiths was positive but I just feel like Brighton is more right for me. I might think differently if I get an offer though.
    I'd have to have another look at them both.

It just seems a bit silly to bother Chelsea about not hearing from them if I really have no intention of going there. I'm sure i'll get something through this week.

ReputationRep:
    My initial response to Goldsmiths was positive but I just feel like Brighton is more right for me. I might think differently if I get an offer though.
    I'd have to have another look at them both.

It just seems a bit silly to bother Chelsea about not hearing from them if I really have no intention of going there. I'm sure i'll get something through this week.
    Ah fair enough, I didn't know that you don't want to go there! Well go with your gut feeling because it tends to be right! Try to forget about Slade..

ReputationRep:
    F**k! Just got a rejection from Slade.
    Aww that's a bit ****e. I'm guessing it must be because of the competitiveness of the course. And at least you were offered an interview so don't let it get you down. Where do you have offers from? Just hold on for Goldsmiths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyHoccom)
    Aww that's a bit ****e. I'm guessing it must be because of the competitiveness of the course. And at least you were offered an interview so don't let it get you down. Where do you have offers from? Just hold on for Goldsmiths
    That's what they told me. I don't know whether it's more or less depressing to know that they really like my work and think I'm suited to the course, but just don't have room. (but maybe they say that to everyone, haha)
    I was really considering accepting Brighton, but I was just talking to someone who's there at the moment, but is looking to transfer to Goldsmiths. Now I'm thinking maybe Goldsmiths would be better, but I don't think I'll get in. :/
    Fingers crossed for the both of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyHoccom)
    Haha, everyone's holding out for Goldsmiths - super competitive . Bored of waiting now! So they definitely said to you this week? Did she say it'll come through on UCAS or email letter?

Did you get asked what you would do in your first week of studio time - considering there are no set projects...? Like how you would get started? That's the last question I was asked!

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting for Goldsmiths, guessing it will be next week I hear? Quiet interview, here is my online portfolio (a lot are works in progress that I finished in time for the interview and I took other work as well) https://www.flickr.com/photos/liamdunneart/

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough, I didn't know that you don't want to go there! Well go with your gut feeling because it tends to be right! Try to forget about Slade..
    Yeah, I'll try and put it in the past.
    Isn't your Goldsmiths interview today? Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'll try and put it in the past.
    Isn't your Goldsmiths interview today? Good luck!
    Yeah it is :/ I feel totally unprepared, i came off my bike on sunday and have been in bed since. But my boyfriend is taking me and carrying my portfolio, which is nice of him. Just have to wing it and hope they're not too cruel! What will be will be!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.