Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    making a couple of million, but TBH, I can't think of how you can make over 100k a year <30 years old in any other sector... Maybe dentistry, if you're VERY good and lucky
    Change the variables to £75k+ by 35. Then what? Finance? Management consulting? Actuary? Accounting?

I might go for actuary if I get into a top 10 uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Change the variables to £75k+ by 35. Then what? Finance? Management consulting? Actuary? Accounting?

I might go for actuary if I get into a top 10 uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    75k+ by 35? lol, TBH, thats pretty ****ty in London IMO.
    You can earn that in any of those professions.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MrSupernova)
    Wildly unrealistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are firms that pay that, chambers that pay even more. For it to be wildly unrealistic it would presumably be a 1 in a million sort of shot, as it is you can go online and see that there are a fair number of US firms paying 40k to trainees and 90k plus to NQs, albeit only a handful pay 100k without bonus.

ReputationRep:
    EXACTLY. THAT'S THE BARE BLOODY MINIMUM I COULD TOLERATE IF I WORK HARD. SEE! WTF LOL. Hang on... So, are you indicating that by age 50 you could pretty much earn £100k in those industries I listed? Mate, gimme the whole picture. I am NOT settling for less than what is possible/what I could earn after a certain age. Capping your aspirations to saying "I want £4k+ per month" (£78k+) is a bad thing IMO. More context please? Educate me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I'm 29 and work in the public sector.
    Before I applied for my current jobs I emailed the two people I knew who could be interested and asked if they were going for it. There were more roles than them so I applied.
    I'm on £49,400 with a payrise due in the next couple of months.
    (no family connections at all)

Care to explain your post - I'm confused...
    Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't know what you do in the public sector, but I'm going to stick my neck out and say that unless you are very lucky your job is probably a bit dull.

Do you genuinely look forward to going to work every day?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by insomniacz)
    state expected career and salary please
    Civil service, tax, transport or energy.

Realistically no reason to think I can't pass my mark of success (30k), 50k would be ideal.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, in reality I keep my online presence extremely discreet/secretive, and clean. My Twitter account for example has no opinions, nothing stupid, no media, no swear words, no retorts. All that just to be more employable idegaf. I care that much. I'm going to delete my TSR account one day cos I've written far too much stupid crap on it already, and I have revealed a LOT about myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Before I applied for my current jobs I emailed the two people I knew who could be interested and asked if they were going for it. There were more roles than them so I applied.

Just curious, how did you pull this off? Thought things were quite rough in the public sector, haha. That's not bad at all. Congrats.

Also, there was a document online I think from ONS that has detail on income percentiles. Was genuinely shocked to learn that if you're on 42k+ I think it is then you're in the top 15th percentile or something.

Will link it later but if someone else could Google and post, I think it'd be highly relevant to this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So if 75k+ at 35 is bad in your view, which I mildly agree with, what's achievable at different ages, in London, in your view?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

Btw, I also wanted to say that ~£50k at 30's great tbh. I wish. Nice, especially as you're in the public sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol, in reality I keep my online presence extremely discreet/secretive, and clean. My Twitter account for example has no opinions, nothing stupid, no media, no swear words, no retorts. All that just to be more employable idegaf. I care that much. I'm going to delete my TSR account one day cos I've written far too much stupid crap on it already, and I have revealed a LOT about myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No opinions? Listen to yourself. You are willing to sell everything, your personality, body and soul for cash? Nobody ever says they wished they had earned more money, or kept their opinions to themselves on their death bed. (Unless perhaps they were being executed for heresy, the exception that proves the rule and all that)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Not much. Research sounds like a wonderful career, but I don't think I'll be paid a lot for it since I'm not intending to sell my soul to big oil

75k is about twice the average salary in London so I don't it's that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Cr)
    No opinions? Listen to yourself. You are willing to sell everything, your personality, body and soul for cash? Nobody ever says they wished they had earned more money, or kept their opinions to themselves on their death bed. (Unless perhaps they were being executed for heresy, the exception that proves the rule and all that)
    Well I AM that willing. You saying that actually put a smile to my face; it shows, for example, that I am indeed directing myself in the right direction, doing what actually does exclusively help me get to my monetary goals. My interests are all aligned to money. That's good. Thanks for that. I take that as a compliment in one way lol.

Money's fantastic up to a certain point.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ATM I'd be lucky to land a 10k job. After uni ill be aiming for about 29k minimum 25k. That's what I'll be initially hoping for but I'd have to settle for less short term if the economy is bad I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Not much. Research sounds like a wonderful career, but I don't think I'll be paid a lot for it since I'm not intending to sell my soul to big oil

75k is about twice the average salary in London so I don't it's that bad.
    You're very bright. Much, much brighter than me. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You're very bright. Much, much brighter than me. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Best of luck to you too. And I wouldn't judge the brightness of a random stranger over the internet purely on the basis of their grades, but thanks anyway :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Just curious, how did you pull this off? Thought things were quite rough in the public sector, haha. That's not bad at all. Congrats.

Also, there was a document online I think from ONS that has detail on income percentiles. Was genuinely shocked to learn that if you're on 42k+ I think it is then you're in the top 15th percentile or something.

Will link it later but if someone else could Google and post, I think it'd be highly relevant to this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://faststream.civilservice.gov.uk/

'Fast stream' is called 'fast' for a reason

Yes, although many of us have pointed that out before on here.

ReputationRep:
    Well I AM that willing. You saying that actually put a smile to my face; it shows, for example, that I am indeed directing myself in the right direction, doing what actually does exclusively help me get to my monetary goals. My interests are all aligned to money. That's good. Thanks for that. I take that as a compliment in one way lol.

Money's fantastic up to a certain point.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well then good luck to you my friend What do you actually want this money for? In my experience rich people are not any happier, they are just miserable in a bigger house (which they are still usually convinced isn't quite big enough). They are usually eaten up with stress if they work a high flying job, or bored if they don't have to work, and are bitterly envious to others who they perceive as having more money than them. Most people on the planet live perfectly happy lives on a few thousand pounds a year, if that.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, I also wanted to say that ~£50k at 30's great tbh. I wish. Nice, especially as you're in the public sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yet you think £75k at 35 is pretty poor in London

ReputationRep:
    Considering the average salary for London is £35k and for those who have 10-19 years experience in the UK is £37k, anyone earning £75k by the time they are 35 is doing very well...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.