Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At what point in the process do you submit a CV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faustocoppi)
    I submitted applications for GFS and D&T Fast Stream Schemes. They didn’t ask for CV to upload anywhere!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks. Was wondering if I should perfect mine before starting the application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vrstar)
    Congrats! I originally received messages saying I was successful for stats but unsuccessful for OR, but I've just received another message apologising for the mistake and that I haven't been unsuccessful for OR and I am now back to 'awaiting results'. Strange really but I'm not complaining
    When is the OR open day? Just so I know how long I could be waiting until I find out for definite if I've made it to he AC or not.
    Oh wow, at least it was that way and not the other way round

Congrats on your success for Stats though.. and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Very few of these online multi step applications ask for CV's because they don't just want to see a list of what you've done, they want to see if you can apply your brain!

ReputationRep:
    I should be taking part in a public sector panel in the next couple of weeks, I'll see if there's any useful information from the presentation that I'll be giving that is more informative than what I already know.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vrstar)
    Congrats! I originally received messages saying I was successful for stats but unsuccessful for OR, but I've just received another message apologising for the mistake and that I haven't been unsuccessful for OR and I am now back to 'awaiting results'. Strange really but I'm not complaining
    When is the OR open day? Just so I know how long I could be waiting until I find out for definite if I've made it to he AC or not.
    End of October, when is the stats one? What does it involve? :holmes:

Best of luck!

If at the end of this whole thing I have to submit a CV (which is extremely unlikely) I think I will spit feathers!

ReputationRep:
    I have yet more problems with this application... I haven't seen anyone mention it here though, so presumably no-one else found a problem with it.

On the application form, under the postgrad project section, it asks for ideas. What does that mean? Is that the ideas you've come up with toward the project? What qualifies as an idea? There were many decisions to make, but I wouldn't describe them as ideas. For my project I was told what we needed to study, and we met up and discussed what to do next. All ideas as to what to try are collaborative. And I don't see how it can be relevant to the application. Unless they have an expert in that field on the recruiting panel, how are they going to know whether that idea was wise or not? How are they going to know the circumstances under which that idea was suggested?

I emailed the help email thing, and all they've responded with is 'In these sections you need to put down what you feel is relevant as we are unable to advise you on this.' How am I supposed to know what's relevant if I don't know what the question is?

I'm never very good at application forms, so if anyone can advise on what I'm supposed to be answering, I would really appreciate it.

Another problem is under the 1st degree subjects listing. Some topics have the vague name 'Physics A' and if they're not familiar with the course, then that will mean nothing to them. So, then, do you put topics instead? But then you have the issue that in first year you study Matrices, but it's not until second year that you study diagonalisation so do you need to write detailed lists of sub topics?

Again, I messaged for help, but they told me 'You can put as much or as little detail as you want to in the section' which is entirely unhelpful. If I knew what they were looking for I could judge what information to write, but they refuse to tell me. Presumably it's so they can compare people with the same degree but with different options, or the same course but from different universities, but the problem persists. We may both study Matrices but perhaps our course is much deeper/ shallower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomato_Soup1992)
    Another problem is under the 1st degree subjects listing. Some topics have the vague name 'Physics A' and if they're not familiar with the course, then that will mean nothing to them. So, then, do you put topics instead? But then you have the issue that in first year you study Matrices, but it's not until second year that you study diagonalisation so do you need to write detailed lists of sub topics?

Again, I messaged for help, but they told me 'You can put as much or as little detail as you want to in the section' which is entirely unhelpful. If I knew what they were looking for I could judge what information to write, but they refuse to tell me. Presumably it's so they can compare people with the same degree but with different options, or the same course but from different universities, but the problem persists. We may both study Matrices but perhaps our course is much deeper/ shallower.
    Hi, I can't help you with your first question, but I can tell you my experience for the second one. I studied abroad, so my module titles were not in English, so I just put the original French title and then either a translation (in the case of simple ones) or a short explanation of the content. It just seemed to be the logical thing to do in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I did FSAC last year and to be honest I wouldn't get too hung up on the application form. From my experience of the FSAC last year and filling in the application form, I wasn't asked in my interview about anything I had written on my form. It was all competency based, where I was asked to give an experience that would show how I met each competency; this allowed me to bring up things I had written on the application form but I'm not even sure the person interviewing me had even seen the form. This was not mentioned on my feedback either. Perhaps it's a different story if successful or attending a Final Selection Board, I'm not sure! I just gave enough information so they would know what I had studied in a broad sense and what my project covered. I tried to touch both bases in terms of explaining about my postgrad project - a general explanation of what I was researching and what I concluded, but also what I learned from it and what skills I took from it.

The FSAC and the application form seem to be geared towards finding out your ability to apply your skills and knowledge to real situations and the assessors on the day don't know much about you outside of what they see on the day, perhaps the form is a means of making sure you meet the required degree classification criteria and indeed the language criteria etc.

I would say give as much information so they know what you studied but don't lose sleep over it!

I have yet more problems with this application... I haven't seen anyone mention it here though, so presumably no-one else found a problem with it.

On the application form, under the postgrad project section, it asks for ideas. What does that mean? Is that the ideas you've come up with toward the project? What qualifies as an idea? There were many decisions to make, but I wouldn't describe them as ideas. For my project I was told what we needed to study, and we met up and discussed what to do next. All ideas as to what to try are collaborative. And I don't see how it can be relevant to the application. Unless they have an expert in that field on the recruiting panel, how are they going to know whether that idea was wise or not? How are they going to know the circumstances under which that idea was suggested?

I emailed the help email thing, and all they've responded with is 'In these sections you need to put down what you feel is relevant as we are unable to advise you on this.' How am I supposed to know what's relevant if I don't know what the question is?

I'm never very good at application forms, so if anyone can advise on what I'm supposed to be answering, I would really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am satisfied how I performed in e-tray, even more satisfied than my performance during online selection tests. Still, I am worried regarding e-tray outcomes. Was e-tray easier than online selection tests, according to your experience?

(Original post by udum)
    Hi, I did FSAC last year and to be honest I wouldn't get too hung up on the application form. From my experience of the FSAC last year and filling in the application form, I wasn't asked in my interview about anything I had written on my form. It was all competency based, where I was asked to give an experience that would show how I met each competency; this allowed me to bring up things I had written on the application form but I'm not even sure the person interviewing me had even seen the form. This was not mentioned on my feedback either. Perhaps it's a different story if successful or attending a Final Selection Board, I'm not sure! I just gave enough information so they would know what I had studied in a broad sense and what my project covered. I tried to touch both bases in terms of explaining about my postgrad project - a general explanation of what I was researching and what I concluded, but also what I learned from it and what skills I took from it.

The FSAC and the application form seem to be geared towards finding out your ability to apply your skills and knowledge to real situations and the assessors on the day don't know much about you outside of what they see on the day, perhaps the form is a means of making sure you meet the required degree classification criteria and indeed the language criteria etc.

I would say give as much information so they know what you studied but don't lose sleep over it!

ReputationRep:
    E-Tray was definitely a lot more interesting as I'm sure you found, but no easier or harder than the online selection tests I wouldn't say! I'm really glad you were pleased with your responses - also don't forget that your written answers to Task 2 form part of your Assessment Centre mark! I didn't realise this and ran out of time - which cost me points!

ReputationRep:
    Hi All!

Just wondering if anyone has heard back about GES applications? I've completed the online tests and application form but still awaiting results to see if I am invited to the EAC. From the previous posts I gather I've been amber-banded, I'm so anxious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by udum)
    E-Tray was definitely a lot more interesting as I'm sure you found, but no easier or harder than the online selection tests I wouldn't say! I'm really glad you were pleased with your responses - also don't forget that your written answers to Task 2 form part of your Assessment Centre mark! I didn't realise this and ran out of time - which cost me points!
    Thanks for your response! After your message I am satisfied enough to get through FSAC.

Regarding my written response, I am under the same condition as you were last year. I couldn't finalise the document. But: I believe it was written and responded in good English. I am satisfied with the choice of words. I especially quoted press clipping in my response.

By the way, thanks for your great help.

Sincerely,
    Shahbaz Ahmad!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

On the application form, under the postgrad project section, it asks for ideas. What does that mean? Is that the ideas you've come up with toward the project? What qualifies as an idea? There were many decisions to make, but I wouldn't describe them as ideas. For my project I was told what we needed to study, and we met up and discussed what to do next. All ideas as to what to try are collaborative. And I don't see how it can be relevant to the application. Unless they have an expert in that field on the recruiting panel, how are they going to know whether that idea was wise or not? How are they going to know the circumstances under which that idea was suggested? ....

You're overthinking it. The form gives you the chance to say more if you want to. The application form is more of a formality and will not be assessed or used to sift.
    Some people however might have worked on research areas they are very committed to and want to continue working on in future. In such a case, this is a good place to voice that.
    Or you might have discovered something through a dissertation, about yourself or your subject. Again you can mention if you wish to do so but it won't hurt you if you have nothing to say here.

With undergrad modules, it's okay just to list them.

Ultimately the only time that these sections *might* be perused is in role matching which only takes place late in the process after a person is successful for the fast stream. And again, this is only a *might* as other development parameters take priority in role matching i.e. learning how to manage people will take priority over whether or not you like to work with community agencies. However, should you be really keen to work with community agencies, it will be something you can discuss with your placement manager if and when you get on the fast stream.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation on my application form & would strongly suggest that you use the STAR technique to answer that part by stressing what your definite role was in the collaborative project and what results were achieved.Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Tomato_Soup1992;50997365]I have yet more problems with this application... I haven't seen anyone mention it here though, so presumably no-one else found a problem with it.

I was in a similar situation on my application form & would strongly suggest that you use the STAR technique to answer that part by stressing what your definite role was in the collaborative project and what results were achieved.Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad)
    Yes! It's same for everyone. You shall get your results before 28.10.14 midnight, anytime.
    Where does this date come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat.lev)
    Where does this date come from?
    Did you complete your e-tray? Really can't wait until 28.10.2014.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.