Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE Results: Retake and Remark information - 21 August 2014 Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just had my GCSE OCR Geography SDME paper remark results, was 1 UMS off an A and got it !!!! Very pleased. But seriously annoyed they couldn't get it right the first time. Out of all my exams this paper I thought was my best and should have been a definite A* it turned out to be a D before I had it remarked!! Now dreading the mistakes they could make with my AS levels!!

ReputationRep:
    WOOO, my english language went up to an A* !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IhateMichealGove)
    WOOO, my english language went up to an A* !
    Congratulations! What exam board?

ReputationRep:
    AQA 😀. Took forever though

ReputationRep:
    I think all remark should be all back but I haven't received mine yet :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChengSter123)
    I think all remark should be all back but I haven't received mine yet :confused:
    Yep same here ive been waiting over 2 months now for my Literature remark yet STILL it hasnt come back...

ReputationRep:
    Finally came 3 months after results day!! Literature Unit 2 went from 55 to 65 and Unit 1 went from 66 to 80!!! Overall went from mid A (169 UMS) to Strong A* (193 UMS) !!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am new to this thread but need answers to a few questions. My son collected his certificates recently and noticed his English Lit had gone down from an C to a D. On his statement he had a C but on his certificate it was a D. I contacted his school today to be told that they'd re-submitted his papers to be remarked as he was only 2 points off a B. The board now have retuned his papers and he is now 10 points off a C! How can this be? Plus, can the school remark papers without asking parents? To be honest, my son and I were happy with his results as he struggled in school and we were both elevated when he had passed and now he feels conned out of this because the school have done this. Surely the school needs to have our permission? When I mentioned to the teacher that we had not been informed he told me I should have received a letter but knowing the school and the problems I have ahd in the past, I very much doubt that a letter was sent out to me.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Shazzor)
    Hi, I am new to this thread but need answers to a few questions. My son collected his certificates recently and noticed his English Lit had gone down from an C to a D. On his statement he had a C but on his certificate it was a D. I contacted his school today to be told that they'd re-submitted his papers to be remarked as he was only 2 points off a B. The board now have retuned his papers and he is now 10 points off a C!
    Hi,

Firstly, I am sorry to hear that.

How can this be?
    Unfortunately, it is also possible for marks to go down after remarks and although it is rare for marks to decrease by that much, it is not impossible.

Plus, can the school remark papers without asking parents? To be honest, my son and I were happy with his results as he struggled in school and we were both elevated when he had passed and now he feels conned out of this because the school have done this. Surely the school needs to have our permission? When I mentioned to the teacher that we had not been informed he told me I should have received a letter but knowing the school and the problems I have ahd in the past, I very much doubt that a letter was sent out to me.
    Have a look at the JCQ booklet here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/p...-november-2014 (you'll need a pdf viewer).

If you scroll down to 6.2.1 under Candidate Consent, it says:

Centres must obtain written candidate consent for clerical checks and post-results
    reviews of marking, as with these services candidates’ marks and subject grades
    may be lowered.

• Candidates must be informed of this possible outcome and provide their written consent
    before an application is submitted.
    (A suggested form for centres to use is included as Appendix A, page 17.
    Written consent from the candidate is also acceptable by e-mail.)
    • Consent forms or e-mails from candidates must be retained by the centre and kept for at
    least six months following the outcome of the enquiry about results or any subsequent
    appeal.
    • An on-line application carries with it confirmation to the awarding body that the candidate’s
    written consent has been obtained.
    (The submission of a signed application form does likewise.)
    According to the above, the school should still have a consent form if one was signed. I'd perhaps bring this up if you can and see what happens from there.

ReputationRep:
    I did my GCSE's in 2008 but after 7 years of working I want to go back to college, I am 3 gcse's C+ away from the course I want. Will I be able to retake them or is there a time frame?
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Regrets92)
    I did my GCSE's in 2008 but after 7 years of working I want to go back to college, I am 3 gcse's C+ away from the course I want. Will I be able to retake them or is there a time frame?
    You can still 'retake' provided you can find somewhere that will let you sit exams and it may be a different spec now.

ReputationRep:
    ok so if i did fail my second time entry for AS , i can still use my first time entry AS results? ( my first time entry was in June 2014 and i retook in June 2015) ill be sitting for my A2 oct 2015 so does it mean i can still use my june 2014 AS to continue A2 in oct 2015 DESPITE retaking AS in June 2015, i really do not want to use my june 2015 AS results i KNOW im gonna fail badly ((

ReputationRep:
    hiya. This is exactly what I needed. I got my results for GCSE and got 9A*s and a B. I was gutted with the B in Eng Lang AQA because that's always been my strongest subject. Now I found out I missed the grade A by one mark. ONE!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if you send a paper to be remarked do you know how long it will take to find out the new result? If anyone knows please let me know I need to find out asap! Thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A overall in AQA Drama GCSE and I got 268 overall I think this is out of 300 and 270/300 is an A* so should I get it remarked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martha335)
    Hi, if you send a paper to be remarked do you know how long it will take to find out the new result? If anyone knows please let me know I need to find out asap! Thankyou.
    When I had my AQA History paper remarked last year it took between 1-2 weeks so they do it fairly quickly!
    • Study Helper

This is last year's thread so I'm closing it. You can find this year's thread with updated information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3494695 :yy:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.