Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am glad I have never experienced being poor, but I feel I would not have enjoyed being rich either because when I moved away from my parents my financial situation got worse but I felt a lot less stressed out. Without my parents around I learned that more money does not relieve stress, you only really need enough to get by. I remember having a job and thus having a little surplus to spend on myself for a while. It just sat in my bank account gradually dwindling on necessary things because I just wasn't interested in it and couldn't be bothered even trying to think of something to spend it on. My room is very bare, just basic furniture and a few clothes and I find that very relaxing. It comforts me and makes me feel nice inside knowing I don't have much, but still have the necessities I need to get by. To me, having things is a headache. I remember a few years back as my possessions were gradually dwindling (breaking, getting old and non-functional, so-on) and being relieved that I had fewer things to worry about and that my living space looked more empty and clean and free.

My parents don't like me talking about their financial situation so I won't go into the details of what they have or don't have. Let's just say there have been some downs, some ups, but never to any extreme.

If I had money, one thing I would get is private healthcare. I hate being sick and only getting one or two diagnostic appointments per year... and then not finding the cause of the symptoms after all that wait.

ReputationRep:
    2007. Living on old sofa cushions outside in the yard for 2 days after we fell so badly in debt, we had to sell the house and had nowhere to go.

2012. Being handed my £30,000 bar bill and signing it off on the VIP tab with a shrug at a 5 star beach resort in Dubai.

Rags to riches eh. Well, that was the peak of what I had in my life - I'm not nearly as privileged now, but working back up to it - slowly and surely. But it'll be a long time until I'm back there again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    I went to a state school but in an affluent area so everyone was pretty much the same, and we had a few millionaires. So obviously I just felt "normal" compared to everyone, as I seemed to be bang in the middle. Some mean chavs did call me posh though :lol: But yeah most people were well off so it wasn't really obvious
    Did you live in London or the South East.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    2007. Living on old sofa cushions outside in the yard for 2 days after we fell so badly in debt, we had to sell the house and had nowhere to go.

2012. Being handed my £30,000 bar bill and signing it off on the VIP tab with a shrug at a 5 star beach resort in Dubai.

Rags to riches eh. Well, that was the peak of what I had in my life - I'm not nearly as privileged now, but working back up to it - slowly and surely. But it'll be a long time until I'm back there again.
    £30000?? That's a long night

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    £30000?? That's a long night

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I started drinking at about 11am
    Left the bar at 3am.

Don't forget there was champagne, lobster, oysters and truffles to pump up the majority of that bill! I didn't intentionally start drinking at 11 though - I ordered a "Virgin Mojito" (a mojito without alcohol) but they just brought me a regular one. So I figured, oh what the hell, why not. It's hardly a porter!

ReputationRep:
    There are some things in my life which would probably cause people to think I have well-off parents, but together they earn below the national average.

Being an only child is socially maladjusting but it has its perks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Idc what class/sex/race you are, don't be a ****
    Resenting the rich is sort of understandable though, is it not? I'm not saying it's acceptable to dismiss people based on things they don't choose, and I know not every rich person is like the horrendous git who I had to live with in my first year of uni, but with things like having an education paid for you, trust funds, and living in a house with your own pool, I think it's a pretty natural reaction really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesTheCool)
    Resenting the rich is sort of understandable though, is it not? I'm not saying it's acceptable to hate people based on things they don't choose, and I know not every rich person is like the horrendous flatmate I had in first year, but with things like private education, trust funds and being raised in a million pound home with your own ****ing pool, I think it's a pretty natural reaction really...
    I don't think so, but I guess everyone is different. I've been very poor my entire life but I've never resented someone for having more than me, I've only resented people for how they behave and treat others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I don't think so, but I guess everyone is different. I've been very poor my entire life but I've never resented someone for having more than me, I've only resented people for how they behave and treat others.
    True, but coming from a rich family does commonly lead to becoming an annoying rah...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesTheCool)
    True, but coming from a rich family very often does lead to being a horrendous rah...
    Maybe it does, but I'd rather find out to see if they're a **** person than automatically assume they are and resent them in the basis of their income,

ReputationRep:
    2002 - The original Xbox had come out with a price of £450. This was in March. 3 weeks later I came home to find the console, numerous games and a Steering Wheel in the living room. Must have equated to around £750.

I never noticed back then but I look back and think "Christ, we used to be ridiculously well off"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    I started drinking at about 11am
    Left the bar at 3am.

Don't forget there was champagne, lobster, oysters and truffles to pump up the majority of that bill! I didn't intentionally start drinking at 11 though - I ordered a "Virgin Mojito" (a mojito without alcohol) but they just brought me a regular one. So I figured, oh what the hell, why not. It's hardly a porter!
    Not meaning to sound jealous, but I could have a lot more fun than that for £30,000. That's a lot of Thorpe park tickets.

ReputationRep:
    Dad would never give me money when going out. I thought we were poor, but now realised he was a tight asian dad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Not meaning to sound jealous, but I could have a lot more fun than that for £30,000. That's a lot of Thorpe park tickets.
    It is! Would have been much more awesome!

The best night of my life in my time there was my 18th birthday - It probably cost about £600. Cigars, poker, good drinks, a chef on the barbie, all sitting out in the garden by the sea, best night ever. In experience terms, much better than that night at Barasti - even if I did have sex for the first time!

Bear in mind, money wasn't really much of an object in those days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Get a Merlin Card.

I just saved you £29,831.

ReputationRep:
    when a girl in my form class says she doesnt have dinner at home and her main meal is the free meal she gets at school

ReputationRep:
    Excitedly eating jelly through a straw and conceiving of it as being something of a luxury/special event! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Going to uni in England was definitely an eye-opener for me.

One of the first examples was a friend vehemently insisting that it would be impossible to live on 23k a year (in a discussion about career options). He then refused to believe me when I told him the UK median salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    Going to uni in England was definitely an eye-opener for me.

One of the first examples was a friend vehemently insisting that it would be impossible to live on 23k a year (in a discussion about career options). He then refused to believe me when I told him the UK median salary.
    Lol living on 23k without any dependants is a piece of piss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Lol living on 23k without any dependants is a piece of piss
    Well, the subtext was 'not if you want kids and an upper-middle-class lifestyle in London' :rolleyes: The frustration was that there was just an inability or unwillingness to consider how people outside of their social set (i.e. most of the country) live their lives, and that generally it isn't actually terrible. It was just incomprehensible to him. Another gem (from someone else) was 'everyone in London has a Polish cleaner'.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.