Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Liverpool FC Thread XII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    he has played there for the off game in the past but never on a consistent basis.
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    I was also considering using Gerrard as a CB. He pretty much plays as one when the team are in possession nowadays anyway. He can also get forward and be involved with the play, which means one man to pick up that they were not initially meant to pick up. It ends up being a bit more attacking as the wing backs are very high up but with the squad you have it would be great against fodder opposition.

Then if you use 3 natural CBs it can serve well for rotational purposes.
    isn't that essentially how we play when using the diamond. People are talking about the 3-5-2 as if it's so much different to how we would normally play anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    isn't that essentially how we play when using the diamond. People are talking about the 3-5-2 as if it's so much different to how we would normally play anyway.
    Yeah that is how you play in possession, a lopsided 3-4-3. Depending on the side used by the striker who generally drifts out wide while the winger/striker moves a bit infield. Makes you a bit suspect defensively on that side too.

Gerrard is a half back atm anyway but he surely can learn a bit of the positioning aspect of the game even at such an old age, plus anyway the main strength of the formation is that Gerrard can burst forward meaning it's hard to man mark him so he can just playmake.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting developments. I wonder how he will be disciplined.

ReputationRep:
    Should be 5*s on Fifa at least now, team full of 80s except RB maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yesss I diddd)
    Will Moreno be an 80 yet?

I'm looking forward to play football manager with this Liverpool team, I reckon I could get them playing perfect football
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cBay)

I'm looking forward to play football manager with this Liverpool team, I reckon I could get them playing perfect football
    Same, mate.

First thing I'll do on FM when I get it is ship out Johnson and the rest of the deadwood and then I'll get to work trying to win the league.

ReputationRep:
    £16mil and 90k a week isn't terrible for Balotelli considering his age and football reputation. It's still a risk due to his personality and erratic behaviour but even semi-proven players are selling for 10-15mil whereas Balotelli seems to have some natural talent too.

I can see where he fits in to the squad and what he adds. I'd still rather keep Borini unless we sign another striker/winger..

ReputationRep:
    does a team full of 80s cut it as 5 star on FIFA?
    technically we are a 5 star team, just depends on how FIFA rate our individual players i guess.

(Original post by cBay)

he did win the europa leeague last year, so i would expect him to definitely be high 70s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)

Sterling went from 69 to 76 in a mid season update so I don't think they're afraid of boosting players. But yeah maybe he'd be high 70s. Manquillo and Flanagan both probably 75ish I'm guessing so it might be another season of Johnson being our best RB on Fifa.
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    does a team full of 80s cut it as 5 star on FIFA?
    technically we are a 5 star team, just depends on how FIFA rate our individual players i guess.
    team of straight 80s is 5* material yeah.

I think Dortmund's second consecutive title winning team of 2 years ago were probably the best team not to get 5* and they had low 80s in the front three and CBs, with high 70s fullback and CMs. They didn't have any star players though iirc no-one over 83/84 and Weidenfeller wasn't so good for them back then either.

Touch and go but I reckon we'll be 5 this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    £16mil and 90k a week isn't terrible for Balotelli considering his age and football reputation.
    It's a ****ing snip.

Value for money this is an amazing signing.

Issue is Balo's mentality but that's typical of FSG and moneyball

ReputationRep:
    Goal.com and other places still reporting an interest in Eto'o. Saying we've offered him one year at 75k+bonuses

****ing hell

Wonder if there'll be anything in the half 10 news

ReputationRep:
    It's a ****ing snip.

Value for money this is an amazing signing.

Issue is Balo's mentality but that's typical of FSG and moneyball
    I think it's less about moneyball and more about the limited number of players available (for that striker role).

ReputationRep:
    Eto'o was fantastic at Barca but those years are long gone.

He'd be good in FA/Capital One Cup games with important league fixtures either side but he's hardly starting XI material now.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Sterling went from 69 to 76 in a mid season update so I don't think they're afraid of boosting players. But yeah maybe he'd be high 70s. Manquillo and Flanagan both probably 75ish I'm guessing so it might be another season of Johnson being our best RB on Fifa.

team of straight 80s is 5* material yeah.

I think Dortmund's second consecutive title winning team of 2 years ago were probably the best team not to get 5* and they had low 80s in the front three and CBs, with high 70s fullback and CMs. They didn't have any star players though iirc no-one over 83/84 and Weidenfeller wasn't so good for them back then either.

Touch and go but I reckon we'll be 5 this year
    sterling is gonna be goat on fifa 15 - most likely 80 overall at only 19.

from our first team:
    mignolet, skrtel, lovren, gerrard, henderson, coutinho, sterling, sturridge (balotelli) should all be 80+ (i'll be pissed if any of those 8 (9) aren't at that level).
    our fullbacks will be high 70s
    i don't know how we can't be a 5 star team since that will clearly average 80 or above.

imo there should be four 5 star teams in england on FIFA 15, and united shouldn't be one of them
    it isn't really a big deal, but i can just imaging united somehow being 5 star and liverpool somehow still only being 4.5

ReputationRep:
    I think it's less about moneyball and more about the limited number of players available (for that striker role).
    They could easily have moved for Bony or Eto'o who are proven in this league or the likes of Volland, Firmino, Son, Lacazette from abroad

He's being signed because he's potentially incredible but is at a very cheap price (for whatever reason).

ReputationRep:
    They could easily have moved for Bony or Eto'o who are proven in this league or the likes of Volland, Firmino, Son, Lacazette from abroad

He's being signed because he's potentially incredible but is at a very cheap price (for whatever reason).
    Bony can only play number 9 which doesn't fit.
    Eto'o didn't quite do it for Chelsea last season so I don't see why he would do any better for us?

The others are all young and unproven - no different to us signing Origi for next season.

He's been signed because out of all the limited options out there, he'd be the most cost effective compared to potential output.

ReputationRep:
    Bony can only play number 9 which doesn't fit.
    Eto'o didn't quite do it for Chelsea last season so I don't see why he would do any better for us?

The others are all young and unproven - no different to us signing Origi for next season.

He's been signed because out of all the limited options out there, he'd be the most cost effective compared to potential output.
    Well we're in the market for a striker, as you can see with the links to Falcao.
    Eto'o's goals and goals/assists per 90 were excellent last year, and why not ask 'if Sturridge couldn't do it there why is he doing it for us?'

Lol, your summary sentence contradicts the one before

ReputationRep:
    Well we're in the market for a striker, as you can see with the links to Falcao.
    Eto'o's goals and goals/assists per 90 were excellent last year, and why not ask 'if Sturridge couldn't do it there why is he doing it for us?'

Lol, your summary sentence contradicts the one before
    Sturridge is a completely different situation to Eto'o. Eto'o played games in his preferred position because while he wasn't a big money signing, he was a big name signing and Mourinho's choice. Sturridge wasn't. AVB played him on the wing because he knew he had a quality player and Drogba+Torres were always going to play above him that season. Torres needing time e.g. to prove his worth(even though he is worthless) and Drogba being Drogba.

Eto'o would do well as a second striker but he now lacks the pace to get past defensive lines, so he almost acts as a false 9. He's good good link up play and Hazard tended to do better when he was the striker as he could feed off him.

The only issue Eto'o has is that he's no longer good enough to be the main striker, but he's more than good enough as a 2nd striker.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.