ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazoula)
    I am directly copy pasting Plymouth's answer to me this year:

Medicine GAMSAT Cut off
    Section 1 - 56
    Section 2 - 52
    Section 3 - 54
    Overall - 65

So again not sure since the overall 65 is mentioned ...

Exeter's mail had said minimum 59 overall - so you are right, may have just missed that one but definitely double check... Good luck with it all...
    See here

http://www.gamsat.co.uk/news-article...ff-Scores.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazoula)
    I think you've got good enough grades for exeter and plymouth - check with them if you'd consider those unis?

I'm sure that those uni's are great if you have a spare £45k to drop (not including living costs)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuronerd)
    I'm sure that those uni's are great if you have a spare £45k to drop (not including living costs)...
    It's £36K, not £45K. Stop spreading misinformation!

ReputationRep:
    I wish the funding will hurry up and be announced!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the date that funding for 2015 entry was confirmed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    I wish the funding will hurry up and be announced!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On the Nottingham open day this year, a few people asked about what would happen with the funding and whether the courses would be cut etc. The admissions tutor said that he didn't know, but if he had to guess, he would say it would probably stay the same. Fingers crossed he's right!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi is anyone else practising ozimed papers for gamsat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tough2)
    Hi is anyone else practising ozimed papers for gamsat?
    I have papers 1-10 but I am only beginning revision so I am probably some way off actually using them. Are they any good?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder with this new Tory government and their cry of 'chronic doctor shortages' and plans of implementing a 7 day service for more areas whether this will open up more med school places.

It's not something I've really looked into before, but do politicians walk the walk with this kind of talk? If Cameron wants to create thousands of new GPs he's going to have to get those people from somewhere. Coupled with an off putting 7 day working GP week (potentially) changing peoples views of heading down that career path there surely needs to be some kind of action...

It will be interesting to see the future of GEM... Sure you will get a faster turnaround on students who are GMC registered once their 5 year course is completed, but will the loss of all students from GEM courses across the country negate this?

Just some stupid thoughts crossing my mind...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    I wonder with this new Tory government and their cry of 'chronic doctor shortages' and plans of implementing a 7 day service for more areas whether this will open up more med school places.

It's not something I've really looked into before, but do politicians walk the walk with this kind of talk? If Cameron wants to create thousands of new GPs he's going to have to get those people from somewhere. Coupled with an off putting 7 day working GP week (potentially) changing peoples views of heading down that career path there surely needs to be some kind of action...

It will be interesting to see the future of GEM... Sure you will get a faster turnaround on students who are GMC registered once their 5 year course is completed, but will the loss of all students from GEM courses across the country negate this?

Doubt it. It takes 9-11 years to train a GP from scratch, while the government needs an influx of GPs now to deliver on their manifesto promises. The FP is oversubscribed every year anyway, so without a reform of that all more med school places would mean is higher rates of oversubscription and not more doctors.

Doctors/nurses/AHPs I spoke to on my work experience were all very sceptical of the claims of x amount of new GPs and y amount of new nurses, and thought that expanding GP services to 7 day at time when GPs are already so stretched is untenable.

Not sure how it'll affect GEM courses, the Shape of Training review could have a large hand in their future though.

I'm a little concerned myself, but I've learned that a lot of what politicians say and promise is purely electioneering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)

First thoughts are to stretch current staff levels to create 7 day services, but this will burn the whole NHS out very quickly.
    As mentioned the lag time in training doctors would mean they could not fill those positions for quite a while by simply increasing training numbers.

To get an immediate influx of doctors we would need to look to recruiting from outside the UK. As we already do in huge recruitment drives with nursing and paramedics.
    There is already a push to open more space for international medical students and if talks to remove the foundation programme are successful IMGs will be more able to enter the profession in the UK.

GEM numbers only make up about 10% - 15% of medical graduates per cohort.

ReputationRep:
    Ben,

If it is not too late, I would like to join your study group.

Thanks,

Sheila

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Es0phagus)
    I have papers 1-10 but I am only beginning revision so I am probably some way off actually using them. Are they any good?
    Well they seem to be good practice, have you done the first test Yet?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to do from 1st test ozimed papers section 3 Q 84?

ReputationRep:
    Can postgraduates apply for a student finance loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess271)
    Can postgraduates apply for a student finance loan?
    Yes, but you don't get as much...you can get a fees loan for £5655 ish (you have to self fund the first £3450ish of your fees in the first year, after that he nhs pays it) and then a maintenance loan of up to £5740. No maintenance grant as far as I'm aware. That goes down after 1st year to about £2300, but you can then apply for an nhs bursary. You get £1000 automatically, and then there's a means tested bit on top which also takes into account the number of week you're at uni, up to a max of about £3000 I think? Check out money4medstudents, they have a really good breakdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am a second year student midwife, hoping to become a doctor. It is going to hard, I dont have much familiy support, but I want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I was suprised to read this:
    'so we will not insist on excellent A-levels or an outstanding first degree result (though we would normally expect two science A-levels and a 2:i or better, or a GPA above 3.5)'
    http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...ction-criteria

ReputationRep:
    interesting. But then I guess the quality of applicants to Oxford imposes an unspoken cutoff anyway. If there are lots of applicants with pristine records, it doesnt matter how low the actual cutoff is

ReputationRep:
    "We hope to broaden the entry criteria to include other graduates within the next few years" is interesting too, most places seem to be going the opposite way

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.