Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marina-B)
    I literally wrote about the same thing, I thought the poems where talking about how technology/modern life has ruined our society thus we take things such as the beauty of nature for granted.
    ^^^^ exactly what i wrote! I was so worried I'd done it all wrong

ReputationRep:
    Hey I wrote about how the lilacs were flowers and the gave hope to the place or whatever because of the darkness.. i don't even know, is that right though (to say the lilacs are flowers)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10studentlife)
    Have you looked at the winter papers also?
    They don't seem to be on the website? It could just be me being blind, but the only unit 2a ones (the ones with AAB on) that I can see are the three above.

I'm probably missing something though :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie2267)
    They don't seem to be on the website? It could just be me being blind, but the only unit 2a ones (the ones with AAB on) that I can see are the three above.

That's weird I just looked and could only find the foundation teer for some .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcticNeighbour)
    Not having the bullet points sucked but to be honest I don't think there's much that your school can do by emailing them to be honest. It was included in the new spec and in the examiners report from Jan it said the bullet points were removed from higher. I think I did alright on of mice and men because I had a gut feeling that Candy would come up but I didn't like the extract or the poetry at all.
    The grade boundries are damn high. How do you think you did?
    yeah but my school didn't know this and im sure others didnt, so (sounds harsh but) other schools may have done badly on the paper so the grade boundaries are lower. i think i could have done better on OMAM but i still did ok i think, i enjoyed the poetry. im normally toss at it but i could write loads about these ones! Good thing is for poetry you can write what you want and as long as you back it up its worthy of credit

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am, I'm assuming you are too? I did unit 3 today (religion and morality) and I'm doing unit 4 after half term
    yeah thats the one i did, we arent doing one after half term tho, we did one last wednesday about matters of life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franm1)
    yeah but my school didn't know this and im sure others didnt, so (sounds harsh but) other schools may have done badly on the paper so the grade boundaries are lower. i think i could have done better on OMAM but i still did ok i think, i enjoyed the poetry. im normally toss at it but i could write loads about these ones! Good thing is for poetry you can write what you want and as long as you back it up its worthy of credit
    My school did not know about the points either and all of the teachers were so angry. They said it would be a good thing though beacuse the grade boundaries would be lowered

ReputationRep:
    This one was too hard, 20/50 for an A* please WJEC!
    Ha Ha that would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie2267)

I don't think there are winter papers for Unit 2, I could be wrong but I think only Unit 1 is done in winter as it's a combined qualification with language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_1023)
    My school did not know about the points either and all of the teachers were so angry. They said it would be a good thing though beacuse the grade boundaries would be lowered
    i hope they are low! Really want to get an a and mine too, lucky we went through them loads so i personally knew what to write! how did you think you did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    You don't need to nessercly need to memorize quotes , you can get top marks without using any quotes as long as you refer to a particular moment you don't need to use any quotes
    That's a load of none sense, in our mock if you didn't use quotes you could only get up to an E it's basically telling the story without any quotes.

ReputationRep:
    For Inspector Calls I'm definitely thinking Sheila. And About a Boy has gotta be Will - he hasn't come up since before June 2012, Marcus came up recently, Fiona is on the 2015 specimen paper and I doubt they'd do another Ellie question before doing a Will question. What is everyone else thinking?

ReputationRep:
    OMG THANK GOD EVERYONE HAD THE SAME IS SUE WHERE WERE THE BULLET POINTS .
    All the teachers didn't know ;-; luckily I remembered them

ReputationRep:
    ****. ****. That last poem was one mother****er.

ReputationRep:
    Exam Review:
    OMAM: Extract question: Despite many saying it was hard, I found it easy, you just had to track the changes in mood and atmosphere from the beans in the calm fire to the bit George says if he messes up, he gets no rabbits. Then just continue your PEE and it's good.
    Essay: Did (c) You could talk about multiple charactors to represent the harshness so I thought it was perfect.
    Poetry: Meh, but WJEC is more lenient in marking of this because it's unseen so as long as you have a decent level of analysis and comparision, it's good.
    Overall aiming for 42 or43 out of 50. Hoping for an A*!
    Don't worry, just be hopeful you'll do well, and you will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10studentlife)
    I hope so I anaylised the quotations picking out words but I didnt have time to read my answer so I cant really remember a great detail, I'll be happy with a B or above
    Picking out words will definitely get you a B or above, that's one of the main things you have to do to get high grades

ReputationRep:
    9 points! i only did 3 or 4 :eek: :/ mixed feelings on how ive done tbf, feel that i could have done better for OMAM and i think poetry went ok. From what i wrote today it wont be below a b i dont think, fingers crossed for an a in august! hope you do well and get your a*! what books are you doing on friday?
    I suppose if you've done 3 or 4 in great detail then it'll get you the full marks! Our teacher told us to do 9-10 points on mood & atmosphere because I think the maximum mark awarded for each point/evidence/analysis/speculation is 2 marks, but that's only awarded to the very best paragraphs. So she thought it was safe to just do 9-10 short paragraphs, with 1 mark awarded in each, than to risk doing 3 or 4, not doing enough analysis/speculation and then only getting 3/4 marks in it :c Oh yeah and to not go into too much detail because it's only worth 10 marks and you only have 20 minutes

It's quite easy to get a B to be honest judging from the mark scheme so you'll have gotten a B no problem, and tbh you'll have got higher than that I bet Thank you, but it's really hard to get an A* in this so I doubt it! I'm doing Lord of the Flies and A View From The Bridge on Friday, what are yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyrailly)
    I suppose if you've done 3 or 4 in great detail then it'll get you the full marks! Our teacher told us to do 9-10 points on mood & atmosphere because I think the maximum mark awarded for each point/evidence/analysis/speculation is 2 marks, but that's only awarded to the very best paragraphs. So she thought it was safe to just do 9-10 short paragraphs, with 1 mark awarded in each, than to risk doing 3 or 4, not doing enough analysis/speculation and then only getting 3/4 marks in it :c Oh yeah and to not go into too much detail because it's only worth 10 marks and you only have 20 minutes

It's quite easy to get a B to be honest judging from the mark scheme so you'll have gotten a B no problem, and tbh you'll have got higher than that I bet Thank you, but it's really hard to get an A* in this so I doubt it! I'm doing Lord of the Flies and A View From The Bridge on Friday, what are yours?
    ahhh, i dont think i could have picked out ten points from that extract tbf! it was a bad question tbf, it shouldn't have been on mood and atmosphere. hey ho! we'll have to see in august. what did you get on your coursework? im sure an a* is achievable but youll have to put in the work and be confident in yourself im doing AIC and heroes

ReputationRep:
    i hope they are low! Really want to get an a and mine too, lucky we went through them loads so i personally knew what to write! how did you think you did?
    I sort of knew the points aswell so it was fine. I found the poetry quite easy, but the OMAM questions were awfull, like mood and atmosphere of them eating beans loool. the essay was not AS bad. How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyrailly)
    When I have to constantly look at the paper (e.g for the extract question) I end up getting easily distracted & this caused me to spend about 30 minutes on it instead of the planned 20 But when I'm completely focusing on the answer, and I have all the quotes in my head, I can write really quickly. That's partly the reason why & partly because I already had about 6 main points along with quotes and analysis in my head that I could write about (that I posted here last night). One of the points I broke into two sections, and one I thought up off the top of my head whilst writing about another, so I wrote about that too

I can't remember what I wrote about for all of them (and I used better structure in my actual paragraphs ), but for the one I split up, the basic thing was:

1) Candy overhears Lennie and George and their plan to get a ranch, and he says he'd contribute "three hundred and fifty bucks" (couldn't remember all of the quote so I embedded!). This was quite a lot of money in 1930s America which shows that not only did he have an American Dream of his own - which is likely why he was saving up so much - but that he was so desperate to achieve it that he would contribute all of his money towards achieving it along with two people that he had only just met.

2) His dislike for Curley's wife is also shown (my first paragraph was about calling her a tart) later in the novel when he's in Crooks' (**** I forgot to put the apostrophe after the s) room along with her and Lennie, where Candy "had control of himself. He was the master of the situation. "We know what we got, and we don't care whether you know it or not." On 1930s American ranches there were usually hierarchies, and although Curley's wife is a woman, because she is married to Curley and Candy is disabled she is higher up than him in the hierarchy. Here it is showing that Candy wants the American Dream so much that he is defending it in front of a person higher up in the hierarchy that he would not usually dare to speak to. This suggests the desperation that people had in 1930s America for the American Dream. Additionally, the use of the word "we" includes not only him but Lennie and George (something about how that makes Candy think that achieving the American Dream is more likely because more people were included).
    Thank you very much for the reply. But I thought you were referring to the 10 mark question!

I feel so bad for making you type that all up

But my main concern was about the number of points that you should include in your 10 mark question.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2015

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.