Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganfurley)
    Past offers for Computer Science at Imperial and Cambridge:

What level STEP has been a condition for Computer Science offers from Imperial or Cambridge?

Has anyone heard of anyone being asked to do STEP 2?
    Yes, last year I had to achieve a Grade 1 in STEP 2. I failed that so I missed the offer and reapplied for this year where they asked me for a Grade 2 in STEP 1 instead. Not heard of anyone doing straight computing being asked for STEP 2 THIS year... maybe they changed things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWiseMan)
    What would you recommend the Laptop/Computer spec should be?
    Also, How many sockets do you get in your room?

thanks
    You don't need a particularly powerful laptop - 4GB of RAM and an i3 processor would probably be sufficient for the course if you had to.

My room had 8 outlets in it but that depends which hall/room you get.

My advice is to bring an extension cable anyway. The tenancy agreement is a bit hazy on this but honestly everyone has them and nobody cares if you do. It's been said that clause is in there for insurance reasons but who knows..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zshn)
    Yeah I've been hearing similar things about Xenia. Do you know if it's alright sharing kitchens with 10-20 people at Eastside/Southside? Thanks for answering our questions!
    To offer another perspective, in my year the kitchens were the most important social space. The common room was floor -1, so no one went there. In the end you hang around there most nights and get to know lots of people, some of which will potentially be your housemates for next year!

I really do enjoy cooking, which is probably why I like the wide social kitchens so much. I would recommend you get some basic skills together. Good food makes a happy mind which makes the whole course that much more enjoyable!

When I went back to see some friends, the atmosphere was completely different, and the kitchen was much emptier. I guess it depends what you make of it!

I'm hall senior at Selkirk this year, so I may be a tad biased in my opinion! But after the 6 month placement, the rent is slightly less worrying and I'm happy to put down the money in not having to fret about travel at all. Especially since you are also next door to the sports center.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student from Germany. Imperial is my firm choice.
    Part of my offer for MEng Computing was Grade 2 in STEP 1. I met other parts of my offer.

Today I got my STEP results. I failed completely.
    I got mark U with only 38 marks.

What should I do now?

ReputationRep:
    Got A*A*A* and A* in EPQ, offer is confirmed! Anybody else?

ReputationRep:
    Also got in (a while ago because i got results in july)

ReputationRep:
    Any new Computing freshers, do join the official Computing Freshers group: http://facebook.com/groups/imperialcomputing2016 - best place to connect with other Computing/JMC freshers, and where DoCSoc (Department of Computing Society) will let you know what's happening in the department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    Any new Computing freshers, do join the official Computing Freshers group: http://facebook.com/groups/imperialcomputing2016 - best place to connect with other Computing/JMC freshers, and where DoCSoc (Department of Computing Society) will let you know what's happening in the department.
    It's a closed group, is there something that I have to do to get in or do I just wait?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notrodash)
    It's a closed group, is there something that I have to do to get in or do I just wait?
    Just click join, they'll check your details and then accept you. They'll send a message if there are any problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWiseMan)
    What would you recommend the Laptop/Computer spec should be?
    Also, How many sockets do you get in your room?

thanks
    If it boots and can run Linux, it's perfect for the course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just got rejected and am looking for some advice on what to do next. I got the grades (A* in maths + 3A's), but what let me down was the maths AEA paper. I was only 3 marks off the merit I needed, but apparently that was enough to reject me. I was wondering if there would be any point in asking for the AEA paper to be remarked. If the mark went up to a pass, would they then accept me? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected because of the STEP exam. I met the conditions for UCL, which is my insurance choice. How do UCL and Imperial MEng courses compare with each other?Imperial is ranked much higher than UCL for Computer Science and offers industry placements. I feel like the UCL course isn't good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CS2016)
    I got rejected because of the STEP exam. I met the conditions for UCL, which is my insurance choice. How do UCL and Imperial MEng courses compare with each other?Imperial is ranked much higher than UCL for Computer Science and offers industry placements. I feel like the UCL course isn't good.
    The most important thing is how hard you work and what you make of it. UCL is a great uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freddster1018)
    Hi, I just got rejected and am looking for some advice on what to do next. I got the grades (A* in maths + 3A's), but what let me down was the maths AEA paper. I was only 3 marks off the merit I needed, but apparently that was enough to reject me. I was wondering if there would be any point in asking for the AEA paper to be remarked. If the mark went up to a pass, would they then accept me? Thanks
    Yeah there's a process for remarks where you should get your offer if the grade goes up to the required level, I'd ring Imperial up and ask them though!

(Original post by CS2016)
    Imperial is definitely stronger for engineering (they only offer STEM degrees), but UCL is still one of the best universities in the world. It's ranked higher than Imperial in a few league tables/rankings. Plus the average starting salary for a UCL CS graduate is almost the same as an Imperial Computing graduate (£36k UCL vs £38k Imperial).

All in all, you'll have a great time at UCL and come out with a degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the world, so I wouldn't worry too much

ReputationRep:
    Needed A*AB to go Southampton. Got A*BB and got rejected (8UMS from A*AB) -.-. Was wondering what others got that got into Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    I know it’s an old post but how did you study for pre-u physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashbean)
    I know it’s an old post but how did you study for pre-u physics
    It's better if you make a new thread

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.