Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speed1✈️✈️)
    Plant? , do you mean planet

I got something in the order of 10^33, I used Kepler's 3rd law and radius R2 and time period given in question, converted into seconds.
    God I hope we're both right on this one :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevinwong)
    And mass of the plant was?
    something BIG

I got 1.0...x10^33 I can't remember the decimals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny.L)
    God I hope we're both right on this one :O
    SAME, just gota pray that TeacherCol agrees

Shame we might have to wait till tomorrow though, I would have forgotten my answers

ReputationRep:
    Plant? , do you mean planet

I got something in the order of 10^33, I used Kepler's 3rd law and radius R2 and time period given in question, converted into seconds.
    Did the second part of the question say the period of S1 was 3 days? I used Keplar's law with R1 and T1 to get M1 and then used the ratio to get M2 but I think I may have made a mistake . Would I still get 1/2 marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyslocke)
    Did the second part of the question say the period of S1 was 3 days? I used Keplar's law with R1 and T1 to get M1 and then used the ratio to get M2 but I think I may have made a mistake . Would I still get 1/2 marks?
    3 days????? How???? I never saw that. I am pretty damn certain it was 4 days. I don't know if you would to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saal180898)
    something BIG

I got 1.0...x10^33 I can't remember the decimals
    Yep it was you're right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 days????? How???? I never saw that. I am pretty damn certain it was 4 days. I don't know if you would to be honest
    It was 4 days

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, they told you the period was equal for both of them, 4 days.
    I've no idea if that is right.
    I just used keplers third law with T^2 = (4Pi^2 * R2^3)/(G*M2)
    That got me 1.73*10^33.
    Was it out of 2 or 3?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait my mistake. It was 4 day

ReputationRep:
    That got me 1.73*10^33.
    Was it out of 2 or 3?
    It was worth 3 marks

ReputationRep:
    That got me 1.73*10^33.
    Was it out of 2 or 3?
    I forgot they had the same period >.<. I think I got 10^31. But how come I don't get the same answer?

ReputationRep:
    I forgot they had the same period >.<. I think I got 10^31. But how come I don't get the same answer?
    The question clearly stated both stars had the same period

ReputationRep:
    I forgot they were the same period >.<. I think I got 10^31. But how come I don't get the same answer?
    Yeah a couple people in my class got that too. I've done it like 10 times and I consistently get 10^33, perhaps you mis-entered something on your calculator?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertyMan)
    What were your values for S2 people??? I NEED TO KNOW FUSUFBAKFJKDNDKIDJFJ
    I think it was 1.74x10^33

ReputationRep:
    Workings to get the mass of S2 for those wondering.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    c?
    because when you use kepler's third law the mass you calculated is the capital M not small m. in this case that will be mass c, the centre of rotation.

ReputationRep:
    If I got 7.2x10^12 and 2.4x10^12, do i lose one or two marks? Please answer :9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFarmerLad)
    That means nothing to me do you mean I'll lose M1 and A1 (2 marks) or get M1 and A1 (lose 1 mark)? Have to admit it makes me chuckle, can't wait to see the Hitler video!
    i think both

ReputationRep:
    Really doesn't deserve one to be honest, wasn't as bad as people saying! There have been MUCH worser exams set by OCR - (cough cough G481 June 2015). This years OCR papers seem to be half descent!
    imo this is worse than g481 june 2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saal180898)
    ? I thought it said the the distance between the two stars (R1 + R2) = 4.8x10^12
    I am 100% sure that this person Is correct. I read it very carefully. You were supposed to get that equation shown above and that raito, what was it 3R1=R2 or something, then solve simultaneously. it came out with R1=1.2x10^12 and R2=3.6x10^12.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.