Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Have you received any interview invitations yet + where?
    University of Bristol
    16.28%
    Cardiff University
    22.09%
    University of Southampton
    8.14%
    University of Nottingham
    18.60%
    University of Birmingham
    34.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questioner1234)
    Nope. I think I got something like a logon in September but nothing since. Just waiting till March

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It has to me March? It is said it will be in March?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so this may be a weird question but during some of my mock interviews people have noticed that I tend to fiddle with my hair.

I know an easy solution to this would be just to put my hair up, but I rarely do this normally and feel much more comfortable and confident keeping it down.

Basically, is there any way I can stop fiddling with my hair? I have an interview this week and I don't want to ruin it by touching my hair every five seconds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    Ok, so this may be a weird question but during some of my mock interviews people have noticed that I tend to fiddle with my hair.

I know an easy solution to this would be just to put my hair up, but I rarely do this normally and feel much more comfortable and confident keeping it down.

Basically, is there any way I can stop fiddling with my hair? I have an interview this week and I don't want to ruin it by touching my hair every five seconds!
    Put a rubber band on your wrist and every time you fiddle with it, snap the band on your wrist. Works for alcoholics...

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone could help me on how to structure your "Tell me about yourself" answer.

I spoke to my teacher about it after looking at The ISC book, so touching on why I want to do medicine, an overview of work experience and then wider interests and hobbies.
    But he said it should only be about myself and my interests, so nothing about medicine as they will ask you about that later. So basically taking about where I'm from, my school, interests etc.
    What approach should I be taking? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)

Keep your hands on your lap with your fingers interlocked maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting interview question for you all, bit of practice innit.

What are the main things we can learn from the Mid-Staffordshire Trust scandal? What went wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDB1826)
    Interesting interview question for you all, bit of practice i

What are the main things we can learn from the Mid-Staffordshire Trust scandal? What went wrong?
    The mai cause of the scandal were the poor services that the Hospital offered, such as board failures, lack in effective management, poor nursing standards, few employees, doctors who lacked confidence and communication skills, poor diagnosis and a failure to put the patient first.
    Some thing that could be learned are that patient safety should be the priority, patient involvement should be increased as well as more focus towards compassion and caring in nursing recruitment, training and teaching.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard anything from Sheffield? I know they were supposed to start sending out invitations today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maraznag)
    Anyone heard anything from Sheffield? I know they were supposed to start sending out invitations today.
    Nope, noone on TSR or anyone I know has. I think Unis sometimes start sending out interviews later than it says online. For example imperial only started sending out today when they were meant to start on the 4th December.

Expect Sheffield to start in the next few days though.

ReputationRep:
    How would you answer:
    What is the biggest problem facing the NHS at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScaredBanana)
    How would you answer:
    If they say at the moment I think I'll be inclined to answer with the junior doctors contracts as its been quite big in the news. So maybe talk about the contract, what it entails and the implications of it on doctors and patients?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello everyone,

Good luck to those of you who've been invited to interview, and to those that haven't heard back yet - good luck also!

Regarding problems facing the NHS, here are a few other things to consider as well as the junior doctors contract:

-the ageing population and how the NHS will cope (see this Guardian article)

-sustaining financing/funding, and the fact that NHS trusts have been overspending in order to keep up with demand, and therefore the NHS has been pushed into a huge deficit this year (see this BBC article)

-staff shortages (see this Google search result)

Look into the above, and do a little research about them all - read more than just the articles linked in this post! Perhaps try to think of some other points too. Then you'll be able to make a well-formed argument on what you think the biggest problem facing the NHS is.

Good luck!

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Hi The Medic Portal, I just have a question regarding MMIs. One of the stations for my interview next week aims to test 'Problem Solving' so the university website says. Could this involve calculation? How would it be best to prepare for this station?

ReputationRep:
    How would you answer:
    Aging population. Definitely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How would you answer:
    Hunt.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by RDB1826)
    Hi The Medic Portal, I just have a question regarding MMIs. One of the stations for my interview next week aims to test 'Problem Solving' so the university website says. Could this involve calculation? How would it be best to prepare for this station?
    Hi there,

Calculations tend not to directly fall under 'problem solving' (although you are literally solving a problem when you do a sum!).

A 'problem solving' station will be more likely to assess whether you have logical thought processes in response to a problematic situation/scenario, how well you prioritise tasks or subjects, and whether you can utilise available sources effectively.

If you scroll down on this page (taken from Aberdeen University's website), there is an example video of someone answering a problem solving MMI station well, and an example of one where the candidate (an actor) answers a problem solving station not so well.

However, it is important to remember that all universities interpret MMI stations differently, and they all have different set-ups. The best you can do is to try researching online as much as possible around 'problem solving interview questions', or perhaps ask any teachers/tutors for advice.

We hope this helps,
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Just got an Interview from Sheffield for the 15th of February

ReputationRep:
    I had a question about MMI's... How much do you have to develop your answer within an MMI station? Considering we may only have 5 minutes or so. Is it better to develop your answer in detail or list as many points as you can in lesser detail? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know whether Oxford will use our bmat essay in interview? And do they still consider our scores when deciding about offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatyization)
    I had a question about MMI's... How much do you have to develop your answer within an MMI station? Considering we may only have 5 minutes or so. Is it better to develop your answer in detail or list as many points as you can in lesser detail? Thanks.
    As long as you contextualise and reflect on each point, list as many as you want. Be aware though that you might come across less genuine the more listy it sounds.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.