Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ask the TSR Government - 22nd Parliament watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And what form does the majority of that debt take? I.e. what does the government do when it wants to borrow money?
    Issues Government bonds and stuff,
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Issues Government bonds and stuff,
    Who owns them, largely, and I'm thinking primarily of 1 group and 1 institution.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Who owns them, largely, and I'm thinking primarily of 1 group and 1 institution.
    Well there's of course the IMF and then I suppose the Bank of England.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well there's of course the IMF and then I suppose the Bank of England.
    I didn't really consider the IMF, but it's largely investors, hedge funds and the likes given they are very secure, and the BoE will own some, QE is basically just the BoE buying gilts tro increase the liquidity of the assets of investors so they can invest more money in the economy. Those held by the BoE are effectively interest free, current;y they hold about 20% of the national debt, although no more than 70% of any single issue. Not all the interest is "bad" to pay, per se. Any paid to the BoE isn't really paid, and for that paid to various funds and the likes it depends what they invest in, suppose they invest in the UK economy, again, not really a bad thing. Government bonds are a very important thing for a lot of things and the cost of a lot of financial transactions is based on bond yields to prevent "free money"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)
    Well you can be confident that the new TSR national liberal party backs trident and doesn't think protecting our nation is a bad thing or something to be ashamed of.
    Come on chaps, no need to resort to silly diversionary tactics that a four year old could see through. I don't think many at all think the existence of Trident is a bad thing (I know there are some who support UND on principle, I'm not one of them) - I think most of us who oppose Trident bemoan its opportunity cost - it's far from the best use of the money for the nation (the money could, for instance, be spent on education...

...or increasing the benefit cap

Will we be seeing any further SOIs from the quieter members of the front bench?

ReputationRep:
    They stopped me from further increasing the benifit cap, (I would have liked to remove it altogether actually), they stopped me from increasing corporation tax, they stopped me from increasing Capital Gains Tax to RL levels, they stopped me from getting rid of our nukes... It's quite a long list actually.
    To be fair that included me as well
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by United1892)
    To be fair that included me as well
    Yes but I can ignore one labourite every now and then, I can't ignore our coalition partners
    Spoiler:
    Show
    at least not all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    In your mind...
    Because putting children in poverty can ever be good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    Will we be seeing any further SOIs from the quieter members of the front bench?
    I should get a few done for transport next month.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That was exactly my thought on the matter. It may not put them in poverty but it'll make them worse off.

I should get a few done for transport next month.
    That's good to know. What are your opinions on HS2?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hasn't it already been scrapped?

ReputationRep:
    If it hasn't been scrapped already than I'd like to get rid of it, shall check in a bit.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    What I proposed wouldn't do that. The discussions were on new children. If the parent has too many children then they are taken into care.

I've no idea

If it hasn't been scrapped already than I'd like to get rid of it, shall check in a bit.
    Ah good.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    What I proposed wouldn't do that. The discussions were on new children. If the parent has too many children then they are taken into care.
    Jesus christ.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I've no idea
    I thought we scrapped it in the Coalition that shall not be named

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well it would because it would punish the child for the folly of the parent.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.