Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't think South Africa have ever been a team that'll "keep their foot on teams throats." Will never forget how they bottled it at against India when chasing down a world record run chase a few years back. They've always been bottlers in cricket, which is odd considering how ruthless the mentality they have when it comes to rugby union.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Any criticism of England's bowlers is extremely harsh imho. Nobody has on here, but a few on social media have been. I thought Finn bowled extremely well, and there was nothing in the wicket for Broad/Anderson. There was nothing in the air, either.

That - coupled with the fact England dropped TEN chances in the field - meant that they were on a hiding to nothing. But I have sympathy for the drops and fumbles.

Two days in the outfield is tough, and concentration will naturally wane. We saw the frustration in the sledging and antics from Stokes, Broad and co.

Newlands is typically a very tough place to pick out the ball mid-flight, too.

ReputationRep:
    The biggest thing SA will take from this game is that Amla regained his form and the rest of the line up (pretty much) chipped in. Should be a big worry for England, to be honest.

The next test match will all be about the pace attacks though, cause the Wanderers has a lot of bounce and pace. Two of the best pace attacks against each other, gonna be exciting.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    The biggest thing SA will take from this game is that Amla regained his form and the rest of the line up (pretty much) chipped in. Should be a big worry for England, to be honest.

The next test match will all be about the pace attacks though, cause the Wanderers has a lot of bounce and pace. Two of the best pace attacks against each other, gonna be exciting.
    Amla in form and such a feel-good, infectious momentum surrounding the first black player to score a hundred, coupled with Steyn's return, is pretty ominous for England.

ReputationRep:
    New Zealand chase down Sri Lanka's 142 in 10 overs with 9 wickets spare.. Including a 14 ball 50 from Colin Munro, the second fastest T20i half century.

Can anyone, without looking it up, name the fastest?

ReputationRep:
    Munro with a 14 ball half-century! Pakistan have a huge challenge on their hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    New Zealand chase down Sri Lanka's 142 in 10 overs with 9 wickets spare.. Including a 14 ball 50 from Colin Munro, the second fastest T20i half century.

Can anyone, without looking it up, name the fastest?
    Yuvraj Singhs 12 ball back in 2008? I think it was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    Yuvraj Singhs 12 ball back in 2008? I think it was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, that was easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Well, that was easy
    Yeh, sorry seen it on youtube a couple of months ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Roll on the World Twenty20. I can't wait! NZ completely dismantled SL in all three formats - beating them 2-0 in the Test series, 3-1 in the ODIs and 2-0 in the T20s.

Meanwhile, Shah will be appealing his ban. Perhaps unsurprisingly.

ReputationRep:
    With the way NZ have been playing, albeit in different conditions, they have to be one of the favourites for the T20 World Cup.

WI are at the top of the ICC T20 rankings, but I don't see them winning the tournament, unless they pick a really good squad and put behind all the differences. They need players like Gayle, Pollard, Bravo etc to have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    West Indies have so many good players not playing for them; Gayle, Pollard, Bravo, Narine, Badree Russell etc. Whilst I don't think they'd add much to the test side, they can all be devastating in the shorter formats.

ReputationRep:
    Munro with a 14 ball half-century! Pakistan have a huge challenge on their hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I expect Pakistan to do better than how SL have. You have a better bowling line up and your batting will probably be better too (SL look a very defeated side at the moment). Excited to see how Mohammad Amir does.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    With the way NZ have been playing, albeit in different conditions, they have to be one of the favourites for the T20 World Cup.

WI are at the top of the ICC T20 rankings, but I don't see them winning the tournament, unless they pick a really good squad and put behind all the differences. They need players like Gayle, Pollard, Bravo etc to have a chance.
    Vastly different conditions, in truth. Indian pitches may not suit the NZ batters - and arguably more importantly - NZ bowlers.

NZ grounds typically have very short boundaries, which lends itself well to their big hitters like Guptill and Williamson. In fact, I'd love a World Twenty20 to be held in NZ.

In Test news for the Black Caps, apparently Tim Southee will miss the Australia series. Gutted for him.

ReputationRep:
    I expect Pakistan to do better than how SL have. You have a better bowling line up and your batting will probably be better too (SL look a very defeated side at the moment). Excited to see how Mohammad Amir does.
    Yep, I never followed cricket properly when he used to bowl pre-ban but really excited by the hype he's generating. Pakistan need consistency, supporting England before them though in the World Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Realistically, you've got to back India and Pakistan to go far in the World Twenty20, with Australia and NZ not far behind. Can't see SA/England matching the aforementioned quartet.

ReputationRep:
    ^Pakistan? Definitely not. I'd be surprised if they get out of the group stages. Shah's loss is a big blow but Amir's return could negate that. New Zealand will be a good preparation and an accurate assessment of how they will fare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Vastly different conditions, in truth. Indian pitches may not suit the NZ batters - and arguably more importantly - NZ bowlers.

NZ grounds typically have very short boundaries, which lends itself well to their big hitters like Guptill and Williamson. In fact, I'd love a World Twenty20 to be held in NZ.

In Test news for the Black Caps, apparently Tim Southee will miss the Australia series. Gutted for him.
    Agreed, but I would still expect Williamson to shine, he is pure class. Indian grounds aren't all massive, though, but they may struggle against spin in some of the matches. Still. think they have a chance.

Yep, I never followed cricket properly when he used to bowl pre-ban but really excited by the hype he's generating. Pakistan need consistency, supporting England before them though in the World Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I remember watching him a few times before his ban, and I think he will probably be better now. I can't see Pakistan winning, cause of the consistency that you mentioned, but they will provide some exciting matches.

ReputationRep:
    The pre-tournament 'tournament' is mad...Bangladesh, Ireland and Netherlands (and Oman) are all in one group, with Scotland, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Hong Kong in the other. Afghanistan have had some great results recently, would love them to make it.

I'm actually a little bit confident about England's tournament. Feels weird. I don't like it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Louis.)

I'm actually a little bit confident about England's tournament. Feels weird. I don't like it.
    Trust in Strauss.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 26, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.