Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzipth_Floyd)
    Have really crashed tonight. Really don't know how to get through this one...
    sorry i cant help more but sending *hugs*

(Original post by jelly1000)
    Sending *hugs* to both of you
    Thank you lovely :hugs:
    Hope you are ok too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you lovely :hugs:
    Hope you are ok too
    Thank you, feeling a bit calmer now although still a bit annoyed with myself/frustrated. I'll probably be up and down for quite a while though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    It would be great to have you contribute to any themes you think are applicable to you

In a rush but if I haven't replied by tomorrow morning, quote me again and I'll reply properly
    Hiya!! I've been on a break from TSR so that's why I didn't respond (apologies).

Ah excellent! I'd love to make some contributions!!!

Ah ok then no worries! Are you able to now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Hiya!! I've been on a break from TSR so that's why I didn't respond (apologies).

Ah excellent! I'd love to make some contributions!!!

Ah ok then no worries! Are you able to now?
    No need to apologise! I'm the one who needs to apologise actually - had a breakdown and was out of action for quite a while.

I've PMed a draft of an OP to some of the mods, just waiting to hear back from them about any additions/amendments. Then hopefully can post and get the ball rolling.

Sorry this is taking so long, it's difficult what with the unpredictable nature of my mental health

ReputationRep:
    No need to apologise! I'm the one who needs to apologise actually - had a breakdown and was out of action for quite a while.

I've PMed a draft of an OP to some of the mods, just waiting to hear back from them about any additions/amendments. Then hopefully can post and get the ball rolling.

Sorry this is taking so long, it's difficult what with the unpredictable nature of my mental health
    :hugs: hope you're alright :console:

--

Had a bad day at work yesterday and things some of my customers said that i had yesterday keep going around my head.

Didn't help that one of my managers decided to be mean to me as well :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:

I thought i would anyway!
    Aw no you dont need to apologize!
    I hope youre ok now!!!

Ah excellent! Make sure to let me know once its all sorted out!! I look forward to contributing!!

Its ok! Mental illnesses are awful!! I hope things do imrpove for you soon!! Youre too nice to be going through this!!!

convinced I'm going to fail the year

More palpitations :/

ReputationRep:
    convinced I'm going to fail the year
    What year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    Trying to have a early night as I haven't slept well recently and I have to get up early tomorrow.

It isn't really going well.

ReputationRep:
    These past few days have been absolutely horrendous. The voices are about as loud as they've ever been, and tell me to do something I really don't want to do. Without going into detail, it's one of those things that cannot be taken back. My wife has been amazing, last night I had a panic attack and we just sat cuddling for 2 hours until things calmed down a bit (with a little help from klonopin). And again today they were overwhelming so again we just cuddled. She makes me feel so safe. But I'm really worried about next time I see my psychiatrist - I don't trust myself to be alone but my spouse has work to do when we get back, and yeah, I'm just terrified about what my psychiatrist might suggest.

sexual/ED trigger warning
    My BMI is 0.4 points away from "obesity". I keep crying when I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror/shop window, I feel supermassive. My wife keeps trying to do sexual stuff but I don't want to take my hands off my belly and I know she's getting frustrated but really the whole experience makes me cry. I have a summer class 6 hours a day, every weekday in June so not a lot of time to hit the gym - though I doubt it will make any difference, I eat hardly anything now and yet the weight is still piling on. My psychiatrist refuses to believe it's the new med he started me on. I don't know what to do, I feel so incredibly **** about myself and I know it's frustrating my partner too.

Oh boy this was long, but if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

ReputationRep:
    More palpitations :/
    Have you seen a doctor about these?

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Have you seen a doctor about these?
    Yeah i did, they were useless tbh :/

ReputationRep:
    These past few days have been absolutely horrendous. The voices are about as loud as they've ever been, and tell me to do something I really don't want to do. Without going into detail, it's one of those things that cannot be taken back. My wife has been amazing, last night I had a panic attack and we just sat cuddling for 2 hours until things calmed down a bit (with a little help from klonopin). And again today they were overwhelming so again we just cuddled. She makes me feel so safe. But I'm really worried about next time I see my psychiatrist - I don't trust myself to be alone but my spouse has work to do when we get back, and yeah, I'm just terrified about what my psychiatrist might suggest.

sexual/ED trigger warning
    My BMI is 0.4 points away from "obesity". I keep crying when I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror/shop window, I feel supermassive. My wife keeps trying to do sexual stuff but I don't want to take my hands off my belly and I know she's getting frustrated but really the whole experience makes me cry. I have a summer class 6 hours a day, every weekday in June so not a lot of time to hit the gym - though I doubt it will make any difference, I eat hardly anything now and yet the weight is still piling on. My psychiatrist refuses to believe it's the new med he started me on. I don't know what to do, I feel so incredibly **** about myself and I know it's frustrating my partner too.

Oh boy this was long, but if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.
    Hey, sorry to hear that you've been having a tough time lately.

Do you know for a fact that your weight gain is down to your meds? Is that a known side-effect or have you narrowed down the cause yourself?

A healthy lifestyle is something like a 70/30 split between diet and exercise. If you are eating hardly anything (which I am taking literally), then you really are doing more harm than good. You're body will conserve every last ounce of fat as it enters starvation mode.

It seems to me that your wife is a source of stability and comfort to you. Why not let her help you in the weight loss department as well? Perhaps you could work out together and meal plan together. Weight loss (at least for me) was a lot easier when I had other people to confide in.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i did, they were useless tbh :/
    Could you see a different doctor at the same practice perhaps?

I was getting really bad palpitations and it took a couple of different doctors before they did a holter monitor on me. Sometimes you really have to push to get help.

ReputationRep:
    X
    Spoiler:
    Show
    According to the NHS BMI calculator, I'm obese. In reality, I'm just really short with a big appetite with a tendancy to comfort eat. I have been told by my doctors that BMI is just a load of rubbish. (My weight is monitored due to the medication I'm on, so is my blood pressure. ) I'm a size UK 12 in bottoms and most tops, and 14 in some tops because of my boobs. That isn't "fat". Anyway, my advice would be if you want to loose weight, try and eat smaller portions, eat more fruit and excersise? I lost a lot of weight last year due to anxiety and it wasn't the best way to go about it :hide:

That probably didn't help at all :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markreed)
    Hey, sorry to hear that you've been having a tough time lately.

Do you know for a fact that your weight gain is down to your meds? Is that a known side-effect or have you narrowed down the cause yourself?

A healthy lifestyle is something like a 70/30 split between diet and exercise. If you are eating hardly anything (which I am taking literally), then you really are doing more harm than good. You're body will conserve every last ounce of fat as it enters starvation mode.

It seems to me that your wife is a source of stability and comfort to you. Why not let her help you in the weight loss department as well? Perhaps you could work out together and meal plan together. Weight loss (at least for me) was a lot easier when I had other people to confide in.
    Thanks for the reply, buddy.

ED triggers (numbers)

My psychiatrist told me that as I had exams I must have been snacking a lot during studying. What a load of b/s that was. I started the drug a little over 2 months ago and have put on 26lbs in that time (2 stone/nearly 12kg). That's not a little overeating, that is pizza, ice cream, and doughnuts for every meal. I looked on the internet and the little bit of paper that comes in the box and both say that it can cause sometimes significant weight gain.

When I say hardly anything I didn't mean to starvation levels, sorry I should have made that clear. On days when I don't feel too depressed to count I eat roughly 1500 calories. I'll be honest, I don't know how healthy that is - is it starving levels?

My wife is skinny as hell and won't eat any meal without a lot of meat and very little of anything else. We also will have very different schedules over the next few months so can't really work out together - thanks for the suggestion but I had already thought about that. :sigh: She's also of the view that I have to pass this summer class and even if I weigh 250lbs at the end of it, it's more important to pass than keep my weight down. I'll be completely screwed if I don't pass but the idea of gaining even more weight makes me despair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    According to the NHS BMI calculator, I'm obese. In reality, I'm just really short with a big appetite with a tendancy to comfort eat. I have been told by my doctors that BMI is just a load of rubbish. (My weight is monitored due to the medication I'm on, so is my blood pressure. ) I'm a size UK 12 in bottoms and most tops, and 14 in some tops because of my boobs. That isn't "fat". Anyway, my advice would be if you want to loose weight, try and eat smaller portions, eat more fruit and excersise? I lost a lot of weight last year due to anxiety and it wasn't the best way to go about it :hide:

That probably didn't help at all :getmecoat:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's interesting that your doctors told you that :beard: I've heard it's more a guideline and shouldn't be taken too seriously, but when you see that big red arrow pointing at "obese" it's difficult to not feel bad about it

I think you're right - from what I know about sizing 12/14 isn't that big. I bought new jeans 3 months ago in a 32" waist and now my 36" shorts no longer fit. I'm only 5'9 so I can't even blame my high clothing sizes on my height

But yeah, I've cut out a lot of things I really enjoy from my diet. And due to recently-diagnosed GERD I can't drink alcohol, eat pizza or drink milk/soda - but yet the weight keeps piling on. :cry2:

And that did help, thank you :hugs: I feel less bad being so close to obese hearing your doctors have told you it's a crap measure.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, buddy.

ED triggers (numbers)

My psychiatrist told me that as I had exams I must have been snacking a lot during studying. What a load of b/s that was. I started the drug a little over 2 months ago and have put on 26lbs in that time (2 stone/nearly 12kg). That's not a little overeating, that is pizza, ice cream, and doughnuts for every meal. I looked on the internet and the little bit of paper that comes in the box and both say that it can cause sometimes significant weight gain.

When I say hardly anything I didn't mean to starvation levels, sorry I should have made that clear. On days when I don't feel too depressed to count I eat roughly 1500 calories. I'll be honest, I don't know how healthy that is - is it starving levels?

My wife is skinny as hell and won't eat any meal without a lot of meat and very little of anything else. We also will have very different schedules over the next few months so can't really work out together - thanks for the suggestion but I had already thought about that. :sigh: She's also of the view that I have to pass this summer class and even if I weigh 250lbs at the end of it, it's more important to pass than keep my weight down. I'll be completely screwed if I don't pass but the idea of gaining even more weight makes me despair.
    Hey, no problem

Wow, how can your psychiatrist deny the potential fact that it may the new meds that might be causing weight gain if it even says so on the health and safety information leaflet? Next time you go see them, I'd definitely bring in the leaflet and point that fact out to them. Maybe they can get you onto something different in that case.
    Spoiler:
    Show

1500 is definitely not starvation levels. I think 2000 calories is around the average recommended daily intake for a male, so a deficit of 500 calories sounds pretty good to me. Do you drink a lot of water? I always found that drinking 2 litres of water helped a lot with weight loss.

If your psychiatrist refuses to prescribe you different meds could you not possibly get your GP to refer you to a different psychiatrist?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.