A Summer of Maths (ASoM) 2016

Announcements

(Original post by drandy76)
    Should I learn to programme/code during uni or not worth the effort?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You want to be able to program to a level where you can solve problems in your degree. Language does not matter but a scripting language like python will give you quick and dirty ways of doing calculations and plotting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    I'm no expert in these things, but when I recently asked much the same question in the Cambridge Maths thread they said Python would probably be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sweet, it's the coolest language name too imo

ReputationRep:
    Sweet, it's the coolest language name too imo
    Brainfu*k tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Brainfu*k tho
    It has a derivative called DerpPlusPlus which Is pretty cool too

ReputationRep:
    It has a derivative called DerpPlusPlus which Is pretty cool too
    d/dx(brainfu*k) = derpplusplus what is this sorcery maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    d/dx(brainfu*k) = derpplusplus what is this sorcery maths
    It's part 111 ****, proper advanced

ReputationRep:
    It's part 111 ****, proper advanced
    I myself program in a very high level language.

It's called 'messaging friends who can program properly'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    I myself program in a very high level language.

It's called 'messaging friends who can program properly'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Friends....404 not found

ReputationRep:
    A quick question on notation: If a group  H is a subgroup of a group  G and  G \thickapprox G' is it fine to say  H is a subgroup of  G' ? e.g. is  SL(2, \mathbb{Z} ) a subgroup of the Mobius group?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    A quick question on notation: If a group  H is a subgroup of a group  G and  G \thickapprox G' is it fine to say  H is a subgroup of  G' ? e.g. is  SL(2, \mathbb{Z} ) a subgroup of the Mobius group?
    It depends upon (a) how formal you are trying to be and (b) how the groups concerned are actually specified. Let me simplify the situation and ask what the difference might be between saying that "H is a subgroup of G" and "H is isomorphic to a subgroup of G". Can you think of circumstances where you might wish to prefer the one over the other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    It depends upon (a) how formal you are trying to be and (b) how the groups concerned are actually specified. Let me simplify the situation and ask what the difference might be between saying that "H is a subgroup of G" and "H is isomorphic to a subgroup of G". Can you think of circumstances where you might wish to prefer the one over the other?
    Im not sure when the "H is a subgroup of G" case is more useful than the other (the other which I assume is the proper statement), but Ive still seen it used every now and then in different texts. What circumstances were you thinking of? Perhaps when the operation  G' is under is easier to deal with than the operation in  G it may be easier to look at  G' but that's probably a different situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Im not sure when the "H is a subgroup of G" case is more useful than the other (the other which I assume is the proper statement), but Ive still seen it used every now and then in different texts. What circumstances were you thinking of? Perhaps when the operation  G' is under is easier to deal with than the operation in  G it may be easier to look at  G' but that's probably a different situation.
    Yes, you do see the informal use. Pure mathematicians, having established that rigour can be achieved, not infrequently let their hair down and talk quite informally, safe in the knowledge that they could fill in the filthy details if they wanted to.

The circumstances that I'm thinking of can be seen in this statement of Cayley's thorem. The group that you are dealing with may be specified in a number of different ways: as a group of matrices; as a group presentation; as a table specifying the group operation; etc, etc. If you say that H is a subgroup of G, you are implicitly saying that the elements of H are a subset of the elements of G, rather than saying that the elements of H can be identified with a subset of the elements of G.

So if you're dealing with a group of matrices G and you identify a subset H of those matrices that itself forms a group, it would be perfectly OK to say that H is a subgroup of G.On the other hand, if H was specified via abstract elements in a multiplication table, then you should probably saying that H is isomorphic to a subgroup of G.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of writing some notes on groups and other topics for 1st year mathematics, if this would be any use to anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Slice of Pi)
    I was thinking of writing some notes on groups and other topics for 1st year mathematics, if this would be any use to anyone
    Yeah could do with a refresher on groups, what other topics you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah could do with a refresher on groups, what other topics you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Vector calculus, multivariable calculus, linear algebra etc.

ReputationRep:
    Vector calculus, multivariable calculus, linear algebra etc.
    Will be covering linear algebra myself, but I'll look over vector calculus at least

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Will be covering linear algebra myself, but I'll look over vector calculus at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Multivariable can be very interesting

ReputationRep:
    Multivariable can be very interesting
    Learnt a bit in year 12, was really cool but didn't quite get to the actual calculus bit unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For those who would like a refresher on number theory, I've just finished Q4 of this year's BMO2 and it's very nice indeed.

Here's what I did for this one
    Spoiler:
    Show

p^2 = \frac{u^2 + v^2}{2} \\ \\ \therefore 2p^2 = u^2 + v^2 = (u+v)^2-2uv \\

Multiply by two

4p^2 = 2(u+v)^2-4uv \\ \\ 4p^2 - (u+v)^2 = (u + v)^2 - 4uv \\ \\ \therefore (2p - u - v)(2p + u + v) = (u + v)^2 - 4uv = u^2 - 2uv + v^2

Now  u^2 - 2uv + v^2 can be written in two ways. Either as  (u - v)^2 or as 2(p^2 - uv).

This tells us that (2p - u - v)(2p + u + v) is
    1.) Even
    2.) A perfect square

Thus
    2p - u - v =2^{k}n^2
    for some n.
    When k is odd, this expression is twice a square, and when k is even it is a square, as desired.

ReputationRep:
    For those who would like a refresher on number theory, I've just finished Q4 of this year's BMO2 and it's very nice indeed.

Here's what I did for this one
    Spoiler:
    Show

p^2 = \frac{u^2 + v^2}{2} \\ \\ \therefore 2p^2 = u^2 + v^2 = (u+v)^2-2uv \\

Multiply by two

4p^2 = 2(u+v)^2-4uv \\ \\ 4p^2 - (u+v)^2 = (u + v)^2 - 4uv \\ \\ \therefore (2p - u - v)(2p + u + v) = (u + v)^2 - 4uv = u^2 - 2uv + v^2

Now  u^2 - 2uv + v^2 can be written in two ways. Either as  (u - v)^2 or as 2(p^2 - uv).

This tells us that (2p - u - v)(2p + u + v) is
    1.) Even
    2.) A perfect square

Thus
    2p - u - v =2^{k}n^2
    for some n.
    When k is odd, this expression is twice a square, and when k is even it is a square, as desired.
    I spent like 2 hours staring at this **** in the exam. I spent much time finding numerical values to check it was correct because it sounded so unlikely... sadly my impressive arithmetic got no marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think sex education should be compulsory in schools?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.