Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by eruditeprincess)
    I stress out so much about this stuff and I feel like the 6th form team at my school are confident I can get into my top choice, and my teachers know I can get into my top choice, but I am just stressing about whether my personal statement is good enough to get me into my first choice or any of my choices!
    I am pretty sure you can get into your first choice. Unless your personal statement is extremely horrible (which I do not think it is, I bet it is stellar ) I think the chances of you getting into none of your choices is slim if you have a balanced list. At any rate, I would believe your teachers, they have confidence in you and I think you should have confidence in yourself as well. My counselor didn't have really encourage me, I had to push him to let me apply to certain choices

ReputationRep:
    Course: Dentistry
    Universities: King's College London, University of Birmingham, University of Manchester, Newcastle University
    GCSEs: A^A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AA
    AS Levels: AAAAC
    A Levels (predicted): A*A*A + epq a*
    Offers: Newcastle Biomed
    4 Dentistry interviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    I am pretty sure you can get into your first choice. Unless your personal statement is extremely horrible (which I do not think it is, I bet it is stellar ) I think the chances of you getting into none of your choices is slim if you have a balanced list. At any rate, I would believe your teachers, they have confidence in you and I think you should have confidence in yourself as well. My counselor didn't have really encourage me, I had to push him to let me apply to certain choice
    I've been prepared for applying to uni since last June, completing my UCAS fully bar PS at the end of August. My main concern is my grades as they were less than stellar at AS and not fab at GCSE (my average was a B when I was predicted an A). That's why for me my personal statement is important, and even then I'm applying for a media course. My main media experience was GCSE, where I got a B as I almost failed the exam but got an A overall in coursework, boosting up my grade.

I just want to go to university so so badly, somewhere away from home,
    I'm concerned that getting into none of my choices may be likely to occur and how I will cope from there.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I've been prepared for applying to uni since last June, completing my UCAS fully bar PS at the end of August. My main concern is my grades as they were less than stellar at AS and not fab at GCSE (my average was a B when I was predicted an A). That's why for me my personal statement is important, and even then I'm applying for a media course. My main media experience was GCSE, where I got a B as I almost failed the exam but got an A overall in coursework, boosting up my grade.

I just want to go to university so so badly, somewhere away from home,
    I'm concerned that getting into none of my choices may be likely to occur and how I will cope from there.
    What are you predicted in A2? and where are you applying to? That's extremely early to start your application lool, I only finished my application days before the deadline. I am sure a person who started their application extremely early must have many drafts to their personal statement and therefore it must be in great shape. I am sure that if you have relevant work experience, it will be fine

ReputationRep:
    What are you predicted in A2? and where are you applying to? That's extremely early to start your application lool, I only finished my application days before the deadline. I am sure a person who started their application extremely early must have many drafts to their personal statement and therefore it must be in great shape. I am sure that if you have relevant work experience, it will be fine
    I'm a part time tutor, a young leader with a Guide group, not sure what I'm predicted for A2 yet as I haven't been told by school and I'm applying to Keele (x2) (top), Lancaster, UEA and Leicester. I have about 7 drafts of my personal statement down and have a personal deadline of November 30th to send off my application.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I'm a part time tutor, a young leader with a Guide group, not sure what I'm predicted for A2 yet as I haven't been told by school and I'm applying to Keele (x2) (top), Lancaster, UEA and Leicester. I have about 7 drafts of my personal statement down and have a personal deadline of November 30th to send off my application.
    Your supra-curricular activities are solid, it will show that you are a leader . I don't think you will have a problem sending it off on Nov. 30 unless you encounter problems with the school registration because you already have 7 drafts. It will perfect by the time you send it off. Wow, your school hasn't given predicteds yet then again, my school only gave me my predicted after I sent my application out which was sort of useless...

ReputationRep:
    Your supra-curricular activities are solid, it will show that you are a leader . I don't think you will have a problem sending it off on Nov. 30 unless you encounter problems with the school registration because you already have 7 drafts. It will perfect by the time you send it off. Wow, your school hasn't given predicteds yet then again, my school only gave me my predicted after I sent my application out which was sort of useless...
    Technically school has my predicteds but those are subject to change up until I send off my application. Then again, my school isn't amazing sometimes with letting sixth form know about things going on, such as predicted grades. I'm a drama A Level student so I do have good people skills, as with my job, and tbh the amount of stuff I do within and outside of school (I'm a senior student, essentially head of my house at school) means that I have way too many transferable skills. Plus I've made the reckless, stupid decision of studying additional content for two of my subjects (sociology and history) and focused on a play that surrounded cyberbullying and social media at GCSE for my final drama thing and my AS monologue.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Technically school has my predicteds but those are subject to change up until I send off my application. Then again, my school isn't amazing sometimes with letting sixth form know about things going on, such as predicted grades. I'm a drama A Level student so I do have good people skills, as with my job, and tbh the amount of stuff I do within and outside of school (I'm a senior student, essentially head of my house at school) means that I have way too many transferable skills. Plus I've made the reckless, stupid decision of studying additional content for two of my subjects (sociology and history) and focused on a play that surrounded cyberbullying and social media at GCSE for my final drama thing and my AS monologue.
    Hahaha having way too many transferable skills is good You are so lucky, I wanted to take Drama as a part of my IB diploma but our school stopped offering it two years before. Focusing on media issues in your subjects is good and unis will recognize your efforts. Dw, everything will def be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha having way too many transferable skills is good You are so lucky, I wanted to take Drama as a part of my IB diploma but our school stopped offering it two years before. Focusing on media issues in your subjects is good and unis will recognize your efforts. Dw, everything will def be fine.
    They couldn't not let me take drama after my practical grade at GCSE was revealed to be an A - if I wanted to do it, I wasn't going to be stopped by it. But yeah, I do so much out of school that my statement reader who is also writing my reference told me that I looked like a really well rounded student. I'm really concerned about drama as it is not linear but History and sociology are, so I'm okay with them.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    They couldn't not let me take drama after my practical grade at GCSE was revealed to be an A - if I wanted to do it, I wasn't going to be stopped by it. But yeah, I do so much out of school that my statement reader who is also writing my reference told me that I looked like a really well rounded student. I'm really concerned about drama as it is not linear but History and sociology are, so I'm okay with them.
    Yeah you have two more traditional academic subjects so you'll be fine. And besides you are applying for media studies? if I am not wrong I think that has a lot to do with drama especially the interpersonal skills portion of drama. Universities like well-rounded students! My statement reader had to cut a lot of the stuff I wrote out because I had too many outside stuff that I can write. I am sure you encountered this problem too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you have two more traditional academic subjects so you'll be fine. And besides you are applying for media studies? if I am not wrong I think that has a lot to do with drama especially the interpersonal skills portion of drama. Universities like well-rounded students! My statement reader had to cut a lot of the stuff I wrote out because I had too many outside stuff that I can write. I am sure you encountered this problem too.
    He approved my work experience/volunteering paragraph and advised that I just explain in more depth why I want to do media, communication and culture. Essentially, the main criticism was why I wanted to study the course and why I loved it so much. Once I've sorted that and he thinks it is okay, I can get him to attach my references and I'll be okay. It's waiting for that stage and getting my statement polished.

ReputationRep:
    Course: Accounting and finance
    Universities: Surrey, Sussex, Reading, UEA, Kent
    GCSE grades:A* A* A* A A A A A A B
    AS grades (achieved): B C C D
    A2 grades (predicted): A B B
    Extra curricular: Sports
    Other: Part time job
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    He approved my work experience/volunteering paragraph and advised that I just explain in more depth why I want to do media, communication and culture. Essentially, the main criticism was why I wanted to study the course and why I loved it so much. Once I've sorted that and he thinks it is okay, I can get him to attach my references and I'll be okay. It's waiting for that stage and getting my statement polished.
    Haha yeah, I am sure you'll be fine once you express your love for your chosen discipline. Good luck on your applications

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah, I am sure you'll be fine once you express your love for your chosen discipline. Good luck on your applications

Hey! u seem like a really nice and knowledgeable person that can answer to my worries. im just really stressed that i haven't applied yet and my favorite uni is giving out offers to like everyone in my class. i cant apply this week coz its half term so ill probably be applying in 2 weeks time coz i need to sort out my predicted grades. will me applying in 2 weeks lessen my chance of getting offers? i really wanna study business management but everyday going by makes me panic that i haven't applied and its killing me! i feel like a sitting duck. Please advise me as i really dont know what to do
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AnwarArcher)
    Hey! u seem like a really nice and knowledgeable person that can answer to my worries. im just really stressed that i haven't applied yet and my favorite uni is giving out offers to like everyone in my class. i cant apply this week coz its half term so ill probably be applying in 2 weeks time coz i need to sort out my predicted grades. will me applying in 2 weeks lessen my chance of getting offers? i really wanna study business management but everyday going by makes me panic that i haven't applied and its killing me! i feel like a sitting duck. Please advise me as i really dont know what to do
    What university are you looking to apply for? I am sure 2 weeks will not make a difference. Universities say that they will give equal consideration to all applicants who apply before January 15 so you'll be fine . You are not a sitting duck, don't panic, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    im currently looking to apply to Manchester, Birmingham, surrey,kent and kingston. im predicted A* A C but i need AAB and im also trying to sort out my personal statement. when do most people apply? october? i just really wanna get into my uni choices otherwise stuff will get sad

ReputationRep:
    im currently looking to apply to Manchester, Birmingham, surrey,kent and kingston. im predicted A* A C but i need AAB and im also trying to sort out my personal statement. when do most people apply? october? i just really wanna get into my uni choices otherwise stuff will get sad
    Don't rush your application just because others have applied already.
    I applied like two days after UCAS would let me - but that was because I was completely ready.
    It doesn't matter when anyone else applied - as long and you have an application that you're happy with and you've sent it away before the January deadline - you will be fine.

Uni's HAVE to treat your application equally until the January deadline - so please, please don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    How many times do we have to repeat this?

Universities do not 'run out of offers'. You have just as much chance of an offer if you apply in October as if you apply at Christmas. All applications received before the Jan deadline get 'equal consideration'. The Universities are clear on this point, as is UCAS. They make far more offers than places because they know a) not everyone will make that Uni their Firm, and b) not everyone who does will get the required grades next August.

Please see :
    1) https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/1...-applying-time
    2) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ont-panic.html

ReputationRep:
    Can your reference see if you have any offers or rejections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emx123)
    Can your reference see if you have any offers or rejections?
    They can if your setting is to ''share information with your school.''
    You can find this on UCAS under vvyour application'' or ''your details''' not sure which one

Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.