Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Thank you, I've been at work all evening. What's the current situation?
    Yw.People are saying the coup has failed. There is still some fighting going on apparently but it doesn't seem to be anything big. Erdogan arrived in istanbul airport and spoke to reporters in the past hour or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    Yw.People are saying the coup has failed. There is still some fighting going on apparently but it doesn't seem to be anything big. Erdogan arrived in istanbul airport and spoke to reporters in the past hour or so.
    Thanks, it seems as if the world has gone mad, first the Nice attack and now this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Thanks, it seems as if the world has gone mad, first the Nice attack and now this
    I think it's always mad, just perhaps it's been shot more in our faces in the past day or two.

Time to sleep anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Democracy is only good when the Muslims aren't voted in. Didn't you know
    Erdogan 1 - 0 Coup plotters

Sweet, sweet victory.

ReputationRep:
    So, it seems likely that now that the coup has failed, Turkey will become an increasingly autocratic state that will purge anyone opposed to Erdogan's policies. Which likely means less and less secularism, along with more and more "progress" towards a theocracy.

Not that it was very democratic anyway, with only members of a particular party allowed to vote. I guess now they'll just stop pretending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Reports the military is fighting back hard, Taksim Square is being strafed.

The attempts by Erdoganists to depict that its momentum had faltered, that it was all getting under control, was very premature and propaganda of a sort. Erdogan has no control whatsoever in Ankara
    Attempts of coup military (which we Turks believe as Gulenists, but some ppl aint going to accept them because Gulen is reported by non-Turkish media as a secularist, which he is not) have failed and life is getting back to normal. I hope all who support evil factions in Turkey can suck on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    So, it seems likely that now that the coup has failed, Turkey will become an increasingly autocratic state that will purge anyone opposed to Erdogan's policies. Which likely means less and less secularism, along with more and more "progress" towards a theocracy.

Not that it was very democratic anyway, with only members of a particular party allowed to vote. I guess now they'll just stop pretending.
    Well at least it is progressing democratically

No joke, this will be our current issue tho.

ReputationRep:
    What p******, so they surrender when they know there is no way they will get fair treatment in courts and neither should they traitorous scum

ReputationRep:
    The PM said that death penalty may be used and that 2800 soldiers have been arrested.

ReputationRep:
    Picture of the plotters:

ReputationRep:
    Some army officers claimed asylum in Greece. Seems over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Picture of the plotters:

Has any proof actually come out to substantiate the claim that these plotters were involved with or sympathetic to the Gulen movement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Has any proof actually come out to substantiate the claim that these plotters were involved with or sympathetic to the Gulen movement?
    I don't see Gulen allied with Kemalists. Erdogan is just involving him to justify further purges against Gulen's supporters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlifunArnab)
    Erdogan 1 - 0 Coup plotters

Sweet, sweet victory.
    Democracy has prevailed :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take you to be a supporter of democracy.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take you to be a supporter of democracy.
    :smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    The PM said that death penalty may be used and that 2800 soldiers have been arrested.
    Won't be suprised if the death penalty is used. Sadly, I expected the "government" to use it if the coup failed.

ReputationRep:
    :smug:
    Ah...I guess you only support coups when they are supported by America like the coup by Zia ul Haq in Pakistan?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Erdogan isn't going to be "democratic" in the repression.

ReputationRep:
    Ah...I guess you only support coups when they are supported by America like the coup by Zia ul Haq in Pakistan?
    :yep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    you're not very good at trying to get on my nerves btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.