Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    Oh I had an interview for Japanese in Cambridge today that went pretty badly.
    Was it because the questions they were asking difficult? (to state the obvious :o:) I went for an interview for Russian there and he was asking increasingly random and difficult questions - but apparently the more they push you the better you're doing... or something

On a more general note, I was planning to travel to Japan next year. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit (albeit I do have quite a lot in mind) and does anyone know where I can get cheap(er) plane tickets... perhaps asking the impossible! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yeees the questions were so hard. And they were challenging everything I said. They were totally :curious:ing at me the whole time though so I'm not going to get my hopes up. How do you think you did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaijin)
    Weird thing about the Minna no nihongo books was that I couldn't understand one of them because it was all written in kana!
    Hence the translation and grammar book..? o.o
    Besides, if you're serious about learning you don't wanna go getting into romanji habits, ね?

Also, don't you think よいおとしを would have been a more appropriate translation for Happy New Year seeing as she wants to write it in xmas cards, not say it on January 1st?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourr)
    Hence the translation and grammar book..? o.o
    Besides, if you're serious about learning you don't wanna go getting into romanji habits, ね?
    I actually don't want to get into the kana habit if truth be known. I'm now struggling trying to read books and magazine articles because Japanese people love to throw in normal words written in kanji and then kana (sometimes the same frigging word) purely for either stylistic purposes or to express some nuance that I have no fecking clue over.

Also, don't you think よいおとしを would have been a more appropriate translation for Happy New Year seeing as she wants to write it in xmas cards, not say it on January 1st?
    Oy, never thought of that. 多分、日本人の友達や知己などに慣れているでしょう。 うん、確かに 、去年先生に同じことって言われた。 Guess I never learn eh?

ReputationRep:
    Silly question, but how do you read Japanese? From left to right, right to left, in another way?
    That's my big mystery of the evening :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's left to right, but can sometimes be read vertically in more traditional texts!

ReputationRep:
    Okidoke, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Silly question, but how do you read Japanese? From left to right, right to left, in another way?
    That's my big mystery of the evening :p:
    Western style (i.e. written horizontally) - left to right.
    Japanese style (i.e. written vertically) - right to left.

Which is why you should always thumb through your lolicon manga at the last page rather than the first.

ReputationRep:
    I actually can't read and don't learn Japanese. I just read some random mangas if I ever find one, that was just pure curiosity, I was wondering if Arabic was the only language to be read right to left

ReputationRep:
    chinese might be :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I shall ask :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure Chinese is the same thing - written traditionally from right to left vertically, but left to right when written horizontally.

(Original post by LucyA)
    On a more general note, I was planning to travel to Japan next year. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit (albeit I do have quite a lot in mind) and does anyone know where I can get cheap(er) plane tickets... perhaps asking the impossible! :yep:
    Tokyo and Kyoto is a must - they show you very different aspect of Japan; the heart of modern Japan, contrasted with the ancient cultural centre of the country. You could also make a day trip to Kamakura from Tokyo to see the Great Buddha, or to Nikko (which I think is a world heritage site). Nara and Hiroshima are also definitely worth a visit. You could also make a day trip to see Himeji castle when you're in the Hiroshima/Kyoto area.

If you're into magnificent scenery there's also the Three Great Views (picked out in the 16/17th century iirc) - Matsushima islands in Miyagi, Miyajima islands in Hiroshima and Amano hashidate in Kyoto. Mt Fuji as well obviously.

No idea about cheap plane tickets... if you find any, give me a shout :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.gendai.co.uk/

Its mainly for Japanese people living in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourr)
    aww I've already given them out now, never mind! No one else knows the difference, anyway :rolleyes: I'll remember it for next time :yep: ありがとう!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    Yeees the questions were so hard. And they were challenging everything I said. They were totally :curious:ing at me the whole time though so I'm not going to get my hopes up. How do you think you did?
    I really am not sure, that's the thing. He gave no indication, other than smiling once or twice, that what I was saying was 'right' :no: But that doesn't necessarily mean anything, I suppose. The Spanish went a lot better, it just felt like it went well as I had spoken grammar tests and things so I could tell how it was going a bit better. So I really don't know what to expect :o:

(Original post by Excalibur)
    Tokyo and Kyoto is a must - they show you very different aspect of Japan; the heart of modern Japan, contrasted with the ancient cultural centre of the country. You could also make a day trip to Kamakura from Tokyo to see the Great Buddha, or to Nikko (which I think is a world heritage site). Nara and Hiroshima are also definitely worth a visit. You could also make a day trip to see Himeji castle when you're in the Hiroshima/Kyoto area.

If you're into magnificent scenery there's also the Three Great Views (picked out in the 16/17th century iirc) - Matsushima islands in Miyagi, Miyajima islands in Hiroshima and Amano hashidate in Kyoto. Mt Fuji as well obviously.
    Thanks a lot :yep: That is exactly what I want to do, see both the modern and the ancient (and some scenery along the way) and that is why I think it'll be such a great place to visit. I'll note these down somewhere so I don't forget!

ReputationRep:
    コンバンハ、U-Dawgと申します。出身は北海道だけど、今はイギリスに住んでるよ !
    half japanese from hokkaido nice to meet you guys! currently studying in england right now. so how is everyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U-Dawg)
    コンバンハ、U-Dawgと申します。出身は北海道だけど、今はイギリスに住んでるよ !
    half japanese from hokkaido nice to meet you guys! currently studying in england right now. so how is everyone?
    Didn't you say you were born in Urasoe though? Hence the 'U' in your name... I remember thinking this before...

Did you grow up in Hokkaido all your life though? That's quite a varied and unique background! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    みなさん、こんばんは!クリスマスです! :D
    昨日、友達は私に本を買いました...
    市川拓司の”いま、会いに行きます”です、いいですか?

argh my brain isn't working well enough to string together any coherent sentences this evening!!! It's too late Curse you, dictionary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaijin)
    Didn't you say you were born in Urasoe though? Hence the 'U' in your name... I remember thinking this before...

Did you grow up in Hokkaido all your life though? That's quite a varied and unique background! :eek:
    you remembered meee
    yeh my mother is from hokkaido, but i was born in urasoe. just checking if anyone remembered
    ひさしぶりねぇ~調子はどうですか?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    みなさん、こんばんは!クリスマスです! :D
    昨日、友達は私に本を買いました...
    市川拓司の”いい、会いに行きます”です、いいですか?

argh my brain isn't working well enough to string together any coherent sentences this evening!!! It's too late Curse you, dictionary!
    * 昨日、友達に本をあげられた - Yesterday I was given a book by my friend(s)

* Best to use the old 「」 when wanting to separate something. Japanese doesn't use speech marks.

* Also you need to use something like という in order to say the title of the book.

* 市川拓司によって、「いま、会いに行きます」という本だ 。 Its a book called 'ima ainiikimasu' by Takuji Ishikawa.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.