University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    How good are the results from your school?
    These were the third best I think? 40% pass rate, come from a really bad area (2-3 murders happened in a matter of a couple months). If my grade goes up then these would be the second best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm Trinity Maths too (For that person I'm not bothered to go back and tag)
    How many hours should I try to put in every week for my course (incl. lectures/supervisions)
    Are there rugby teams for each college or for the university as a whole and does anyone know how frequent training is?
    Also how often is rowing on each week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    These were the third best I think? 40% pass rate, come from a really bad area (2-3 murders happened in a matter of a couple months). If my grade goes up then these would be the second best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then your current grades are fine for applying, as would your remarked grades. You just need to focus on acing your maths AS levels now. We've got someone from a bad neighbourhood here with not just one, but two offers from Cambridge with something like 2 A*'s, 1/2 A's and B's and C's.

ReputationRep:
    Then your current grades are fine for applying, as would your remarked grades. You just need to focus on acing your maths AS levels now. We've got someone from a bad neighbourhood here with not just one, but two offers from Cambridge with something like 2 A*'s, 1/2 A's and B's and C's.
    Oh thanks for replying! I couldn't stop crying the whole day ahaha.
    Yh im planning on doing really well for my A Levels and not become complacent. It's my last chance. How would Cambridge know that I got (lets just be safe and say) the top 5 best grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yh im planning on doing really well for my A Levels and not become complacent. It's my last chance. How would Cambridge know that I got (lets just be safe and say) the top 5 best grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. They know that your school doesn't perform very well and it's in a bad place. It'll be taken into consideration .

2. Make sure your teacher explicitly says it in your reference. **** top 5 and just make your teacher put "top in year" if you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingRS)
    I'm Trinity Maths too (For that person I'm not bothered to go back and tag)
    How many hours should I try to put in every week for my course (incl. lectures/supervisions)
    Are there rugby teams for each college or for the university as a whole and does anyone know how frequent training is?
    Also how often is rowing on each week?
    Afaik every college (except a few of female colleges) have their own rugby team.
    Not too sure how often they practice.
    I think there's an audition/trial to join the university's team, but to be frank, inter-college sports is a bigger thing at Cambridge than university vs other unis.

For rowing, the first boat in general train 5 times a week at least (either in a gym in their boat house or on the river in their boat), at least one of them on a weekend. For lower boats they usually train less times, like 3 times a week or so.
    But this is 'in general' and can vary from college to college, which boat you're in and sometimes other factors, like if they have a race coming soon or not.

ReputationRep:
    1. They know that your school doesn't perform very well and it's in a bad place. It'll be taken into consideration .

2. Make sure your teacher explicitly says it in your reference. **** top 5 and just make your teacher put "top in year" if you can.
    Ok and my last teacher left without making a reference so I don't really have one? How do I get a teacher to make me a reference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Can I PM you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok and my last teacher left without making a reference so I don't really have one? How do I get a teacher to make me a reference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Choose a teacher who knows you and has a good relationship with you and ask them to write a reference for you. You're thinking about all of this too early, it'll all be explained to you later on in the year when it comes to actually applying. Enjoy your summer off, get your remarks, know that you've got a good shot at an application either way. Forget about applying for now and just focus on your summer and then your AS-levels and then on applying.

Also, keep in mind that having Cambridge as such a set goal now might not be the best idea, it's really not the be all and end all, it's not for everybody and everybody is not for it, you'll see whether it really is suitable for you in a years time.

ReputationRep:
    We've got someone from a bad neighbourhood here with not just one, but two offers from Cambridge with something like 2 A*'s, 1/2 A's and B's and C's.
    I'm not sure they were even that high...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can I PM you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    *shrugs* I'd rather you did everything on the thread, but if there's something you're uncomfortable sharing in public, go ahead.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They use a lot of contextual information:
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ontextual-data

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *shrugs* I'd rather you did everything on the thread, but if there's something you're uncomfortable sharing in public, go ahead.
    Haha oh ok. Sorry I saw this after I PMed you but will ask any further questions here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I'm not sure they were even that high...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh wow! Lucky him/her. Must be an amazing applicant

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the link!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    physicsmaths nah he's actually a ****

ReputationRep:
    physicsmaths nah he's actually a ****
    Ohhh it's him! Yh seen him on here. Was wishing he did really well! Ahaha I'm sure he isn't

Congrats physicsmaths for your offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh it's him! Yh seen him on here. Was wishing he did really well! Ahaha I'm sure he isn't

Congrats physicsmaths for your offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offers*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbh i was great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Offers*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Harsh.

But fair.

Looks like you'll do well at Cambridge.

Your GCSEs are fine and not actually that important for maths. Much more important will be your Y12 Maths, and then the joys of STEP...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.