The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha_tah)
    Hello everyone im new on this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Welcome! Feel free to introduce yourself

(Original post by buzzyambee)
    I have soooo much coursework to finish. It's so exhausting :/
    I know it can be :/ Take frequent breaks, and spread the workload out over time. Don't leave the coursework to the last minute, since that can make things far more stressful. If you're really struggling, talk to your teachers for assistance, they'll be able to give you some help/give you assistance at lunchtimes etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Welcome! Feel free to introduce yourself

I know it can be :/ Take frequent breaks, and spread the workload out over time. Don't leave the coursework to the last minute, since that can make things far more stressful. If you're really struggling, talk to your teachers for assistance, they'll be able to give you some help/give you assistance at lunchtimes etc.
    Yeah so everyone here calls me Tasha. ..n I'm currently doing my gcses

I'm doing 10 gcses n I just thought it'd be great to meet others on here who r also in the same position as me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    Haha, my class also has four ppl in it! (But then, it's an online class, so the size numbers only go up to 8 anyway!) I'm using a textbook, yh; I think it's spec A.
    I'm guessing by your username, you're a bit of a music person? Bc I am, too! Do you play any instruments?
    We use the Cambridge Latin Course books.
    Yep, I'm a bit of a music geek! I play clarinet (K.622 was Mozart's clarinet concerto, I couldn't resist a music pun in my username), and I'm teaching myself saxophone.
    I'm attempting my grade 5 theory in september so I can do my next practical exam.
    What instrument do you play, do you do grades too? I like your username by the way! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha_tah)
    Yeah so everyone here calls me Tasha. ..n I'm currently doing my gcses

I'm doing 10 gcses n I just thought it'd be great to meet others on here who r also in the same position as me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Tasha!

I'm doing 9 GCSEs this year (inc. Triple Science, RS, French and History), having done 1 in Year 10 (IT) and 1 in Year 9 (Citizenship). What GCSE options did you take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusiK.622)
    We use the Cambridge Latin Course books.
    Yep, I'm a bit of a music geek! I play clarinet (K.622 was Mozart's clarinet concerto, I couldn't resist a music pun in my username), and I'm teaching myself saxophone.
    I'm attempting my grade 5 theory in september so I can do my next practical exam.
    What instrument do you play, do you do grades too? I like your username by the way! ^_^
    Oh, for Latin we're also using CLC (and the set texts)...
    Yay, fellow music geek! *high-five* And good luck with the grade 5 theory
    I play the piano, taught by my dad. I'm hoping (if I do tonnes of practise between now and the end of September, by which point we'll need to decide if I should) to take grade 7 in November! It sounds rly scary, tho... xp
    Yh, I chose my username bc I like music (hence "treble") and also bees (hence "bee"). Nice pun, btw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    Oh, for Latin we're also using CLC (and the set texts)...
    Yay, fellow music geek! *high-five* And good luck with the grade 5 theory
    I play the piano, taught by my dad. I'm hoping (if I do tonnes of practise between now and the end of September, by which point we'll need to decide if I should) to take grade 7 in November! It sounds rly scary, tho... xp
    Yh, I chose my username bc I like music (hence "treble" and also bees (hence "bee". Nice pun, btw!
    Wow, grade 7 does sound scary!! :eek: But if you practice loads you'll be fine And since your dad teaches you piano then you can always ask him for help!
    Good luck for November!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, new to the thread. I'm beanzz.
    I'm taking:
    English Language + Lit (AQA)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Religious Studies (Edexcel)
    German (Edexcel)
    Triple Science (AQA)
    History (Edexcel)
    ICT (WJEC)

BTEC Art (Edexcel)

I'm dreading English this year and right now art makes me want to die 👍. Hoping to take Chemistry and Biology at A-level and stuck between picking the other two. Want to be a dietitian? Hopefully study at Uni of Nottingham or King's College London (although ££££). I also really enjoy art (despite aforementioned dying). Am also head of yearbook committee this year - I was not ready to put this much effort into year 11 hah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanzz)
    Hey, new to the thread. I'm beanzz.
    I'm taking:
    English Language + Lit (AQA)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Religious Studies (Edexcel)
    German (Edexcel)
    Triple Science (AQA)
    History (Edexcel)
    ICT (WJEC)

BTEC Art (Edexcel)

I'm dreading English this year and right now art makes me want to die 👍. Hoping to take Chemistry and Biology at A-level and stuck between picking the other two. Want to be a dietitian? Hopefully study at Uni of Nottingham or King's College London (although ££££). I also really enjoy art (despite aforementioned dying). Am also head of yearbook committee this year - I was not ready to put this much effort into year 11 hah
    Hey, welcome to the thread!

How are you finding English? What about it are you dreading? Is it the spec you're finding intimidating, or something else? Well, I can't really offer any advice because I'm WJEC for English Language and Literature, but we're all kind of in the same boat, I guess; we're all the first year group to be graded via the new mark scheme, after all.

You're the only other person I've seen who's studying WJEC I.C.T. What route are you? I'm Route B, and I really enjoy it. I.C.T is currently my favourite subject as it's a break from all the other academic subjects. You may not enjoy I.C.T, and that's fine of course. I'm just curious to see how you find the subject.

See you around!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just Some Person)
    Hey, welcome to the thread!

How are you finding English? What about it are you dreading? Is it the spec you're finding intimidating, or something else? Well, I can't really offer any advice because I'm WJEC for English Language and Literature, but we're all kind of in the same boat, I guess; we're all the first year group to be graded via the new mark scheme, after all.

You're the only other person I've seen who's studying WJEC I.C.T. What route are you? I'm Route B, and I really enjoy it. I.C.T is currently my favourite subject as it's a break from all the other academic subjects. You may not enjoy I.C.T, and that's fine of course. I'm just curious to see how you find the subject.

See you around!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi (::

I've consistently got good grades in English, I've just found it dull since Year 10. I think it's all well and good finding and analysing quotes in lessons, but during exams it doesn't feel the same, y'know? Also creative writing is the most intimidating thing, I think. How are you finding the new mark scheme?

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I have no idea what routes you're talking about. Our teacher hasn't said anything about routes? I'm generally indifferent about ICT - we completed units 2 and 4 in year 10, and just started unit 1 yesterday. I really don't mind it, but it's definitely not my favourite. Did your school do it the same way (coursework first)?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to be study buddies? I need motivation haha
    (I do aqa Spanish, aqa geography, aqa English lit and Lang, edexcel maths, ocr triple science and edexcel Religious education)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanzz)
    Hi (::

I've consistently got good grades in English, I've just found it dull since Year 10. I think it's all well and good finding and analysing quotes in lessons, but during exams it doesn't feel the same, y'know? Also creative writing is the most intimidating thing, I think. How are you finding the new mark scheme?

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I have no idea what routes you're talking about. Our teacher hasn't said anything about routes? I'm generally indifferent about ICT - we completed units 2 and 4 in year 10, and just started unit 1 yesterday. I really don't mind it, but it's definitely not my favourite. Did your school do it the same way (coursework first)?
    English Language is okay for me I suppose, but English Literature is slightly daunting at the moment. I totally understand your comment about the exam environment; though I've never really felt like that in an exam, I know that pressure can sometimes get the better of us. The new mark scheme is a bit intimidating; it's harder to get the top grades so students are going to be more competitive. However, I know we will smash it. I believe in everyone on this thread. :awesome:

As for I.C.T...some WJEC subjects (History and Geography, for example) offer different routes. Both routes have different specifications. I'm Spec/Route B for Geography, History and I.C.T. Route A has a different specification to Route B. I'm a bit crap at explaining things so I apologise if that doesn't make any sense.

My school is slightly different to yours. We did Unit 1: Understanding I.C.T (theory) and the Unit 2 coursework in Year 10. We did the Unit 2 coursework first and started on the Unit 1 stuff in March. I sat the Unit 1 paper in May and got an A overall for Year 10. So happy!

This year, we'll be completing the coursework for Unit 4 first and starting on the theory for Unit 3; the same way we did it in Year 10. As you've just started the theory, I'd like to wish you luck for both of your I.C.T papers this year. You'll ace them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm jayda.
    My hobbies are playing piano and singing.
    My GCSEs are:
    English
    Maths
    Triple science( chemistry, biology and physics)
    Music
    Psychology
    Spanish
    History
    My Maths and English exam board is AQA and my science exam board is Edexcel.
    I am really enjoying year 11 but due to the new GCSEs it's so hard to know what to do, we're all just kinda making it up as we go along because there's no practice papers yet so we're revising the old spec.
    My favourite subject is History(hate my teacher though)
    I really want to be a lawyer in America but if Trump is president then no way....
    So right now I would rather be an investment banker or something along those lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patriciaanne)
    Anyone want to be study buddies? I need motivation haha
    (I do aqa Spanish, aqa geography, aqa English lit and Lang, edexcel maths, ocr triple science and edexcel Religious education)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just finished my RS last year, I got an A*!! I could help you revise???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone PM me whoever did AQA english?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay_labelle)
    I just finished my RS last year, I got an A*!! I could help you revise???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey!
    Congrats on your A*.

Can you give me like advice on how to revise for rs? What did you do and have you got any like resources?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    Can someone PM me whoever did AQA english?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, I do AQA English

ReputationRep:
    English Language is okay for me I suppose, but English Literature is slightly daunting at the moment. I totally understand your comment about the exam environment; though I've never really felt like that in an exam, I know that pressure can sometimes get the better of us. The new mark scheme is a bit intimidating; it's harder to get the top grades so students are going to be more competitive. However, I know we will smash it. I believe in everyone on this thread. :awesome:

As for I.C.T...some WJEC subjects (History and Geography, for example) offer different routes. Both routes have different specifications. I'm Spec/Route B for Geography, History and I.C.T. Route A has a different specification to Route B. I'm a bit crap at explaining things so I apologise if that doesn't make any sense.

My school is slightly different to yours. We did Unit 1: Understanding I.C.T (theory) and the Unit 2 coursework in Year 10. We did the Unit 2 coursework first and started on the Unit 1 stuff in March. I sat the Unit 1 paper in May and got an A overall for Year 10. So happy!

This year, we'll be completing the coursework for Unit 4 first and starting on the theory for Unit 3; the same way we did it in Year 10. As you've just started the theory, I'd like to wish you luck for both of your I.C.T papers this year. You'll ace them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unseen poetry sounds awful, but we haven't had a go at it yet at school. Here's to hoping.
    That makes sense, but I'd have no idea which route I'm on. I'll have to ask my teacher next lesson - had a look on the WJEC website, but didn't see anything on ICT routes.
    Well done on your A!!! Sort of wish we'd have done it like you. We're still waiting for our coursework grades, but should get them in the next few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm Pearl! I like writing, reading and listening to music. I'm taking ten GCSEs as follows:
    English language and literature (AQA)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Biology (OCR)
    Chemistry (OCR)
    Physics (AQA)
    History (AQA)
    French (AQA)
    Spanish (AQA)
    RS (OCR)
    I'm not ready for year 11 at all since I still only feel about 11 years old!! I'm worried for the new GCSEs since I struggle enough with maths as it is so the new 'harder' GCSE isn't exactly going to work in my favour. As for English, I'm concerned about not having the texts in front of us during the exams since I don't know how I'm going to remember all those quotations alongside all the other revision I'll have to do. I guess my favourite subject would be history although I also like languages, English is ok too but the analysis can get pretty boring. I have absolutely no idea what my dream career would be! (:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find English language much more daunting than English lit. I actually find lit alright , but the sheer amount of content that we need to know by heart is ridiculous! How do you revise for English language?

ReputationRep:
    What marks is everyone getting in the Maths papers? And how do you guys revise for it?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.