The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying to medicine post A levels this year due to 4 rejections last year, and I'm just wondering whether my application is realistic or not (depending on BMAT obviously)

GCSEs: 6A*s, 2As, 1B
AS levels: 4As (Bio, chem, maths, geography), 94% ums average
A levels: 2A*s (Bio & chem) , 1A (maths - missed out on an A* by a few UMS, but have over 90% ums overall) and a B in geography.
EPQ: A*

I have a good amount of relevant work experience and volunteering

Thanks for your time!
Original post by Fbiemad
Hello,

I applied on Monday and I did tell my college to fill an EC form, but I am not sure if they actually did or not, since all they asked was: "What affected your exams?" and I said the medical term for it and they said they will include it. Therefore, I dont know whether they actually mentioned it not (will ask tomorrow) and also I dont know if they explained the condition well, since they didnt ask me how it affected my exams and all that (I dont know what the form looks like, so are they expected to explain the situation?)

Also, if now I want to get my doctor to write the EC form, can I still add it to my UCAS?

Thanks for the help :smile:

Are you using the Cambridge ECF? It's nothing to do with UCAS.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form
Original post by jneill
Are you using the Cambridge ECF? It's nothing to do with UCAS.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

oh ok, thank you!
Then how am I supposed to show it to my other universities? Do they all have specific forms like Cambridge?
Original post by Fbiemad
oh ok, thank you!
Then how am I supposed to show it to my other universities? Do they all have specific forms like Cambridge?

That form is only for Cambridge's use.

Other universities may have something similar.
e.g. Bristol
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/applicants/applied/extenuating-circumstances/
Hi Dr Spencer,

I'm applying for Natural Sciences, and I'm filling in my SAQ. I have to specify whether I want to do physical or biological natural sciences.

If I put down physical natural sciences, am I tied to that? If I got an offer, would I only be able to do physical pathways, or could I change to a biological pathway on arrival?

Cheers, Josh
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Hello and thanks for your questions. 1) The only specimen papers are those on the website, no others have been or will be released. Contrary to my earlier understanding, students will be awarded individual marks for the different parts of Section 1 (on a scale of 1.0 to 9.0) and similarly in Section 2 (though on a different scale). None of these marks will be released to the candidates automatically.

2) Your CIE PUMS are not hugely strong by traditional standards in Nat Sci so you will need to perform well in other aspects of the application to be a competitive candidate.

Best of luck with the application.

Thank you so much for the reply! I will do my best:h:
Original post by Fbiemad
Hello,

I applied on Monday and I did tell my college to fill an EC form, but I am not sure if they actually did or not, since all they asked was: "What affected your exams?" and I said the medical term for it and they said they will include it. Therefore, I dont know whether they actually mentioned it not (will ask tomorrow) and also I dont know if they explained the condition well, since they didnt ask me how it affected my exams and all that (I dont know what the form looks like, so are they expected to explain the situation?)

Also, if now I want to get my doctor to write the EC form, can I still add it to my UCAS?

Thanks for the help :smile:

@jneill has provided the web address for the form and pointed out that this is Cambridge specific and not provided to UCAS. You can get you doctor to send one instead if you like. Just email the college you've applied to to say that this will supersede the form from school.
For the topics covered section on the SAQ, for A level maths is it ok to just put the titles of the units e.g. C1, C2, M1 (as I am sure the university knows the content of these to some degree) or should I go for a more in depth explanation of what is actually in the modules, as in other subjects?
Hi Dr Spencer! It’s me again. Thanks for the first reply. I’ve remembered some extra questions from yesterday.

My chemistry teacher from last year was not quite good, his two class had a lower average by 10% compared to others. Parents and students complained but nothing happened. And before our exam we had little practical experience in the lab too. So I did most of the learning all by myself and even bought equipments and chemicals and practiced my paper 3 (practical) at home. So amongst our school this year our chemistry grades were lower than before… Would admissions look at the applicant's school’s over-all performance? Or should I include this in my application too? I’m not sure if this is self-taught or not.

With the change in the syllabus this year, my score of 88 is the highest in my school already. So again would admissions look at the applicant's school’s over-all performance? I’m concerned because I want to apply for biology and the UMS isn’t strong.

Lastly, for the NSAA, your reply was REALLY helpful, but I want still want to ask, will different subject combinations in the 2 sections be looked at differently? Or would admissions just add up the scales for sections no matter what combination an applicant choose?

Thanks so much! I’m sorry to trouble you again
Original post by Boople
I'm applying to medicine post A levels this year due to 4 rejections last year, and I'm just wondering whether my application is realistic or not (depending on BMAT obviously)

GCSEs: 6A*s, 2As, 1B
AS levels: 4As (Bio, chem, maths, geography), 94% ums average
A levels: 2A*s (Bio & chem) , 1A (maths - missed out on an A* by a few UMS, but have over 90% ums overall) and a B in geography.
EPQ: A*

I have a good amount of relevant work experience and volunteering

Thanks for your time!

Hello and thanks for your question and the information. Your application is realistic certainly but you will need to bear in mind that most successful medics enter Cambridge with 3 or more A*s.
Original post by joshb3399
Hi Dr Spencer,

I'm applying for Natural Sciences, and I'm filling in my SAQ. I have to specify whether I want to do physical or biological natural sciences.

If I put down physical natural sciences, am I tied to that? If I got an offer, would I only be able to do physical pathways, or could I change to a biological pathway on arrival?

Cheers, Josh

Hello Josh and thank you fr your question. No, you aren't tied to any particular pathway within Nat Sci - you can take any of the Part IA options for which you have the relevant A Levels or equivalent. This will tell you which options require what. The division between physical and biological is for admissions, so that we can assign you to appropriate interviewers who will focus on the general areas of your interest (Maths, Physics and Chemistry for Physical Sciences; Biology and Chemistry for Biological Sciences).
Original post by k.russell
For the topics covered section on the SAQ, for A level maths is it ok to just put the titles of the units e.g. C1, C2, M1 (as I am sure the university knows the content of these to some degree) or should I go for a more in depth explanation of what is actually in the modules, as in other subjects?

Yes, that's fine.
Original post by Cheryl____C
Hi Dr Spencer! It’s me again. Thanks for the first reply. I’ve remembered some extra questions from yesterday.

My chemistry teacher from last year was not quite good, his two class had a lower average by 10% compared to others. Parents and students complained but nothing happened. And before our exam we had little practical experience in the lab too. So I did most of the learning all by myself and even bought equipments and chemicals and practiced my paper 3 (practical) at home. So amongst our school this year our chemistry grades were lower than before… Would admissions look at the applicant's school’s over-all performance? Or should I include this in my application too? I’m not sure if this is self-taught or not.

With the change in the syllabus this year, my score of 88 is the highest in my school already. So again would admissions look at the applicant's school’s over-all performance? I’m concerned because I want to apply for biology and the UMS isn’t strong.

Lastly, for the NSAA, your reply was REALLY helpful, but I want still want to ask, will different subject combinations in the 2 sections be looked at differently? Or would admissions just add up the scales for sections no matter what combination an applicant choose?

Thanks so much! I’m sorry to trouble you again

1) There is a box on the SAQ which allows one to discuss any teaching difficulties you may have encountered and this would be a good place to mention these problems.

2) Yes, we look at a school's overall performance but we only have really robust data on this for schools in England as outside England it is not published. you may, therefore, wish to get your school to mention your performance in the context of the school in the reference.

3) I'm glad it was helpful. I'm not sure what you mean by will subject combinations be looked at differently? The difficulty of the different subjects is designed to be similar across the various subjects so you won't be advantaged or disadvantaged by choosing a particular combination.
Reply 513
How is the Natural Sciences course assessed? The website only states 'written assessments' and it would be useful to know exactly what kind. Essay based?
Hello again TSR. My name is Dr Andrew Spencer and I am the Admissions Tutor at Murray Edwards College in Cambridge. Welcome to my tenth Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, this time in my new guise as Murray Edwards Admissions. The @Christ's Admissions profile, which I ran for the last three years, will continue under my successor but for the next month before the application deadline for Cambridge, I'll be answering your questions here so please fire away.

Hello Dr Spencer, and thank you for hosting this very useful forum! My daughter began her IB course with 4H and 2S to keep her options open For a while,then during the first year switched one of the H to S so she will be examined in the usual combination of 3H and 3S. Does this need to be mentioned in her SAQ, given that it was only the case for a short while? The section about class size and topics asks for levels, but also assumes whole years at each level. Thanks for any clarification.
Original post by Katy888
How is the Natural Sciences course assessed? The website only states 'written assessments' and it would be useful to know exactly what kind. Essay based?

It is mainly assessed through examinations, though practicals do form part of the overall assessment. The exams do not usually involve essays but are individual scientific or mathematical problems that candidates need to solve. The more they solve and the further they get in each question, the more marks they receive.
Original post by Magnificat7
Hello Dr Spencer, and thank you for hosting this very useful forum! My daughter began her IB course with 4H and 2S to keep her options open For a while,then during the first year switched one of the H to S so she will be examined in the usual combination of 3H and 3S. Does this need to be mentioned in her SAQ, given that it was only the case for a short while? The section about class size and topics asks for levels, but also assumes whole years at each level. Thanks for any clarification.

Thanks for your question. I don;t think that she needs to mention it specifically. The class size she should give is for the SL class in the subject where she switched from HL to SL.
@jneill has provided the web address for the form and pointed out that this is Cambridge specific and not provided to UCAS. You can get you doctor to send one instead if you like. Just email the college you've applied to to say that this will supersede the form from school.

Thanks.
I asked my college and they said they forgot to mention it, as I was guessing. I saw the link Jneill sent for the EC Form, but I have few questions about it.

Firstly, do I have to email the form to my Cambridge college or post it?
Secondly, in the form it just says to mention the name of the doctor/teacher, so how do universities validate them?
Lastly, do I have to send it to Cambridge or is the NHS doctor supposed to send it?

Thanks once again!
(edited 7 years ago)
All the answers in this thread are very helpful and reassuring, thank you! Just a question about submitting written work as part of the application process - I assume the college we have applied to will contact us requesting it? If so, do you know roughly when this will be?

Thanks! :smile:
Hi, in the case of extenuating circumstances affecting the family which the school does not know much about (I PM'd you about our specific family circumstances) is it any good for us as parents to complete the form or does it need to come from the school? The former head of our daughter's school knew all about her circumstances as we had to go into detail in the appeal which we had to go through to get her into the school, but the current staff may know little about it. Her loss of school time occurred before she joined the school.

Latest

Trending

Trending