Which Unis should I apply to for Economics FAQ: The Econ uni Application Guide Watch

MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
paulwhy would you advise me to apply for oxford's course with a B in economics AS level
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK)
im thinking of applying to economics and if i do apply i wiil try for nottingham(economics and econometrics), Bath, manchester, southampton and birmingham.
Ive got 3A* 7A's and 2C's AT GCSE. 3 A's and a B in maths, history, politics and econonomics respectively and looking to drop politics and pick up further maths at AS next year. Should be predicited 3A's and an A in further maths AS. Are my choices reasonable?
Weaknesses
i)3 GCSE A*s
ii)3 A-levels

Neutral
i)Maths A-level
ii) Economics A-level
iii) 5 AS-levels
iv) AS FM

Not sure why you applying to Manchester. i.e as we discused elsewhere I don't rate it highly c.f. Southampton and Birmingham.
Southampton, Birmingham and manchester will all give you offers. So if you can work out which you want as your insurance choice before applying then you can avoid wasting 2 of your 5 UCAS slots.

Some chances in the TAELT top 11. I would suggest 1 AAB.2.1 and 4 above that.

paulwhy would you advise me to apply for oxford's course with a B in economics AS level
If Oxford is your bliss uni then having it as 1 of your choices would make sense.
Summer of 69
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Joy Division)
BSc (ie more mathematical) is usually the more attractive to financial services employers. Work hard and get good grades then you won't have to worry about going to Leeds.
Hey, thanks for that
And ahh if only it was just 3A's you needed to get into top unis
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PGtips92)
Hi Paul. Is this choice too "aggressive" (or not aggressive enough)?
- Oxford
- Warwick
- Bristol
- Nottingham
- Birmingham

I think I'll have a decent enough PS, and grades in profile.

Thanks very much
Can you post in a new thread as this thread is getting 'messy'.
i.e. lots of interleaving discussions of different peoples situations.

Thanks
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Weaknesses
i)3 GCSE A*s
ii)3 A-levels

Neutral
i)Maths A-level
ii) Economics A-level
iii) 5 AS-levels
iv) AS FM

Not sure why you applying to Manchester. i.e as we discused elsewhere I don't rate it highly c.f. Southampton and Birmingham.
Southampton, Birmingham and manchester will all give you offers. So if you can work out which you want as your insurance choice before applying then you can avoid wasting 2 of your 5 UCAS slots.

Some chances in the TAELT top 11. I would suggest 1 AAB.2.1 and 4 above that.

If Oxford is your bliss uni then having it as 1 of your choices would make sense.
ok with regards to manchester i dont really see why you dont rate the bsc course. Manchester has a higher research quality than birmingham and im sure how research intensive a department will help its reputation also manchester average ucas points for econ is higher slightly and that will be taking into account all the BA students which would bring it down. Also until very recent manchester bsc has had a higher entry requirement. The only thing birmingham seem to have is good league table rankings and a lot of that is based on student satisfaction which i am not to bother about...
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ok with regards to manchester i dont really see why you dont rate the bsc course. Manchester has a higher research quality than birmingham and im sure how research intensive a department will help its reputation also manchester average ucas points for econ is higher slightly and that will be taking into account all the BA students which would bring it down. Also until very recent manchester bsc has had a higher entry requirement. The only thing birmingham seem to have is good league table rankings and a lot of that is based on student satisfaction which i am not to bother about...
this is where you have some confusion - higher entry requirements =/= better standard of university.

eg. Warwick offer AAB/AABb/AABB and Durham offer AAA, yet Warwick is clearly better for Economics than Durham
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
this is where you have some confusion - higher entry requirements =/= better standard of university.

eg. Warwick offer AAB/AABb/AABB and Durham offer AAA, yet Warwick is clearly better for Economics than Durham
this may be truee but i was just using those points to argue what has birmingham got over manchester.
roosel4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello, the GCSE grade boundaries have been released today and I have a quick question about maths. I was predicted an A*, but an A* this year is going to be 88%, far higher than most expected, and I don't think I got that. Would an A at GCSE maths hinter my chances at Uni's such as Bristol, or will an A/A* at a level shadow the grade?

Thanks.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
And why have you got Manchester, Southampton and Birmingham?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And why have you got Manchester, Southampton and Birmingham?
For some reason i thought manchester was better than southamton and birmingham..
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
For some reason i thought manchester was better than southamton and birmingham..
But all 3 will gives you offers. And then you will accept the Manchester offer and what use then are the Southampton and Birmingham offers to you?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But all 3 will gives you offers. And then you will accept the Manchester offer and what use then are the Southampton and Birmingham offers to you?
lol thats the thing i cant be sure i will get all offers. Now im thinking bath, nottingham, southampton , birmingham and oxford or durham...
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But all 3 will gives you offers.
you can never be sure about that
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol thats the thing i cant be sure i will get all offers. Now im thinking bath, nottingham, southampton , birmingham and oxford or durham...
Are you confident that AAB is the lowest you're likely to fall come results day?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
Are you confident that AAB is the lowest you're likely to fall come results day?
i heard southampton do a ABBb offer as i will be doing 3 A levels and an AS ...
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
maybe so i'm not to sure about that but maybe it's true.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
paul why im sure ive seen somewhere that you studied undergraduate maths, if so which one out of economics and maths do you find more interesting. Even though at the moment im leaning towards a straight economics degree, i always think to my self that i will get bored if there isnt enough maths in it and there may be too much theory and just reading. On the other hand i think single maths may get a bit dry and i may also get bored. Obviously i thought the solution would be a joint honours containing maths and economics but my parents have told me that joint honours arent as respected as much even if it is making the degree more quantitative. Overall i am just wondering at university will some economics modules such as econometrics be purely about solving equations/problems or will the maths just be a by product of trying finding answers to economic questions/problems??
Zhang1
Report 9 years ago
joy division. i got As in economics and biology and Bs in maths and chemistry.
BUT am predicted A*AA the A* being in economics. Im gonna work hard to get maths up to an A* with resits and stuff..
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
you can never be sure about that
I would be hugely surpirsed if they did not.

Yes you could have Southampton (ABBb) supporting manchester (AAB).
And Birmingham?
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Obviously i thought the solution would be a joint honours containing maths and economics but my parents have told me that joint honours arent as respected as much even if it is making the degree more quantitative.
I wouldn't listen to your parents in this regard. Joint honours degrees are in no way less respected than single honours. Often you can go onto postgraduate study in either discipline, and you can go into employment since often employers aren't that focused on the actual degree in question.

Even though at the moment im leaning towards a straight economics degree, i always think to my self that i will get bored if there isnt enough maths in it and there may be too much theory and just reading. On the other hand i think single maths may get a bit dry and i may also get bored. [...] Overall i am just wondering at university will some economics modules such as econometrics be purely about solving equations/problems or will the maths just be a by product of trying finding answers to economic questions/problems??
Well, economics is often viewed as an applied mathematics degree, but at the same time the focus is on understanding the problem at hand and not simply being able to solve it mathematically.

Have you looked at what economics actually covers at undergraduate level? As in looked at lecture notes and exams?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Do you have any savings?