Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    For Harvard you should use page numbers in text, unless you're referring to the whole text in general in which case you don't need them anywhere.

Cite them right is a book by palgrave which I've found invaluable when it comes to referencing. Many unis have it as a core text and use it for all their standards of marking referencing.

It is annoying that you were told wrong and it definitely shouldn't have happened. I'd consider challenging it if it were undergrad, but since you got 61 on a pgce I'd probably not bother!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've looked up cite it right this evening actually. We have online access. Very useful!

I've never had problems with referencing at undergrad. I used harvard and always put page numbers. I'd probably have failed my essays at undergrad with no page numbers! When I came to my pgce uni and my tutor said page numbers weren't needed I was thrilled! That is what takes me the time. It did seem too good to be true. I am annoyed that we were told wrong, and like you said, ar undergrad I'd have complained. I'm fine with my mark though.

Sadly, I'd submitted an essay this afternoon, one hour before I got my feedback. No page numbers. Oh well, I'm not blaming myself for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    All this talk of people working hard etc. sort of makes me feel guilty for my half term week spent doing nothing. I handed in a 5,000 word essay the week before and don't have another due until after christmas and don't start my second placement until Monday so I've been using the time to lie-in, catch up with friends and generally relaxed. I'm sure next week will come as a bit of a shock to the system!

I'm off to an inner-city all-girls comprehensive with behavioural problems, coming from an all-boys grammar where behaviour wasn't much of an issue, so I'm expecting it to be a challenge at first. Not looking forward to the all girls side of things as I'm a 22 year old guy who looks about 12, so I'm expecting to have to fight for respect quite a lot. I'm looking forward to it, but only because I know if I hate it I only have 3 months to get through...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    All this talk of people working hard etc. sort of makes me feel guilty for my half term week spent doing nothing. I handed in a 5,000 word essay the week before and don't have another due until after christmas and don't start my second placement until Monday so I've been using the time to lie-in, catch up with friends and generally relaxed. I'm sure next week will come as a bit of a shock to the system!

I'm off to an inner-city all-girls comprehensive with behavioural problems, coming from an all-boys grammar where behaviour wasn't much of an issue, so I'm expecting it to be a challenge at first. Not looking forward to the all girls side of things as I'm a 22 year old guy who looks about 12, so I'm expecting to have to fight for respect quite a lot. I'm looking forward to it, but only because I know if I hate it I only have 3 months to get through...
    Never feel guilty for not doing work. I'm an NQT and I've done work only on 2 days of the half term. Refuse to spend any more of my time thinking about school! You need the break!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)

I'm sort of the same. I spent two days on an essay and apart from that nothing. I think it's because I start my placement on Monday too. We haven't got marking and lessons to plan over half term!

Enjoy it - it is the calm before the storm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I'm sort of the same. I spent two days on an essay and apart from that nothing. I think it's because I start my placement on Monday too. We haven't got marking and lessons to plan over half term!

Enjoy it - it is the calm before the storm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been exactly the same. Two days of essay writing but nothing else. I've been out on my boat today instead of writing lesson plans. Oops!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I've been exactly the same. Two days of essay writing but nothing else. I've been out on my boat today instead of writing lesson plans. Oops!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds lovely! Very jealous

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done much work over this half term either. I start my full time teaching practice on Monday not sure how I feel about it.

ReputationRep:
    I've done nothing this half tern hols. Have focused on me for a change! Looking after yourself takes practice too so never feel guilty about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I haven't done much work over this half term either. I start my full time teaching practice on Monday not sure how I feel about it.
    So you're staying on the course? Have you sorted things out? X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    So you're staying on the course? Have you sorted things out? X
    So far. Apprently things have been sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So far. Apprently things have been sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am so glad to hear this!!!! How do you feel?

I have been having such a good time this placement (so far, knock on wood!). I have actually felt like a proper teacher. Desperate to get a job and get my own room and things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peony flowers)
    I am so glad to hear this!!!! How do you feel?

I have been having such a good time this placement (so far, knock on wood!). I have actually felt like a proper teacher. Desperate to get a job and get my own room and things.
    Im not sure really, Im kind of expecting something to happen to mess it up again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow I start placement full time and I'm so excited that I could possibly explode

(Original post by alabelle)
    That sounds lovely! Very jealous
    Only issue is now that I know how to start her up and take her out, it's all I want to do. Don't think I'll get much work done trundling around on the boat tbh!

Im not sure really, Im kind of expecting something to happen to mess it up again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm so glad to hear that they got things sorted for you! I know it's hard but try and stay positive and hopefully it'll all go okay from here. As long as you can get your hours, half the battle is won.

ReputationRep:
    So this is the big chunk coming up for me now. 6 weeks worth of placement 2 while completing research for two assignments. Cant believe how quick this is all going! Over half way through the course now :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    So this is the big chunk coming up for me now. 6 weeks worth of placement 2 while completing research for two assignments. Cant believe how quick this is all going! Over half way through the course now :/
    It is terrifying how quickly it's going. I start my research dissertation for my next block of placement and I'm just worried that the weeks fly by a little too quickly. Probably a sign of how much I enjoy being at school, but not necessarily useful when having to juggle uni stuff in there too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i know what you mean. Ive done 5 weeks at this placement already, only 11 left or so, with a break for easter in between!
    In some ways i want to get to my nqt position and start going, but the other part of me is terrified that Im not even going to pass all of this year !
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Yeah i know what you mean. Ive done 5 weeks at this placement already, only 11 left or so, with a break for easter in between!
    In some ways i want to get to my nqt position and start going, but the other part of me is terrified that Im not even going to pass all of this year !
    I've done 4 at mine but with occasional uni days thrown in. From tomorrow I think I only have 4 more uni days before the end of placement. I feel really settled here and I absolutely love teaching but I can definitely see why they say the PGCE is stressful now. It's not that it's all big stuff, it's just juggling so many little things that makes it difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I start my second placement tomorrow. Really nervous! I found first placement difficult, but I'm worried that the second is a massive step up and I don't think I'll be able to make the jump :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to stress out that I don't even have an interview yet :O I only submitted my application just over a month ago, yet it still says awaiting references. Am I right to assume they won't offer me an interview until they receive those references? and then what happens if the tutors I'm waiting on - from my old Uni decide to take ages or not even do them :confused:

(this is for a PGCE course in Further Education)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clara_oswald)
    I'm starting to stress out that I don't even have an interview yet :O I only submitted my application just over a month ago, yet it still says awaiting references. Am I right to assume they won't offer me an interview until they receive those references? and then what happens if the tutors I'm waiting on - from my old Uni decide to take ages or not even do them :confused:

(this is for a PGCE course in Further Education)
    Your entire application only goes through once your references have been completed, so the uni wouldn't have even seen your application. You need to get on to your references asap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.