Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Having gone through the first 5 episodes of series 7 and thus finished the Amy-Rory arc i have to say that the season saw a marked increase in quality from series 6 and i thought the send off was pretty good albeit i'd have liked to see a more angry reaction from the Doctor, he kind of just went mute.

Anyhow, will update with my thoughts at the end of series 9 in a few weeks. Looking forward to watching the Snowmen (Victorian Clara was brilliant) and some of the late series 7 episodes.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Having gone through the first 5 episodes of series 7 and thus finished the Amy-Rory arc i have to say that the season saw a marked increase in quality from series 6 and i thought the send off was pretty good albeit i'd have liked to see a more angry reaction from the Doctor, he kind of just went mute.

Anyhow, will update with my thoughts at the end of series 9 in a few weeks. Looking forward to watching the Snowmen (Victorian Clara was brilliant) and some of the late series 7 episodes.
    Seeing this, I might have to rewatch lots of episodes! Which is your fav doc so far?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    ****! I'm now rewatching - from S1E1 (new S1, not old old!)

ReputationRep:
    Finished watching them all two weeks ago.

Series 7 post Christmas - Some questionable episodes but enjoyed the dynamic and there was a great end. I disliked the children though, pointless addition.

Series 8 - Quite poor as a whole i thought with no real standout episodes. I also disliked Clara's boyfriend.

Series 9 - Pretty brilliant. Liked the double episodes and loved the Davros story plus the Ashilda arc (shame she can't be the companion). Also thought Clara got a great sendoff and loved the Timelord return. Interesting speculation as to what/who the Hybrid is though. Best series since series 4.

Would also add the Christmas episode with River was pretty brilliant.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't like the look of the Christmas episode, didn't like Matt Lucas's character in the last one and having a superhero makes it look a bit silly. Hope I'm proved wrong though, waited a year for a new episode so it better be a good one

ReputationRep:
    We go from the Christmas invasion, runaway bride, the next doctor the end of time and time of the doctor to superheroes I miss RTD era dr who

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemufcfan)
    We go from the Christmas invasion, runaway bride, the next doctor the end of time and time of the doctor to superheroes I miss RTD era dr who
    RTD was amazing! Nothing will ever live up to his story lines!

What do people think about Peter Calpaldi leaving Dr Who this year?

I actually quite liked his portrayal of the Doctor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)

Can't tell if that was a joke as classic series was far better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    By classic you mean from drs 1-8??

I do love Tom Baker but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the new series

ReputationRep:
    The media seem to think that Q from Bond will get the role which i think would be good. Although i love Tennant the most that's more because of his acting, as a character i think the whole Baker/Smith vibe is what the Doctor should be (a crazy genius so to speak). I like Capaldi but he's not exceptional.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wartime-Chr.../dp/B01MSKMMOZ
    Anyone else want to get this? It's on pre-order, I haven't seen any of the Reeltime/BBV independant spin-offs and this one, the first one made from 1987, looks really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    I agree.
    New Who is lacking something which Classic Who wasn't afraid to do.
    Warning; Strong language in song

Seriously though, there has been a few good episodes of New Who but it pales in comparison with Classic Who.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.change.org/p/bbc-the-ani...edium=copylink
    I really want all the missing episodes to be found or animated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)

His portrayal was really good and was better received by the old Doctors (Baker, McCoy etc.) than Smith and Tennant. He was let down by some shoddy writing though, Moffat can't go soon enough! Series 8 was really poor (apart from Last Christmas, Listen, MOTOE and Flatline), Series 9 was better but the last episode nearly ruined it (didn't like the Ashildr arc either).

Series 10 looks okay, still don't think Matt Lucas should be brought back as a pemanent companion. Don't think Bill's character arc will take over the show in the way that Clara's did. Hopefully we get a good Cyberman story (with the Mondasian versions returning), not been a decent one since Doomsday.

ReputationRep:
    I actually much preferred Tennant and Smith. Although i rate Tennant the better Doctor due to superior acting ability i think that Smith is the Doctor personified. Brilliant but a little mad and energetic, revelling in his immortality.

I actually prefer the new Cybermen and loved the Ashilda Arc. It highlighted both how the Doctor does rash things and leaves the consequences behind and also the pitfalls of essentially immortality as one watches everybody else die. Clara being temporally spliced was also brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I actually much preferred Tennant and Smith. Although i rate Tennant the better Doctor due to superior acting ability i think that Smith is the Doctor personified. Brilliant but a little mad and energetic, revelling in his immortality.

I actually prefer the new Cybermen and loved the Ashilda Arc. It highlighted both how the Doctor does rash things and leaves the consequences behind and also the pitfalls of essentially immortality as one watches everybody else die. Clara being temporally spliced was also brilliant.
    I didn't have a problem with the new Cybermen because they became more of a threat, it's just the way they were used/the stories themselves (Nightmare in Silver, Time of the Doctor, Death in Heaven).

I think the Doctor watching everybody die (his speech in the Lazarus Experiment) explained the pitfalls of immortality a lot better (and only in one scene as opposed to nearly a whole series for Ashildr).

ReputationRep:
    Epic. John Simms is to be the Master again (presumably a flashabck).

ReputationRep:
    And so The Doctor has returned.

I thought that was a pleasantly decent first episode to the new series. From the trailers I wasn't sure if I was going to like the Bill Potts character but I thought she was alright.

There is certainly potential for the season ahead.

ReputationRep:
    I did not like the Dalek's being used as fodder like that but the episode was reasonably okay even if carried by Capaldi and Lucas. I won't be watching that one again though in a hurry.

I was concerned before the episode that Bill would be like the last companion to tick the diversity boxes (Martha), although not that bad she is considerably inferior to Ashilda, Clara and Amy and i hope she won't last more than a season as is rumored.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.