Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Gap year is best to travel and gain experience in other countries................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    Thanks. Still can't believe you got a score like that in VR! Did you end up guessing any, if so how many roughly?

It says to pay like £25 for 2 weeks? Or did you just use the free questions and feel it was of enough help?

The timing is just not enough

I hope it is! Oh, are you a gap year applicant?

650 is an amazing VR score! If I got that I would be buzzing on the day!
    I'm 16 because I am in my last year of academy? Normal is it not?

That's so unfair, the online calculator basically just annoys me. Best of luck with your test especially since it's exactly a week before mine! I really hope you get what you are looking for
    Hi, sorry just seen this and thanks yeah I guessed a whole passage and skipped it cause I was worried about the time and didn't have time to go back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Is this your second time sitting the test? if so what did you get the 1st time if you don't mind me asking? and how did you spend your gap year?
    My score was incredibly poor last year, I got 615. I didn't study well. I did study a lot and practiced a lot but I didn't do a mock test either... by the time I got to the test I was exhausted and just guessed most of the questions.

I am applying for GEM and I just did my MSc and finished it in August...

I will come back next week and let you guys know how I've done but my score will definitely go up this year.

ReputationRep:
    Biomed route isn't guaranteed though. only if you are in the top 10%, u will get considered and that ain't guaranteed either.
    But it is possible at non-russell groups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    ukcat tips. answer a couple of the DM questions although it doesn't count. if not just skip through it and finish the exam as soon as possible to avoid stresssssss
    You saying we can skip through the section and finish it early?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    Biomed route isn't guaranteed though. only if you are in the top 10%, u will get considered and that ain't guaranteed either.
    But it is possible at non-russell groups
    Exactly. IT is far more competitive for grads... they're looking at high 600's +. And some unis like KCL have an even higher cut off point than let's say Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    My score was incredibly poor last year, I got 615. I didn't study well. I did study a lot and practiced a lot but I didn't do a mock test either... by the time I got to the test I was exhausted and just guessed most of the questions.

I am applying for GEM and I just did my MSc and finished it in August...

I will come back next week and let you guys know how I've done but my score will definitely go up this year.
    **** my score is literally 617 but do you think that not applying to the "right unis" played some role in it -were the unis you applied to too UKCAT heavy? Man, this is making me nervous. But I really hope you do amazing! You deserve it for overcoming difficulty it just shows how dedicated you are!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, definitely. Thank you - it's really hard to stay motivated but sometimes you just have to go with the flow and enjoy the journey. Best of luck for your UKCAT if you've still to sit it.
    Thing is time is on your side. There's a wealth of things you can do on your year out. I will be 25 in January, but I am not putting myself under any pressure to get in for 2017... I'm taking it easy. Pressure = stress.

ReputationRep:
    You saying we can skip through the section and finish it early?
    YO I skipped the entire DM section XD

ReputationRep:
    Thing is time is on your side. There's a wealth of things you can do on your year out. I will be 25 in January, but I am not putting myself under any pressure to get in for 2017... I'm taking it easy. Pressure = stress.
    That's the best way! I really hope you get in - all the best.

ReputationRep:
    **** my score is literally 617 but do you think that not applying to the "right unis" played some role in it -were the unis you applied to too UKCAT heavy? Man, this is making me nervous. But I really hope you do amazing! You deserve it for overcoming difficulty it just shows how dedicated you are!
    I didn't even apply. 615 is OK for undergrad but for GEM they look at high 600s+. I know where I went wrong and I am happy I have learned from it.

If you're undergrad you should really contact the unis you're planning to apply to or go through the threads here, some will tell their experiences of getting in with your score.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please help? I got a 610 average and I don't know where to apply. I also have 7A*s and 3As (English Lang, ICT and Maths). Where should I apply? I am thinking between Nottingham, Leicester, Exeter, UEA,QUB Keele but don't know which one to choose. Any other suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    YO I skipped the entire DM section XD
    So that means you finished the test early as well since you skipped the section? After what section does DM come into?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even apply. 615 is OK for undergrad but for GEM they look at high 600s+. I know where I went wrong and I am happy I have learned from it.

If you're undergrad you should really contact the unis you're planning to apply to or go through the threads here, some will tell their experiences of getting in with your score.
    Yeah I plan on doing that tomorrow. Wish me luck! But tbh there's no point in me whining about my situation - onwards and upwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiringmedic178)
    In the student room. So that's not true? Do you think with a 610 UKCAT average (1890 overall), 7A*s and 3As at GCSE I might have a chance?
    Depending on your predicted grades; yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I plan on doing that tomorrow. Wish me luck! But tbh there's no point in me whining about my situation - onwards and upwards.
    Good luck.

What is done is done. I was very disappointed with my score last year because I thought I worked so hard! Then someone on TSR was frank with me and said it's not about the quantity it's about the quality. IF you aren't focusing on your weaknesses and you're not doing timed practices, you're not learning how to recognise which questions are there to trip you up and when to skip, you're not going to master or beat this test.

IF you don't get it this year, remember there's always next year... many get in after multiple tries... so don't be disheartened.

PS - gap years can be used to explore your other interests and travel. I made so much use out of my gap year, started a media house, did a lot of freelance journalism, worked etc. I had a lot of fun.

ReputationRep:
    Look into doing the BMAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Look into doing the BMAT
    I would but there's literally no chance of going to a uni that far from home. :/ Sadly, all 5 medical schools in Scotland use UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck.

What is done is done. I was very disappointed with my score last year because I thought I worked so hard! Then someone on TSR was frank with me and said it's not about the quantity it's about the quality. IF you aren't focusing on your weaknesses and you're not doing timed practices, you're not learning how to recognise which questions are there to trip you up and when to skip, you're not going to master or beat this test.

IF you don't get it this year, remember there's always next year... many get in after multiple tries... so don't be disheartened.

PS - gap years can be used to explore your other interests and travel. I made so much use out of my gap year, started a media house, did a lot of freelance journalism, worked etc. I had a lot of fun.
    Thanks! I'll probably try travelling and volunteering - fingers crossed I don't sit about eating ice cream and watching Netflix. XD

ReputationRep:
    I didn't invest in medify (which I kind of regret) if I end up with no offers then I'm going to invest in that next time round. But yeah the comparison was with the offical mocks. My number one tip is to improve your timing. I didn't have enough time to answer many of the questions adequately.
    Thanks, I find Edinburgh scary because people always say you need >700 to go there but I mean it's worth a shot, right? In which case I'll patch St. Andrews and apply for the other four. Btw thank you so much - I've literally been staring at the ceiling for 3 hours trying to figure out what to do... No one knows what's going on. In my family no one understand the scoring system and I tried asking for help at school but I basically got told to phone the unis up aka "leave me alone" XD
    No. It definitely is worth a shot. I just filled out most of my ucas to give me some motivation >700 would be a guaranteed offer I presume but our scores are hopeful. Don't give up on it!

Had that experience at school so much before hahaha.

Heard squishy say take the BMAT... I am considering it but even if you ARE allowed, keep in mind you have only 1 month to prepare, your schoolwork ALL to catch up on and most likely your projects when you get back. BMAT is no easy thing either, no calculator for it and you need to write an essay and section 1 is very much problem solving. If you are REALLY determined, go for it but just want to make sure you know this because even for the UKCAT I am struggling to finish school HOMEWORK on time, let alone revise.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.