The European/World Football Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
IWantSomeMushu
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Argentina drew 1-1 with Bolivia in their World Cup qualifier earlier.

Demichelis made a mistake leading to Bolivia's opener, and was whistled by his own fans for the rest of the game. Pathetic.
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Charzhino)
Good result for Ireland and Croatia who both seem to be through after big wins in 1st leg. If Croatia do get through then France will be 4th seeds for the draw..expect alot of group of death talk.

Italy with a good win away to Poland (0-2) goals from Ballotelli and Pazzini. They will certianly be dark horses at the euros next year.
The problem is that the hosts are automatically in pot 1. The seeding needs to be either rejigged or dropped altogether.
ahq
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
Goalmouth scramble from Aboomoslem vs Mes Rafsanjan, Azadegan League (Iranian second-tier) :laugh:
Catilina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Charzhino)
If Croatia do get through then France will be 4th seeds for the draw..expect alot of group of death talk.
Yeah, it actually looks like a group consisting of Spain, Germany, Portugal and France might be possible.
Da_hopeful_1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Catilina)
Yeah, it actually looks like a group consisting of Spain, Germany, Portugal and France might be possible.
Aren't Spain and Germany both top seeds?
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Apparently not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_seeding
Da_hopeful_1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
TBD so it could yet be Germany i guess
JK.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
TBD so it could yet be Germany i guess
The coefficient of those who've already qualified can't change before the draw apparently, looks like it's only down as TBD as the coefficients of those in the play offs is subject to change, that won't effect Germany though. Based on last night's results it looks like it'll be:

Pot 1:
Ukraine
Poland
Spain
Netherlands

Pot 2:
Germany
Italy
England
Croatia

Pot 3:
Russia
Greece
Sweden
Portugal

Pot 4:
Czech Republic
Denmark
France
Ireland
Da_hopeful_1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JK.)
The coefficient of those who've already qualified can't change before the draw apparently, looks like it's only down as TBD as the coefficients of those in the play offs is subject to change, that won't effect Germany though. Based on last night's results it looks like it'll be:

Pot 1:
Ukraine
Poland
Spain
Netherlands

Pot 2:
Germany
Italy
England
Croatia

Pot 3:
Russia
Greece
Sweden
Portugal

Pot 4:
Czech Republic
Denmark
France
Ireland
Are France nailed on for pot 4 do you think?
aa22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ra-ra-ra)
You have SportTV?! Mine ran away! Just before this season started i realised it was gone and we can't seem to find it. Yeah, funnily enough i've never put BenficaTV on! Isn't it SLB TV or something? I've not taken much notice of that rubbish.

Yep, 6:45 it'll start. I have a choice of Portuguese or English commentary now..hmm, so many choices tonight.
Yeah.. I've had MEO for about 2 years now. Great package as well, all the football you could ever need. BenficaTV is crap to be honest. I barely watch it as it is (although today they'll be showing Benfica-Galatasaray, so I'll be watching that).

Watched the match, half at my house, then second half at uncle's

0-0 isnt too bad considering everything.. We play better in Portugal anyway, and hopefully we can get a couple of goals in so that it doesn't matter if they score. I will be extremely annoyed if we don't qualify though :rolleyes:
JK.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
Are France nailed on for pot 4 do you think?
The only way they could make pot 3 would be if every winning play off team had a lower coefficient. As Portugal and Croatia are the only play off teams with higher coefficients it could have been a possibility, but it'll now require Bos & Herz to get a result in Portugal and Turkey to overturn a 3 goal deficit when they travel to Croatia. So in answer to your question, yeh, it'd take a miracle for them not to be.
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Really could not believe how bad Turkey were last night but if Sahin was left out (and I think Turan as well), frankly it serves them right and besides they were very mediocre in qualifying very narrowly edging ahead of Belgium and Austria so they really deserved to lose. But if a new coach gets their act together they could pull off a shock win over Holland in the 2014 qualifiers.

I would love a Euro group of Netherlands/Germany/Portugal/France all together! And I just have this strong feeling fate tells me Italy will be drawn with Spain, England with Ireland (first time since that infamous "Combat 18" match in 1995, take note), and Russia with either Ukraine or Poland. Fitting? But from a neutral perspective, potential classic matches.
Catilina
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Toni Kroos´ shooting technique is amazing:

Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Such a smooth shot. Not the first time he's done that either.
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aa22)
0-0 isnt too bad considering everything.. We play better in Portugal anyway, and hopefully we can get a couple of goals in so that it doesn't matter if they score. I will be extremely annoyed if we don't qualify though :rolleyes:
Why should you be annoyed when you won't even deserve to qualify? I and most people who enjoy football would be extremely annoyed if Portugal YET AGAIN qualify for a major tournament by the skin of their teeth and rely too much on a certain someone above everyone else and having been very underwhelming in qualifying and hardly looking deserving of a place. As far as I am concerned if there was any justice Norway should be there instead.
aa22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by robocop1andahalf)
Why should you be annoyed when you won't even deserve to qualify? I and most people who enjoy football would be extremely annoyed if Portugal YET AGAIN qualify for a major tournament by the skin of their teeth and rely too much on a certain someone above everyone else and having been very underwhelming in qualifying and hardly looking deserving of a place. As far as I am concerned if there was any justice Norway should be there instead.
Why should I be annoyed? Maybe because I'm Portuguese >_>

I mean, I agree that we should definitely be qualifying for these tournaments without having to go through the playoffs. We made a bad start to the qualifiying with Queiroz as our boss, who was sacked because of it. We brought in Paulo Bento, and we won all our matches except for the most important one against Denmark, where Denmark suddenly became Gods of Football, and we had ****ing Rolando and Eliseu in defense. If we had Pepe and Coentrao for that match, I can guarantee you we would have come out of there with at least a draw... which would have seen us top the group.

We definitely don't rely on Ronaldo, if that's what you're saying. If you ever watch us play, you'd see he usually takes the ball, runs a bit, and shoots from wherever he is on the pitch. If anything, he doesn't help us at all most of the time.

You mean the same Norway that got murdered by Wales (WALES) 4-1 today? Lol.

And why do you care if we make it or not anyway? Scared that England will get knocked out in the Quarters again? Oh wait, the ladz just beat Spain, LOL ENGURLAND WIN DA EURO fo' sho'!
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aa22)
Why should I be annoyed? Maybe because I'm Portuguese >_>

I mean, I agree that we should definitely be qualifying for these tournaments without having to go through the playoffs. We made a bad start to the qualifiying with Queiroz as our boss, who was sacked because of it. We brought in Paulo Bento, and we won all our matches except for the most important one against Denmark, where Denmark suddenly became Gods of Football, and we had ****ing Rolando and Eliseu in defense. If we had Pepe and Coentrao for that match, I can guarantee you we would have come out of there with at least a draw... which would have seen us top the group.

We definitely don't rely on Ronaldo, if that's what you're saying. If you ever watch us play, you'd see he usually takes the ball, runs a bit, and shoots from wherever he is on the pitch. If anything, he doesn't help us at all most of the time.

You mean the same Norway that got murdered by Wales (WALES) 4-1 today? Lol.

And why do you care if we make it or not anyway? Scared that England will get knocked out in the Quarters again? Oh wait, the ladz just beat Spain, LOL ENGURLAND WIN DA EURO fo' sho'!
Oh and I take it you have not read any previous posts of mine regarding En-gay-land, and thus assume I must be a die-hard cry-for-England person even if as a matter of fact I never cared for them ever? I just love the jumping to conclusions. :rolleyes:

As for Norway getting spanked by Wales - IT WAS A FRIENDLY, an experimental game. How about the same Norway who beat your beloved Portugal and who could at least beat Cyprus home and away?

I really hate seeing blind jingoism.
aa22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by robocop1andahalf)
Oh and I take it you have not read any previous posts of mine regarding En-gay-land, and thus assume I must be a die-hard cry-for-England person even if as a matter of fact I never cared for them ever? I just love the jumping to conclusions. :rolleyes:

As for Norway getting spanked by Wales - IT WAS A FRIENDLY, an experimental game. How about the same Norway who beat your beloved Portugal and who could at least beat Cyprus home and away?

I really hate seeing blind jingoism.
Well no, I don't sit here reading the forums all day to know who you support or whatever. So yes, I did assume, my bad...

Did you even look at Norway's lineup? That was hardly experimental tbh. And I like how you mention us losing in Oslo, where they scored after an error from our GK and then proceeded to defend for their lives, but then forget about our win over them in Lisbon.. blind jingoism indeed...

That 4-4 vs Cyprus game was just a freak of nature.. I'll attribute that to "the magic of football"..
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
Argentina drew 1-1 with Bolivia in their World Cup qualifier earlier.

Demichelis made a mistake leading to Bolivia's opener, and was whistled by his own fans for the rest of the game. Pathetic.
Saw the mistake and it looked like an absolute amateur schoolboy error. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oobs1TVRFLY

It will be a long rollercoaster but there is no way the Albiceleste will fail to qualify, perhaps they will be the team that goes through the play-offs (this time against an Asian team it is) and become the 32nd team to secure the place - bit interesting with Brazil being technically the first team to qualify.

Uruguay to run away in first place, why not? And I will bet you anything that they will be top seeds in the World Cup too. One thing that seems almost guaranteed - Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay will be drawn against African teams in their groups.

But with possibly six teams to go through, the South American round-robin should be more competitive than ever and much as Venezuela and Bolivia (the traditional whipping boys) have become difficult to beat and made amazing progress I think when push comes to shove towards the end of the campaign, they will miss out. I would love to see Peru return after a 32-year absence and for the likes of Pizarro this will be a last ever chance, and would love Colombia to return too.

Interesting to see the African competition has a different format, too. 10 groups of four then the winners go into home and away play-offs to determine Africa's five chosen teams. Once again, law of averages dictates that at least one African team who did not qualify for 2010 will definitely make it in 2014.

A bit more food for thought - watching Football Focus yesterday got me thinking. Lawro banging on the current cliches of how Spain are the best, "Spain are the new Brazil" right now and him saying that "5, 10, 15 years ago" we would always look to Brazil as the benchmark seemed to show how short some memories are, because around 2000/2001ish everyone was talking about France the exact same way everyone is about Spain now. Obviously being Euro and World Champions played a part but many were saying then "France can continue to dominate for many years" and some say the exact same about Spain now. I think you should hold on to your horses sometimes.
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aa22)
Well no, I don't sit here reading the forums all day to know who you support or whatever. So yes, I did assume, my bad...

Did you even look at Norway's lineup? That was hardly experimental tbh. And I like how you mention us losing in Oslo, where they scored after an error from our GK and then proceeded to defend for their lives, but then forget about our win over them in Lisbon.. blind jingoism indeed...

That 4-4 vs Cyprus game was just a freak of nature.. I'll attribute that to "the magic of football"..
Oh, the use of r-tarded expressions like "my bad" in a sentence, that automatically gives me the moral high ground.

I personally hate it when teams look ****e in qualifying then have a great tournament so face it, even if you do sneak through you will end up doing virtually bugger all in the finals tournament just like in 2008 and 2010. Or be useless bottlers like in the 2004 final which also involved an error by your spacko goalkeeper - another "freak of nature" match, indeed tournament, that was.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (667)
80.75%
Leave (159)
19.25%

Watched Threads