Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    During the regular season that's what I thought. But the Raven's postseason play disagrees with you
    Maybe so yeah. Strong offense and relentless defense against the Patriots. Can't argue with that really. But you can only play the teams in front of you. NFC is tougher, and 9ers beat better teams to get here in my opinion.

Let's be honest - San Francisco and Baltimore are both class on both sides of the ball. I think San Francisco has more out and out playmakers on top of the consistency though.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  385209_420353208039643_1049102986_n.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  56.3 KB

True

Name:  535654_419965978078366_248511242_n.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  44.2 KB

:laugh:

Name:  603129_420803324661298_1883565531_n.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  58.2 KB

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Authority_Song)
    Maybe so yeah. Strong offense and relentless defense against the Patriots. Can't argue with that really. But you can only play the teams in front of you. NFC is tougher, and 9ers beat better teams to get here in my opinion.

Let's be honest - San Francisco and Baltimore are both class on both sides of the ball. I think San Francisco has more out and out playmakers on top of the consistency though.
    Again, if you're speaking about regular season I agree. But this is the post season - and postseason performance counts for FAR more than regular season performance.
    Remember, this is a team that beat the Pats and the Broncos. Most people didn't give the Ravens a shadow of beating the Broncos, but they handled them, and then beat the Pats.

Certainly, during the regular season, the 49er's were definitely the BEST team. A spectacular offense featuring a multi dimensional quarterback, deep threats, and a great but underrated running game, backed by a decent defense.

But again.....this is the postseason we're talking about. Right now, the Ravens have the hunger and the momentum, and are playing fantastically right now.

ReputationRep:
    Actually think I'm going to have to pass this year, no team of preference or that interest me at all and think I'm sleep deprived as it is. 💤💤💤

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the 49ers wilted in front of every good defense they played outside of the Bears game (who were missing Cutler and facing Kaepernick without the benefit of previous game tapes).

Yes they beat the Seahawks (who later handed their asses to them), but only scored 13 points in that game and limited (at the time) a fairly impotent offense to 6 points, and they managed to TIE with the Rams, but I am yet to be convinced by them when they face a defense that matches up to them.

ReputationRep:
    49ers would stand no chance with Smith at the helm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    Again, if you're speaking about regular season I agree. But this is the post season - and postseason performance counts for FAR more than regular season performance.
    Remember, this is a team that beat the Pats and the Broncos. Most people didn't give the Ravens a shadow of beating the Broncos, but they handled them, and then beat the Pats.

Certainly, during the regular season, the 49er's were definitely the BEST team. A spectacular offense featuring a multi dimensional quarterback, deep threats, and a great but underrated running game, backed by a decent defense.

But again.....this is the postseason we're talking about. Right now, the Ravens have the hunger and the momentum, and are playing fantastically right now.
    I understand completely. Giants were 10-6 and 9-7 when they beat the 16-0 and 13-3 Pats respectively. I agree that play-off performance (i.e recent, more high pressure performance) is a better thing to judge a team on. It's said quite often that you only need to be "hot at the right time", a la Giants in 07 and 2011.

However, I think suggesting that the Ravens have played the best post-season ball so far means that they will win is unfair.

Firstly, the Ravens were a wildcard team so they've had an extra game to show themselves off and appear like they've been making the most noise. Without trying to take anything away from them, the Colts weren't really up to post-season play. 11-5 was good, but they didn't do anything spectacular to get there.

The bronco's game was awesome. Great clutch play to stay in the game. However the 49ers scored just as many points against the packers, and played just as consistently. They may not have showed the clutch play that Baltimore did, but that's because they beat the Packers by 2 touchdowns. You shouldn't judge a team harshly for putting the game to bed early. If anything the Ravens shouldn't be leaving games down to last minute miracle plays. A week later they ended up sneaking past the Falcons in a squeaky game anyway, so they obviously have the grit.

The Pats game we can't fault the Ravens on really. There offense was good, but remember that they had plenty of time of possession to go against a tired defense which was damaged by injury. A few of their successful drives came from fairly short field position too. I'm not saying their offense didn't play well because it did, but it hardly lit up the field. If the Pats had put out even an average offensive showing, the Ravens would have scored less and quite possibly lost.

TL;DR - I don't see anything on either team right now that separates them. Anything we look at right now is pretty much nitpicking. Both have played exceptionally well in the post-season. Both have shown clutch play, poise under pressure, success away from home, offensive and defensive reliability and play-makers on each side of the ball.

The only thing (apart from Ray Lewis' emotional thing) that separates them is regular season consistency.

Essentially, this is the closest superbowl I can remember. But to avoid sitting on the fence and being boring, I', trying to find any way to choose 1 team over the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Authority_Song)
    I understand completely. Giants were 10-6 and 9-7 when they beat the 16-0 and 13-3 Pats respectively. I agree that play-off performance (i.e recent, more high pressure performance) is a better thing to judge a team on. It's said quite often that you only need to be "hot at the right time", a la Giants in 07 and 2011.

However, I think suggesting that the Ravens have played the best post-season ball so far means that they will win is unfair.

Firstly, the Ravens were a wildcard team so they've had an extra game to show themselves off and appear like they've been making the most noise. Without trying to take anything away from them, the Colts weren't really up to post-season play. 11-5 was good, but they didn't do anything spectacular to get there.

The bronco's game was awesome. Great clutch play to stay in the game. However the 49ers scored just as many points against the packers, and played just as consistently. They may not have showed the clutch play that Baltimore did, but that's because they beat the Packers by 2 touchdowns. You shouldn't judge a team harshly for putting the game to bed early. If anything the Ravens shouldn't be leaving games down to last minute miracle plays. A week later they ended up sneaking past the Falcons in a squeaky game anyway, so they obviously have the grit.

The Pats game we can't fault the Ravens on really. There offense was good, but remember that they had plenty of time of possession to go against a tired defense which was damaged by injury. A few of their successful drives came from fairly short field position too. I'm not saying their offense didn't play well because it did, but it hardly lit up the field. If the Pats had put out even an average offensive showing, the Ravens would have scored less and quite possibly lost.

TL;DR - I don't see anything on either team right now that separates them. Anything we look at right now is pretty much nitpicking. Both have played exceptionally well in the post-season. Both have shown clutch play, poise under pressure, success away from home, offensive and defensive reliability and play-makers on each side of the ball.

The only thing (apart from Ray Lewis' emotional thing) that separates them is regular season consistency.

Essentially, this is the closest superbowl I can remember. But to avoid sitting on the fence and being boring, I', trying to find any way to choose 1 team over the other.
    So who you got?

ReputationRep:
    And now the rest of the UK hears about American Football and the ridiculous rugby comparisons are all over mainstream media comments sections... Shoot me.

And all this talk is making me think of taking my hedge and backing both sides!! £10 win on 49'ers side and £4.50 on the Ravens would feel a bit hollow though, I want to be excited by the game!!! I don't know what to do and I could do with winning £20 to pay for yesterdays night out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..DT..)
    I hate this time of year when people who think NFL is **** during the regular season pop up and start saying how amazing the superbowl is ....
    So true haha. Although I do watch the regular season games, I usually just catch the highlights on nfl.com. Playoff games and the Superbowl I always watch in full, usually because my exams are finished by then and those games tend to be a lot more entertaining.

Ravens to win tonight - granted they are underdogs but it's going to be difficult with Baltimore's defence. Will be interesting to see how Ray Rice vs Frank Gore will go.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely think the Ravens will win tonight, the added incentive concerning Ray Lewis and all! I hope he has a belting game!

ReputationRep:
    Should there be an official thread?

Also, 24-20 Ravens.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I'll be going with the general view here since I'm going with Ravens by 3.

ReputationRep:
    Time to watch my yearly NFL match. :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    My heart desperately wants the Ravens to win. The fairy tale ending for one of the best linebackers the game has seen, along with a quarterback who has shown his critics that he can be an elite qb.

ReputationRep:
    Have to back the Ravens after they swept aside the Patriots. I predict a blowout by half time.

ReputationRep:
    Ravens by three, late field goal methinks

ReputationRep:
    I have come.. for Destiny's Child

ReputationRep:
    Alicia keys does it for me

ReputationRep:
    Ahh had my power nap. Wasn't able to organise working from home tomorrow

Still backing the niners!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.