The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jess_x
No!! I spoke to some students on the open day and they said that the college to which you apply makes no difference-if your application is strong but they don't have enough places, they'll pool you and another, less popular college will take you...seriously have faith! :smile:

Thanks for the good luck, I've received offers from the other 4 unis to which I applied (Durham, Warwick, York and Sheffield if you're interested), how about you? best of luck to you too :smile:

That's the hope, we'll see how it pans out! Thank you, though.

I've received offers from two of my unis (Durham and York, snap!), waiting on Oxford and UCL. Congrats on all your offers, thats amazing!
Reply 5201
Original post by Jess_x
No :s-smilie: I'm applying for English, what are you applying for? :biggrin:

Also English. Fingers crossed!
My Oxford application has almost given me a heart-attack several times! Just before the ELAT, I accidentally left my new phone (didn't know how to work it) on the side unlocked...and my four year old cousin didn't realise that the string of random letters and emoticons that they were typing, were actually being sent to Admissions....

Then, my scanner broke just before I could send my written work, and ended up sending it just minutes before the deadline...

After that, I got an email yesterday to say that they didn't have all of my information (which frightened me!), then realised it was because the disability officer hadn't sent on my disability details (which they have now said that they needed for accommodation - which has got my hopes up haha! :biggrin: ).

What a stressful situation haha! :biggrin:
Congratulations to everyone who's been called up for interview.

Anyone heard anything from the History dept yet? I imagine it will be another week or so before we hear..?
Original post by Oxfordmist
Congratulations to everyone who's been called up for interview.

Anyone heard anything from the History dept yet? I imagine it will be another week or so before we hear..?

Nooope. I reckon it will be next week. Otherwise it has to be the Monday-Wednesday of the following week to give us a week's notice, but going by last year I think we should hear next week.

Waiting sucks! I hate reading up on stuff not even knowing if I'm totally wasting my time or not, or whether Ratramnus has totally screwed me. And my refresh email button needs replacing.
Original post by cwang12
Hi! International student here :smile: Anyone know when TSA scores are released and the shortlist release date for Oriel College (or PPE)? Thanks!

Hi! I'm also an international PPE applicant at Oriel. I have no idea when they're releasing the shortlist but I figured I'd reply because we're in the exact same situation :smile: . We're probably going to hear next week although I'm hoping its sooner because I have to book my flights.
Original post by drumsticks
I don't think that Oxford ever release scores of the admissions tests. They're pretty much held internally for the sole purpose of candidate selection.

I think we get them in January after we find out if we got in.
Original post by skylake
I don't really know to be honest. I fell my TSA didn't go too well but my grades are okay and perhaps the TSA didn't go as bad as I thought. I guess I'll wait and see. And yourself?

just bracing myself for the rejection email haha
Original post by mckamp
I'm applying to study maths, did you make an open application or did you apply to a college?

I made an open application. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anybody heard from Pembroke, Engineering?
Anyone heard anything from Balliol for Law yet?
Reply 5211
Hi all,

I have applied to fast track medicine A101 (open application). Obviously BMAT results aren't out until next week but does anyone have any idea how soon we will get decisions from then? Interviews are 17th and 18th of December and I currently live in Scotland but will be going home to Northern Ireland for Christmas and flight prices are increasing by the day :frown: Also, do Oxford send out all interview invites on the same day or are they done in batches?

Thanks in advance :smile:
K
Original post by MouseyBrown
Nooope. I reckon it will be next week. Otherwise it has to be the Monday-Wednesday of the following week to give us a week's notice, but going by last year I think we should hear next week.

Waiting sucks! I hate reading up on stuff not even knowing if I'm totally wasting my time or not, or whether Ratramnus has totally screwed me. And my refresh email button needs replacing.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean...roll on next week!
Original post by Vitul
Just got shortlisted for interview. :biggrin:

Biological Sciences- St. Peter's College and Balliol college.

congratulations! I have an interview for Biological Sciences at Christ Church :smile: How you feeling about it?
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We can't comment on whether a particular candidate is flagged or not since this information is owned by University Undergraduate Admissions. The earlier link does, however, confirm that the information available places GCSE results in their school context for flagged candidates.

Whether an applicant who is flagged overall for access is interviewed may depend on how much additional information selectors have access to. For example, whether or not an admissions test has been taken and, if so, how the result compares with the rest of the applicant pool. It may also depend on how strong prior attainment (GCSEs) is relative to the performance level associated with the particular school attended. Also of relevance would be any extenuating circumstances disclosed by the school referee,

'Strongly recommended' means that a selectors would need to justify a decision not to invite to interview. The test score and prior attainment might, however, provide grounds not to invite to interview if a candidate was flagged overall but was not quite strong enough in one or both of these areas.

Thank you.
I just received an email from Brasenose, a rejection, unfortunately. The email just said that it was due to competition, and didn't specify if it was my grades, LNAT or personal statement that let me down. Does 'competition' count as the 'justification of reason not to interview', or should I have been told a specific reason why my application was unsuccessful?

Thanks
Original post by chloetraynor
Thank you.
I just received an email from Brasenose, a rejection, unfortunately. The email just said that it was due to competition, and didn't specify if it was my grades, LNAT or personal statement that let me down. Does 'competition' count as the 'justification of reason not to interview', or should I have been told a specific reason why my application was unsuccessful?

Thanks

Email them again:smile: theres no harm in trying
Hi

There is a A101 thread for Oxford ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3640809 )

Interviews can be given as late as the 11th Dec! In most cases you get an email 1-2 weeks before warning that you are "likely to be selected for interview" from the medical sciences team but it is not a guarantee as the colleges make the final decision. My friend last year found out on the last possible day (i.e. 7 days before) so it can be as late as that!

Original post by N20K
Hi all,

I have applied to fast track medicine A101 (open application). Obviously BMAT results aren't out until next week but does anyone have any idea how soon we will get decisions from then? Interviews are 17th and 18th of December and I currently live in Scotland but will be going home to Northern Ireland for Christmas and flight prices are increasing by the day :frown: Also, do Oxford send out all interview invites on the same day or are they done in batches?

Thanks in advance :smile:
K
Original post by chloetraynor
Thank you.

Thanks

Would you mind me asking what your grades were and what did the subject of the email state? Thank you and I'm sure there's other great unit you applied to that will see your potential :smile:
Original post by patricio_miguel
Would you mind me asking what your grades were and what did the subject of the email state? Thank you and I'm sure there's other great unit you applied to that will see your potential :smile:

My grades were below Oxford standards anyway, so it was always unlikely! I got 4A*, 5A, 2B at GCSE and AABB at AS, and I applied to Law at Brasenose.

It said:
You will be aware that Oxford receives many thousands more applications than there are places available. Unfortunately, in view of the overall competition for places this year, and after consultation with other colleges, it has been decided not to call you for interview. In the light of this decision I am sorry to have to tell you that Brasenose and the other colleges are unable to proceed further with your application.

Thank you! I've had offers from Kent, Reading and Exeter already so I'm not too devastated ahah
I got an interview for law with french law at St Catz

Latest

Trending

Trending