Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    True, but their attack more than makes up for it. It makes it harder to defend when you're going up against the best attack in the world, and trying to get the ball off Modric and Kroos is pretty hard. But like you said, if a team can string passes together they will struggle, as they have no recognised CDM since Alonso left.
    Yeah not saying that it's a major problem, when you got 3 players who can provide you with 100 goals when fit(BRB) then no need to focus on defend.

I just looked at liverpool today, their forwards were either isolated and when they did have support the likes of Allen doing sidepasses and slowing down possession, Liverpool were scared to attack them. Don't help that Reals defence is so fast. Tbh Alonso was shot at Real+Spain and is only doing well at Bayern because everyone parks the bus and gives him space on the ball. It's like with Gerrard last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah not saying that it's a major problem, when you got 3 players who can provide you with 100 goals when fit(BRB) then no need to focus on defend.

I just looked at liverpool today, their forwards were either isolated and when they did have support the likes of Allen doing sidepasses and slowing down possession, Liverpool were scared to attack them. Don't help that Reals defence is so fast. Tbh Alonso was shot at Real+Spain and is only doing well at Bayern because everyone parks the bus and gives him space on the ball. It's like with Gerrard last season.
    True dat, Varane and Ramos are rapid. Someone like Aguero would put them in their place. Reckon, Sterling could have gave them a headache. Pace AND strength would definitely weaken their defence.
    But I have to say i was very impressed with Varane and Marcelo.
    Bet its killing Mouriniho that he won't be able to get his hands on him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    True dat, Varane and Ramos are rapid. Someone like Aguero would put them in their place. Reckon, Sterling could have gave them a headache. Pace AND strength would definitely weaken their defence.
    But I have to say i was very impressed with Varane and Marcelo.
    Bet its killing Mouriniho that he won't be able to get his hands on him
    Yeah he could have, but like with markovic if he had no support he was never going to do great. Not many teams have what it takes to beat Real though. Bayern, Atlético and Chelsea, maybe a fully fit Dortmund side or Barca at nou camp but no other team should really fancy their chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah he could have, but like with markovic if he had no support he was never going to do great. Not many teams have what it takes to beat Real though. Bayern, Atlético and Chelsea, maybe a fully fit Dortmund side or Barca at nou camp but no other team should really fancy their chances.
    Do you think they have what it takes to win the CL again?
    Personally, like you mentioned, once they go against a side like Bayern/Chelsea then they will get exposed.
    I think it will be Bayern this year.

ReputationRep:
    So even if Basel beat Real Madrid, so long as we beat Ludo and Basel (the latter by more than 1 goal) - we go through on the head to head?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We won't get out of this group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    why do you say that? would say that you guys have a better chance at getting out of your group then city right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    So even if Basel beat Real Madrid, so long as we beat Ludo and Basel (the latter by more than 1 goal) - we go through on the head to head?
    Pretty sure that's right. But given that Real are already through I'd rather have them beat Basel as well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    why do you say that? would say that you guys have a better chance at getting out of your group then city right now
    Can't see us beating Ludogorets away, let alone Basel at home by two goals.

ReputationRep:
    Can't see us beating Ludogorets away, let alone Basel at home by two goals.
    fair enough - though you only have to draw with ludo, which I do believe you can do.. and then beat basel by any score,

ReputationRep:
    You guys will beat Ludo but no chance against Basel imo. Hopefully you guys finish in the Europa league spot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We completely should be able to, but you're probably right.

When is Sturridge back?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    You guys will beat Ludo but no chance against Basel imo. Hopefully you guys finish in the Europa league spot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Basel game is at Anfield so we have every chance. Sturridge will be back by then to provide some goals provided he doesn't get injured again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Basel game is at Anfield so we have every chance. Sturridge will be back by then to provide some goals provided he doesn't get injured again.
    I highly doubt he'd come back from a long lay off and start firing straight away. You may be disappointed when he returns and you guys still fail to put in performances and get results in his first few games back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt he'd come back from a long lay off and start firing straight away. You may be disappointed when he returns and you guys still fail to put in performances and get results in his first few games back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The game is in December so assuming Sturridge comes back straight after international break, that will give him like 4/5 games to get back to fitness. He should be fine by then, Rodgers seems to be able to get our second team putting in performances, I reckon it won't be long till our first team starts putting in performances too. He may not score goals but he will still provide that movement to create space for Sterling and Coutinho.

ReputationRep:
    The game is in December so assuming Sturridge comes back straight after international break, that will give him like 4/5 games to get back to fitness. He should be fine by then, Rodgers seems to be able to get our second team putting in performances, I reckon it won't be long till our first team starts putting in performances too. He may not score goals but he will still provide that movement to create space for Sterling and Coutinho.
    Ah i see. Ive read somewhere he was going to return early december so i based my opinion on that.

I can see Liverpool firing for the second half of the season but your defence is going to let you down imo. Amazing how the second team is outperforming the first team,they seemed to show so much more hunger and desire. Its a shame you're facing Chelsea this week because if you faced a lower side (then again every side is difficult in the PL), you could have built momentum.

So far its been stop and start from Liverpool and United as well as Arsenal stuttering here and there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah i see. Ive read somewhere he was going to return early december so i based my opinion on that.

I can see Liverpool firing for the second half of the season but your defence is going to let you down imo. Amazing how the second team is outperforming the first team,they seemed to show so much more hunger and desire. Its a shame you're facing Chelsea this week because if you faced a lower side (then again every side is difficult in the PL), you could have built momentum.

So far its been stop and start from Liverpool and United as well as Arsenal stuttering here and there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbh, the Chelsea game couldn't have come at a better time, the players need a kick up the ass and know that they have to perform. If it was against a lower side, complacency would just creep in and its the Newcastle game all over again...

Sturridge had a late fitness test for the Madrid game, that suggests he's not far off from returning.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, the Chelsea game couldn't have come at a better time, the players need a kick up the ass and know that they have to perform. If it was against a lower side, complacency would just creep in and its the Newcastle game all over again...

Sturridge had a late fitness test for the Madrid game, that suggests he's not far off from returning.
    Yeah but if you look on the other side, Chelsea could really embarrass you guys and surely that'll really hurt moral and confidence?

I guess that means he'll be back in under 2 weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Doesn't matter, he will get injured again soon enough. Liverpool played well last night, but no matter how well we played, Madrid would have beaten us if they had to.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but if you look on the other side, Chelsea could really embarrass you guys and surely that'll really hurt moral and confidence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Kolo will have Costa in his pocket

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.