Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scitea)
    So I've got my letter from student finance and it says I will be receiving £11945 in maintenance loan. I knew I would be receiving the maximum but I thought it was nearer £10 000. I'm worried they have over estimated and that I will have to pay some back. Does anyone know?!

Edit: I'll be studying in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You get extra money for every week over 33 weeks and 3 days or something like that (I think- maybe 30?), and doesn't the KCL grad course start in August? So it's probably due to the longer academic year length 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomasPassion)
    I can't tell if I'm being really dim here, but SF have not asked me to give my financial info. Applied online yesterday, and am now filling out a form for current financial year assessment. Where it asks if I've given my financial details I realise that actually I haven't. Do I take it for granted they already know my financial details since I'm already paying back a loan?
    If you're 25 or over they don't bother asking as you're assessed as independent. So you'll get the maximum either way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    If you're 25 or over they don't bother asking as you're assessed as independent. So you'll get the maximum either way
    That is kind of what I gathered from speaking to them today - but is that really right? I would understand if I was 17 and estranged from my parents, but I'm an adult earning an income. Not enough this tax year to not get max loan but still it seems weird

ReputationRep:
    That is kind of what I gathered from speaking to them today - but is that really right? I would understand if I was 17 and estranged from my parents, but I'm an adult earning an income. Not enough this tax year to not get max loan but still it seems weird
    But unless youre married they assume you will have 0 income during you degree therefore eligible for maximum maintenance

ReputationRep:
    Your own income doesn't count anyway. Even if you were working loads while studying they wouldn't count it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    Your own income doesn't count anyway. Even if you were working loads while studying they wouldn't count it
    Right, I get it now. Wow, that still seems very strange - but at least explains why they didn't want my info!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering, would a Kinesiology degree be competitive for GEP?

I appreciate the responses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11chickenuggets)
    Hi,

I was wondering, would a Kinesiology degree be competitive for GEP?

I appreciate the responses!
    It only really matters what your result is. Swansea, Warwick, SGUL, Notts, Newcastle will take anything. Fine Art or Zoology, makes no difference.
    A few places like Oxford and Kings want a true lab science like Chemistry or Biomedical science. If you want to apply somewhere that has very specific first degree requirements send your transcript to admissions before applying and they'll tell you if it would be acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Hi KAmalraj10
    I don't know if you are still on this website, I think it has been almost one year since we posted; are you on your way to medical school? Best,
    cwr

ReputationRep:
    I got my student finance letter today saying my application has been approved. I had thought SF only pays £5535 of the tuition loan for the first year, but my letter says they'll be paying £9000 to the university.

Is anyone else in the same situation?

ReputationRep:
    Hi All, i am not a graduate but going to czech rep to study from Sept 2016. Anyone looked at Poland as they have GEM programmes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzleLight)
    I got my student finance letter today saying my application has been approved. I had thought SF only pays £5535 of the tuition loan for the first year, but my letter says they'll be paying £9000 to the university.

Woah woah, if this is legitimate then I want in on this! But I'm doubtful, I applied and it said they'll pay the £5535.. Could be an error on their part for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzleLight)

I have my letter and it's not the full amount. They've probably just made a mistake, you might want to let them know before they send you a bill remember when they overpaid thousands of pounds to everyone a few years ago? Fun times that was!

ReputationRep:
    I have been accepted on a 5 year course so liable for the full £9000.

Initially they sent me an award letter which covered the fees as well as maintenance. I tried to tell them this was wrong on the phone and the advisor still told me it was correct. Alas It has now been rectified and SFE won't be paying my tuition fees.

Better to have it sorted now than go through the fiasco from previous years as mentioned above.

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to pay the £3465 tuition fees in one lump or is it over the 3 terms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just giving this a bump as I would also like to know!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was going to reply to this when it was first posted but was interrupted when typing.. Woops.
    But as far as I know it's in 3 installments over the 3 terms if you need it to be, pretty sure it's the same across each medical school - I know at Nottingham it definitely is anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_JW95)
    I was going to reply to this when it was first posted but was interrupted when typing.. Woops.
    But as far as I know it's in 3 installments over the 3 terms if you need it to be, pretty sure it's the same across each medical school - I know at Nottingham it definitely is anyway!
    Wish I was only paying that amount. Still panicking about paying the £9000

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_JW95)
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, someone in my family will be applying for medicine as a graduate, can anyone with offers give me any useful information that I can pass onto her in order for her to increase her chances of getting an interview for this course?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.