The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
No, I ran the numbers and it gave you 19 seats....
Why'd we get 19 seats before then?
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Why'd we get 19 seats before then?
Not sure:erm: but using the numbers it'd give roughly
Tory: 19
labour: 16
UKIP: 6
Green: 4
liberals: 4
socalists: 1

cant predict the indi count though...
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Not sure:erm: but using the numbers it'd give roughly
Tory: 19
labour: 16
UKIP: 6
Green: 4
liberals: 4
socalists: 1

cant predict the indi count though...
Are you just using 2% for a seat?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Are you just using 2% for a seat?
No, I actually put it into a spreadsheet and D'Hondt it and that was the figures it gave... Just a fluke I guess

should note that I assumed that all SNP/plaid would go to green and that the socalists would get most of the tiny party votes which are unlikely...
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I assumed that all SNP/plaid would go to green and that the socalists would get most of the tiny party votes which are unlikely...
What a stupid assumption.
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Today our party moves on. Our leader, a man who stood up to the media, banks, energy companies and the pro-Israel lobby has resigned. He was an Opposition leader who stopped a Prime Minster from warring in Syria. A party leader who united a hugely divided party. A man who fought his brother for the his party's soul and won. Who took a punt on 'pre-distribution' and lost. The son of a Marxist. A thoroughly decent individual. He made eating a sandwich a political issue and still garnered more sex appeal than Tony Blair.

We fought the good fight, but lost. But this isn't the end, because in his own words, change happens because people like us don't give up.

Goodbye Ed. And despite everything, I liked you.

:sad:
Here here!

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)

Amusing that the Express are offering £1 ferry trips to France.
Doubt they'd be able to offer such a deal if we were not in the EU. Silly Europhobes are silly.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
What a stupid assumption.
The SNP/plaid isn't that stupid... The other probably is but I had no idea how to calculate the socalists results otherwise.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
Doubt they'd be able to offer such a deal if we were not in the EU. Silly Europhobes are silly.
That's actually incredibly true as the economies of scale wouldn't be as they are now and throw in additional security check points, requirements for getting documents etc. It wouldn't work. I'm glad I'm a European
(Original post by Aph)
The SNP/plaid isn't that stupid... The other probably is but I had no idea how to calculate the socalists results otherwise.
It is, Labour has the better chance but tbh Greens will get the mass due to the current patterns by youths in the UK at the moment.
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
That's actually incredibly true as the economies of scale wouldn't be as they are now and throw in additional security check points, requirements for getting documents etc. It wouldn't work. I'm glad I'm a European
Moi aussi!
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
PRSOM
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Republic1)
It was very upsetting to see Cable and Hughes lose their seats and Clegg resigning as I am very fond of them all. All were on the verge of tears understandably; politics is a brutal game it seems.

Lib Dems often come out in polls as the most popular local MPs, but this time around they were hurt by the national sentiment. What I thought was odd, however, was that most Lib Dem seats fell to the Tories, so you can hardly say that's people punishing them for joining the coalition.

Having said all of that though, I voted against Simon Hughes in Southwark and thus contributed to his defeat. I did it with a lot of reservation however. Having met Simon Hughes on many occasions and having seen what he has done for Southwark it is clear he has been a brilliant MP for over 30 years.

It was purely a local vote to punish him for his bad record in the Justice Ministry. Cuts to legal aid, the virtual destruction of judicial review with Criminal Courts and Justice Act etc. Despite my admiration for the Lib Dems once unfettered commitment to justice and liberty, they have failed massively in that regard under this government. It was because of that that Simon Hughes had to go.

That being said, I'm pretty upset that some of our greatest parliamentarians have been defeated. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
I agree with this (w/exception of Cable). It was awful watching Hughes's declaration where he stood there with a blank face masking a mixture of disbelief and hurt.

In regards to Clegg, it was awful seeing him resign, a particularly emotional quote being when he quoted Alex-Cole Hamilton after 2011, followed by him walking out crying. It's a great shame that we've lost some of the greatest MPs, both locally and nationally including Clegg himself who put country above party (although history will judge him very kindly).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
There are many different motives for voting SNP/Plaid. Plaid historically has been central and even I'd vote SNP if I lived in Scotland.

I'd split SNP 3 ways between Soc, Grn and Lab and split Plaid between Soc and Lib.

Posted from TSR Mobile
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have to agree with Republic and Cryptographic about Simon Hughes, and the new Labour MP recognised all he had done for the constituency.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
Depends whose eyes you see it from really, as with all political opinions. I don't feel too sorry for them.

With the thrashing and Clegg gone they can build from the ground.
There's a piece in the telegraph explaining why, basically about how Cameron could have formed a minority government and then end up being another election when we needed a government, but despite knowing they would be crushed this time round Clegg still stood up to the plate and helped form a stable government and hold back the Tories a bit and do good things with the opportunity, one of the fee opportunities they have had it ever will have to implement their ideas beyond PMBs. Then that they stuck by it for the whole 5 years, even if he was a bit childish at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
There are many different motives for voting SNP/Plaid. Plaid historically has been central and even I'd vote SNP if I lived in Scotland.

I'd split SNP 3 ways between Soc, Grn and Lab and split Plaid between Soc and Lib.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'd vote SNP?!

I guess not not having every single RL party is rather hard to work out which way people will vote, even harder with tactical voting in RL elections so the figures are pretty useless because a Tory 19 with labour 14 are so unlikely on here using RL data is meaningless.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
If the national results are replicated here the torys will get 19 seats:sad: and your only get 2!!!
To be fair, that's a pretty stupid assumption to make given that it's a student forum full of lefties that haven't yet realised the error of their ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
To be fair, that's a pretty stupid assumption to make given that it's a student forum full of lefties that haven't yet realised the error of their ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attack the people you want to vote for you... Good tactics :rolleyes:
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
It's true though, the majority are in that position and are unlikely to vote the "sensible" way anyway.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
They're lefties - so why would they vote for us anyway...
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
It's true though, the majority are in that position and are unlikely to vote the "sensible" way anyway.
You know the left and the right will never reconcile... And you assume that you are 'sensible' because it's your choise... I'd say that you are stark raving bonkers for choosing Tory...
(Original post by mobbsy91)
They're lefties - so why would they vote for us anyway...
you know, sometimes I feel more sorry then anything else for those if the capitalist persuasion.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (75)
66.96%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.29%

Watched Threads