Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    say I wanted pharmacy s my backup, do I have to write a separate personal statement. Do you know which universities accept a medicine personal statement. Does UCL?
    Pharmacy, biomed etc are all very aware that their subjects will be chosen as the extra 5th choice for those applying for medicine. They will all accept your medical personal statement, but they may ask you to write a separate pharmacy specific personal statement if they are interested in you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, is it possible for school to send UCAS app back to you? they say they can but i dont trust them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    No. It definitely is worth a shot. I just filled out most of my ucas to give me some motivation >700 would be a guaranteed offer I presume but our scores are hopeful. Don't give up on it!

Had that experience at school so much before hahaha.

Heard squishy say take the BMAT... I am considering it but even if you ARE allowed, keep in mind you have only 1 month to prepare, your schoolwork ALL to catch up on and most likely your projects when you get back. BMAT is no easy thing either, no calculator for it and you need to write an essay and section 1 is very much problem solving. If you are REALLY determined, go for it but just want to make sure you know this because even for the UKCAT I am struggling to finish school HOMEWORK on time, let alone revise.
    Yeah, I know right - it's so overwhelming. A part of me can't wait to catch up - is that weird lool. And I've filled out a lot of my UCAS but probably going to change my choices a bit. Also, are you applying for a 5th option or are you just applying for 4 medical schools? Btw I still need to write a proper personal statement... XD And yeah, I just don't have the energy for the BMAT plus I don't think I want to go to the unis that use it - tbqh I don't really see someone like ME going to oxbridge XD - I'd be so out of place with my thick Scottish accent. But it's important that at the very least I'm in the same country as my family - I'd be too scared to travel THAT far away. I plan on going home atleast once a month for a weekend so that would be too much for me. Plus I know that Edinburgh have alcohol free accommodation because in the past students have been found dead. So THAT really appeals to me - the no alcohol thing. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    I would but there's literally no chance of going to a uni that far from home. :/ Sadly, all 5 medical schools in Scotland use UKCAT.
    You'd rather take quite a big risk at not getting a place than move out further on? Do ur parents not want u to or something?

ReputationRep:
    what is king's college normal ukcat cut off score. apparently it is around 700.

ReputationRep:
    say you are predicted A*A*A* for A level. does that mean when the uni gives you an offer it is lower than usual like AAB or even unconditional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student470)
    What should I do!?! My average is 653 (510 VR, 800 QR, 650 AR) and band 1. My AS were AABB and my predictions are A*A*A. I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE. What universities should I be looking at? Is Manchester even worth it if the threshold is 650?
    Last year I applied to Manchester, my score was 2600(average 650) and their threshold was 2650(average 662.5).
    I don't know if the fact that there's a section less in the UKCAT this year will have an affect but I doubt it.
    Honestly you're taking a big risk if you apply to Manchester as the first thing they do to eliminate people is use the UKCAT.

You've got really good GCSEs, especially since most unis tend to look at your highest 6-8 GCSEs so you may be best looking at unis that put a lot focus on GCSEs and work on a point score system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    You'd rather take quite a big risk at not getting a place than move out further on? Do ur parents not want u to or something?
    Not really - they don't mind. I just don't see myself going down that route if it really doesn't work out I'll probably take a gap year. With BMAT (as you probably know) you find out your score after you send off your application which is wayy to risky for me. Also, I just really like Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    forgot to ask my teacher this, but do you know whether A level French is 50:50 AS:A2

ReputationRep:
    I am going for Aberdeen and Dundee regardless (I live in Aberdeen and Dundee is close). I would say i's not a bad idea trying Edinburgh because if you go all A's then you get many points. Tbh, quite a few people have received offers in previous years from Edinburgh despite being in the lowest deciles. They take EVERYTHING into account so if all else is good, GO FOR IT! You may aswell apply for Glasgow or St andrews too if you are staying in Sccotland. Use your choices and if you get to interview (majority do), you're in same boat as everyone else. I know people with 550 applying to these places. Ultimately, it comes down to you though

Interesting. Compared to official mocks or Medify?
    That is incredibly unrealistic, there is no point applying if they have so little chance of getting In. Whether you know people applying with ukcat of -120 or whagever it doesn't make a difference because who says they're even going to get looked at?
    Apply strategically so that you get offers is the smartest thing to do rather than say "you know what? I don't care I'm applying!" And the just getting a rejection and a wasted application space

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is a good option too.
    I am planning on one london and 3 out

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is very promising. easy to get in for med

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Not really - they don't mind. I just don't see myself going down that route if it really doesn't work out I'll probably take a gap year. With BMAT (as you probably know) you find out your score after you send off your application which is wayy to risky for me. Also, I just really like Scotland.
    Well if you have such a small chance at the moment, you aren't risking much are you? U surely can only gain something because u will be in the same position now if u do poorly on he bmat anyway.
    Your ukcat isn't teerrrible but it can be a lot better, especially by this years standards and I personally wouldn't say applying to universities with ukcat cut off scores or who weigh it at all is a good idea unless you other grades are amazing and they take them into account too.
    If you take a gap year than that's another whole year of applying and especially seeing as it's now with achieved its tiny bit harder because hardly anyone gets their predictions. Even if u do go through a gap year, you could still do that if u don't do well on the bmat so it's not like u have to rule it out might as well try it and if u don't do well then so be it, you can take a gap year anyway.

Don't let it out u off applying to ukcat universities though, just perhaps don't limit it to near where you are atm and go for the most likely option.

I'm sure u would be good for any uni that has subtest cut off scores too if I vaguely remember ur score

ReputationRep:
    Would you say a score in the 8th decile is a good score?

ReputationRep:
    No. It definitely is worth a shot. I just filled out most of my ucas to give me some motivation >700 would be a guaranteed offer I presume but our scores are hopeful. Don't give up on it!

Had that experience at school so much before hahaha.

Heard squishy say take the BMAT... I am considering it but even if you ARE allowed, keep in mind you have only 1 month to prepare, your schoolwork ALL to catch up on and most likely your projects when you get back. BMAT is no easy thing either, no calculator for it and you need to write an essay and section 1 is very much problem solving. If you are REALLY determined, go for it but just want to make sure you know this because even for the UKCAT I am struggling to finish school HOMEWORK on time, let alone revise.
    Bmat is easier to prepare for, doing three weeks after school is fine; not ideal though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    say you are predicted A*A*A* for A level. does that mean when the uni gives you an offer it is lower than usual like AAB or even unconditional.
    Because the competition is so big in medicine, there is no chance of an unconditional (I never heard of anyone getting one, not unless they've got through the interview stage and have already got their A levels) nor would they set an offer of anything lower than AAA, regardless of what you are predicted.

Depending on what unis you are applying to or if you've been predicted an A* they may ask for an A*.

If you're lucky, then some unis may accept you on results day if you got A*AB as it can be seen as the equivalent of AAA but even then they may still reject you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayasparkles)
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayasparkles)
    100%. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My UKCAT is tomorrow ahhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    My UKCAT is tomorrow ahhhhhh
    Good luck!!!😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.